Perkins help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ripsangler

Hello all. I’m a new member thank you for having me. I have Perkins 6.354 turbo charged engines is in my 31 Bertram. I know this is a trawler forum but it seems I’m the only sport fish around with these engines. Does anybody have an answer to the Mani cooler problems with these engines. My port engine cooler must have a pinhole in it somewhere and I lose a slight bit of anti-freeze when running around 2300 rpm’s. I am told that they do not make these coolers anymore. And I just had this engine rebuilt. Thank you again, Kurt

Welcome aboard Kurt.

We just pulled ours apart as we were loosing coolant as well. If it was just rebuilt, it should come apart relatively easily (not yet full of krud). we just had ours welded/machined at a local machine shop when we had a small hole develop pushing coolant into the ocean. very economical if you can pull it yourself.

I've heard rumor of someone re-routing to an aftermarket cooler but I don't know where to point you for that. It really seems like a pain since you'd need the exhaust and intake manifolds fabbed.

Also, are you sure you're not just pushing it out the cap? Our coolant level at rest is lower than you would think. Finally at 2300 rpms, that's pretty hard on these. I think red line is 2450? maybe that's just on mine. Someone more knowledgeable will step in, I'm sure.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I see a slight white wisp of steam coming out of the exhaust. I took the complete cooler off and pressure tested the Raw water cartridge and it came out good. Machined the opening for it and resealed it. There must be a pinhole somewhere else in the cooler. The steam doesn’t show up until the turbo start kicking in.

Manicoolers are no longer made by Perkins. You might be able to find a serviceable used one and less likely a new old stock from a dealer for big $$$.

But someone makes a fabricated version, not cast iron for several thousand dollars. Call Trans Atlantic Diesels, they may be able to help.

David

Spoke with mesa marine. It will take $15,000 to build the first one. After that they think they can sell them for 5000 each. The only way to get it going would be to get a group together that need them and pull the money to get the ball rolling. It sounds like there is going to be a large need for these coolers. Thanks for all your help guys great information

You might try Bowman out of the U.K.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom