Why are these here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1Sailor

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Atlantic Prarie 30 LRC
There are 2 sets of 4 screws in my aft cockpit bulkhead. They have nothing that they are holding inside the bulkhead. Why were they put here?

Attachments

• HTm%C+mbT++7iymEKQRhZA.jpg
    HTm%C+mbT++7iymEKQRhZA.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 145
There might have been something there and they weren't sure if they were going to reinstall it AND maybe easier to leave the screws than patch the fiberglass.

Davits???

There might have been something there and they weren't sure if they were going to reinstall it AND maybe easier to leave the screws than patch the fiberglass.

Doesn't look like there was ever anything there. Not the right place for davits.

Maybe hinge bracket holes for a cockpit table?

Conversation pieces and clearly they are working just fine.

I had a lifering holder mounted on the aft side of my cockpit bulkhead. When I removed it, I simply replaced replaced the screw using some butyl tape rather than try and patch it. On the opposite side the PO had originally had the SeaWise davit lift braced against the aft side of the cockpit bulkhead. They moved the bracing to the swim step (where they should have mounted it to begin with). They left the bolts that went through the bulkhead. I ended up using those to mount my rigid Lifesling box.

Probably too many holes but possibly a fender holder rack was mounted there?? Or boarding stairs?? Can't quite tell exactly where they are on the boat, side or back?

Maybe hinge bracket holes for a cockpit table?

This would be my guess. If I were a Prairie 30 owner that is where I would put a table with some nice chairs. A great area to enjoy a frosty beverage.

I can't imagine what was mounted there, so can't help with the investigation. I can help with the fix.
Get some thickener and some gelcoat in the colour of your transom. Take out the screws. Drill out the holes with a countersink drill. Mix the gelcoat and thickener, apply, scrape it level, let it set. sand lightly, just the new stuff, apply some unthickened gelcoat. Once it has set, leave it a few days, Compound it and wax. Next year you won't be able to find where those ugly holes are.

A very wide grill

Thanks for all your wonderful, thoughtful replies ❗️ ?. The cockpit is really small with not too much room to mount anything external. The boarding ladder is off to the starboard side of the cockpit. They were probably put there for something ❗️The job was well done, perfect alignment, and very neat. Doesnt any Prarie 29 owner have these same screws or anything mounted there❓

I think Benthic2 is correct ❗️ They are for the flux capacitor❗❗️��

The picture Benthic2 posted is my boat. We bought it 2 years ago. Any other Prairie 30 owners have these screws❓

Ok, I'll take a shot. crawl down into the lazarette. Look up there, and see what they are fastening.

I would bet they are a 'removed item' (grill table brackets, bait table brackets, just plain table brackets) OR are reinforcing blocks between the inner cockpit component and the hull to stiffen them both.

OR (in a long shot idea) were backing blocks for something mounted on the outside of the hull (davits come to mind) By looking up in the lazarette you could ascertain if there are any gelcoat patching runoffs dripping down from the hull side to confirm. I have about 40 of these little 'reminders' on my boat all over the place. It was done by previous owners, who then awlgripped over them all. So I have a hard time rationalizing removing them all to have dozens of patch jobs to highlight mine!
IMG_0467.jpg
Here’s a representative of some of my darling screws on the long long list of things to patch.

Coincidentally, I have the same round 'vent' on that side, which was installed (I believe) as a way to have a hand access area to bolt on the outboard bracket on the transom. It IS accessible from the lazarette (Been there, done that.)

Last edited:
Must have in the past held on something, no reason for the builder to put in those small holes, not big enough for venting. If something was removed, it was either broken or dumb idea to install in first place.

Maybe two fishing rod holders used to be there. The kind that bolt on.

IMG_2462.JPG

Just saw this on a CHB - transom backing plate screw holes for an exterior mounted davit

Theses appear to be from an enclosure that used to wrap around the back

Ok, I'll take a shot. crawl down into the lazarette. Look up there, and see what they are fastening.

I would bet they are a 'removed item' (grill table brackets, bait table brackets, just plain table brackets) OR are reinforcing blocks between the inner cockpit component and the hull to stiffen them both.

OR (in a long shot idea) were backing blocks for something mounted on the outside of the hull (davits come to mind) By looking up in the lazarette you could ascertain if there are any gelcoat patching runoffs dripping down from the hull side to confirm. I have about 40 of these little 'reminders' on my boat all over the place. It was done by previous owners, who then awlgripped over them all. So I have a hard time rationalizing removing them all to have dozens of patch jobs to highlight mine!
View attachment 76673
Here’s a representative of some of my darling screws on the long long list of things to patch.

Coincidentally, I have the same round 'vent' on that side, which was installed (I believe) as a way to have a hand access area to bolt on the outboard bracket on the transom. It IS accessible from the lazarette (Been there, done that.)

Back
Top Bottom