On the rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ole Hank

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hanks Dream
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler44
Seen this 42 ST in Guana. Next day past him on the rocks entering Black Sound Green Turtle Cay. Props damaged but otherwise intact. 20180430_160913.jpeg

Did you catch the name?

Linda Lee out of Venice Florida.

It 'looks' OK, but every time I see a boat get hauled after such a grounding, upon closer inspection it ends up being prop(s), shaft(s), rudder post(s), and strut(s). Often a strut will punch up into the hull, usually partially. This is usually expensive and time-consuming.

It 'looks' OK, but every time I see a boat get hauled after such a grounding, upon closer inspection it ends up being prop(s), shaft(s), rudder post(s), and strut(s). Often a strut will punch up into the hull, usually partially. This is usually expensive and time-consuming.

Or sometimes not...IMG_0128.jpg

Just some minor fiberglass repair on the hull.

That channel is very narrow, but short and really well marked. Also, it's the Bahamas, so that shallow yellow bar sticks out really well in most light conditions. You've really got to be trying to go aground there.

On the bright side, he is only a few hundred yards from a boat yard with a lift.

Late afternoon and early morning heading into the sun, it is real difficult to read water color.

Hes back floating, only prop damage which were repaired pretty quick considering where we are. Glad to see it.

Isn't that the entrance to Cap Sante? And isn't stuck right next to the very large and visible Shallow Water sign?

Isn't that the entrance to Cap Sante? And isn't stuck right next to the very large and visible Shallow Water sign?

Yep! And right around the corner the coast guard had to install the channel markers backwards because the average boater couldn’t figure out which way the tide went.

Well it could have broke loose or lost power, or any number of reasons for it to be there.
Let’s not immediately assume that the captain was an idiot!:hide:

I suggest giving yourself an extra 3 feet during a falling tide so your photo doesn't end up in a boating forum.

Running aground on a rising tide is far less embarrassing. You can just pretend you've stopped for a few minutes to check something while you wait for the tide to lift you off. Then just continue your journey (if you have protected prop(s).

Running aground on a rising tide is far less embarrassing. You can just pretend you've stopped for a few minutes to check something while you wait for the tide to lift you off. Then just continue your journey (if you have protected prop(s).

Note to self: good time to inspect shaft zinc :whistling:

Full keel and protected prop on my Mainship 34 makes me think about purposefully beaching the boat at my local sand bar @ a good low/high tide for a good cleaning/inspection..

Haul out is very very far away.

Its when not if

Yep-its LindaLee out of Venice,Fl. on an outgoing tide, What you cannot see is the owner beating himself up for not paying enough attention to the reef and channel markers.
Fortunately, we were 100yards from Abaco Yacht Service,pulled and fixed the props and were able to leave 3 days later for West End . Great service from Scott & Crystal.
Have touched bottom several times over 60 years of boating but theres always an a feeling of stupidity when it happens.

BOB N

Yep, went in with the sun in his eyes, I'll bet. Major no-no in the Bahamas!

Yes, one needs to take extra care to avoid "Manfed von Richthofen" objects coming out of the sun. :eek:

Yep-its LindaLee out of Venice,Fl. on an outgoing tide, What you cannot see is the owner beating himself up for not paying enough attention to the reef and channel markers.
Fortunately, we were 100yards from Abaco Yacht Service,pulled and fixed the props and were able to leave 3 days later for West End . Great service from Scott & Crystal.
Have touched bottom several times over 60 years of boating but theres always an a feeling of stupidity when it happens.

BOB N

We've all been in similar trouble!! Glad you got a good recovery.

Let he who has never hit the bottom throw the first stone! :D

Yep-thats LindaLee. Luckily we were about 100 yds from Abaco Yacht Service where we had her hauled,props "tuned"and launched in 3days. Thanks to Scott and Crystal.
I have touched bottom several times in my 60 years of boating from Maine to Bahamas but this one (confused about a channel marker) left me feeling stupid. Not a mark on her hull,shafts or rudder.
Bob N

Yep-thats LindaLee. Luckily we were about 100 yds from Abaco Yacht Service where we had her hauled,props "tuned"and launched in 3days. Thanks to Scott and Crystal.
I have touched bottom several times in my 60 years of boating from Maine to Bahamas but this one (confused about a channel marker) left me feeling stupid. Not a mark on her hull,shafts or rudder.
Bob N

I've "parked" a boat in the Bahamas (our word for running aground)! :D

That came after my wife pointed to an aground boat one day, and asked, "Why are they parked there?"

Part of boating fun!

Back
Top Bottom