Nantucket- Gray Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shrew

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
N/A
Vessel Make
1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Is anyone familiar with mooring or anchoring in Nantucket (MA) harbor?

I found an ordinance from 1985 that references the dumping of graywater as being prohibited.

https://www.nantucket-ma.gov/documentcenter/view/631

I don't know of any navigating coastal waters with graywater tanks. I've only ever seen those on inland rivers and lakes.

I don't even have a means to prevent grey water discharge or to reroute it to the holding tank.

Is anyone familiar with this?

I think the answer probably lies in the definition of an “inland water” in the regs. It’s probably just that, as opposed to coastal waters which are federally regulated in this regard.

That ordinance specifies the TOWN of Nantucket, not all the waters surrounding the island. Go to Google maps and search for "Nantucket MA." When you see a map of the island, you'll see where the town is and shouldn't have a hard time figuring out why that ordinance exists. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you find another part of the island to settle down long enough to need to discharge gray water. The map didn't indicate whether there's any dockage in the town where you can even tie up and come ashore to sightsee. Time to google Nantucket tourist info.

Peggie

We've taken moorings there and there was no such restriction. That's been about 5 years, just check with Nantucket Moorings or the Boat Basin.
Peggy, there is a big marina, the Boat Basin, and a large mooring field. Lot's of dinghy dock too.

PS: make sure you bring a fat wallet or a high limit credit card.

But is all that in the TOWN of Nantucket? If so, they're obviously no longer enforcing it. As tight as that harbor appears to be on the map, with one very narrow inlet, I'm surprised.

Peggie

Yes, bring your wallet, all the millionaires have been kick out and replaced with multi Billionaires. Small slips $7.00 or $8.00 a foot per night before add-ons $50.00+ a night electric. Larger slips $11.00+ per foot per day.

But is all that in the TOWN of Nantucket? If so, they're obviously no longer enforcing it. As tight as that harbor appears to be on the map, with one very narrow inlet, I'm surprised.

Peggie

That's the only town by the harbor. But again the current and true answer is just a phone call away. I'd bet nothing's changed.

Many thanks for the replies. This is a 'bucket list' pin in the map for me, so I'm prepared to spend a few hundred extra dollars over the few days to experience the destination. This is a little like dissuading someone from going to Disney because Six Flags is closer and more affordable.

And it's Disney type crowded in season in town, even after Labor day, though the moorings and marina are less crowded then. For us, it was a "been there, didn't need to do that destination", but one doesn't know that for themselves until they go find out.
An alternative is to leave your boat on the southern Cape near Hyannis and take the ferry over and back for the day. I think it's about 80 bucks round trip.

Nantucket is an pretty spot, and I recommend a visit. I spent a lot of time there years ago, the last few visits , .. its Disney land of stuffy billionaires, the “quaint” downtown is more than 50% owned by a one major mall developer..... and $20.00+ for a affordable lunch, dinners menus no prices, (if you ask to ask)

The Steamship Authority ferries are still a bargain. $18.00 traditional slow speed to $50.00 fast ferry R/T same day from Hyannis. Visit New Bedford much better Whaling Museum and better and warmer Cape Cod beaches.

I wouldn’t worry about gray water, but almost everyplace is NO discharge of black water and you could be inspected, by Coast Guard and locals.

Last edited:
We anchor when there - just off the mooring field. We've also secured a mooring but enjoy the anchorage. We have our fold-up bikes on board and take them into a very nice dinghy public dinghy dock. Ifthere for a few days (we were there for a week last summer), you can lock them up at bike racks across the road. There are showers and restrooms there too. It is an easy walk into town and the Stop and Shop is not far. The public transit buses have a pretty good schedue too (not as good as Martha's Vineyard but certainly adequate). It is well worth the visit - a lot of history!!

Many thanks. We ended up requesting a reservation for a few nights on a mooring, I'm waiting for confirmation. I'd prefer to anchor, but AC seemed to indicate the anchorage was very small. I wanted to guarantee a spot.

There was once a girl from Nantucket
Kept grey water in a bucket
The bucket got filled
Then it got spilled
The girl from Nantucket said f*** it.

Been there a few times, no grey water restriction like in Lakes. The harbor really hustles in season, we anchored up in the back, which is pretty far from the very crowded dingy dock, a lot of current comes in and out of the harbor.
Interestingly enough, outside the harbor very quiet, everyone is jammed up in one location for some reason ...

There's no such thing as a crowded dinghy dock, only a painter that is too short. LOL ;)

I have no problem making a second or third row. I have a 20-25 ft painter. (I daisychain the spare on the dock to keep it neat and out of people's way).

I appreciate the feedback. I made a reservation for a mooring. A few folks have mentioned anchoring. We'll definitely be checking out the anchorage for any future visits.

I just got back from a 26 day cruise. We spent a few nights in Nantucket on a mooring. The folks at 'Nantucket Moorings' are amazingly organized and very, very helpful. It was well worth the visit.

Interesting that this destination is heavy with sailboats and trawlers. We saw 2 express cruisers there the entire time and one of them was over 50 feet.

Back
Top Bottom