Rooftop ac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
I’m ready to replace this old unit . It cooled good but it was loud and has seen far better days . We removed it from the pilot house today . It’s an old Dometic brisk air 13,500 btu . I’m wanting to go back with the Dometic 13,500 Brisk air 2 . But the Dometic 13,500 Penguin 2 has got my attention. It has a much lower profile. Does anyone here have any experience with the Penguin?

Attachments

• 2BE8D61E-0B05-415F-84B5-ED6C5B6FF6F2.jpg
    2BE8D61E-0B05-415F-84B5-ED6C5B6FF6F2.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 00BD6FE0-2F0F-42CE-80B8-9E5995CD0061.jpg
    00BD6FE0-2F0F-42CE-80B8-9E5995CD0061.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 120
200w.gif

Yup. You're welcome.
Thanks for the help RT . What would I’ve done without you . I decided against the Penguin unit and went the standard Brisk Air 2 and just ordered it today from Camping World . Thanks again .

You might get better response on an RV forum. Not too many have rooftop A/Cs on boats but almost all RVs do.

One big difference between rooftops is the starting amperage.

Campgrounds may have crappy wiring like marinas and dozens of folks on a circuit looking for air at the same time.

So the start amps can matter.

Just as in a marina 50A - 240V may be wired in.

I have found when 30A - 120V is also supplied the installers frequently have favored one leg of the 240 for the 120 outlets.

Having a (2) - 50A plugs each wired to deliver one side of the 250 may allow you to select the leg that has the fewest loads , and highest voltage, if you only need 30A 120V.

I put a brisk 2 on my RV last year .the only thing I didn't like was the thermostat and control box where not compatible with the old one (duel units).soo I'm using the manual controls until I change the other one .then I will have to update the control boxes and thermostat .

I should of just bought the cover for the old one but the unit is 20 years old .the cover was close to 200 with shipping and the whole new unit was less than 500 .if I remember correctly .

We got this new ac installed and running tonight . We’ve got plenty of other projects that need attention but this was priority to get season rolling.Simple install on a very simple trawler.

Attachments

• 54BE0911-B9DE-4D25-AD60-645361A72DC1.jpg
    54BE0911-B9DE-4D25-AD60-645361A72DC1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 84
Wow! 13500 BTU's ,especially being a rooftop model,probably cools your living space on the hottest of days with ease!

As hot air rises and cold sinks the rooftops a re great as the entire boat below fills with cold air and the hot air rises to be cooled.

After a short while most do great at the lowest setting , so are very quiet.

I have a rooftop rv a/c on my mainship 34.

Pro's
1 less thru hull
No pump intake to get clogged with stuff
Cheap

Con's
Noisy
water drain from compressor(have 2 tubes running off the sides)
not built to marine standards(mine is running fine after 4 years but it will fail)
Have to cut a hole in the ceiling.

All that being said mine is just too noisy. I'm not going to uninstall it but i'm looking for a traditional setup with a pump..

I also have a LG 8000btu portable unit in the berth which I actually like. blows really cold, drains into the bilge(dehumidifier too).

jeHjvTSl.jpg

"Have to cut a hole in the ceiling.

All that being said mine is just too noisy. I'm not going to uninstall it"

If the noise is the blower a low speed usually helps .

If the noise is mechanical , it could be from the installation.

These units weigh 125 to 150lbs so usually need the hole in the overhead to be reinforced as a head sea can create a G load that hammers on for hours.

Try pushing up on the overhead to see if the noise lessens .

Newer units are usually quieter , the mount hole is the same 14x14.

Last edited:
Marty, nothing wrong about keeping it simple on a trawler. Maybe it’s the camera angle but the new unit profile looks taller ? Has the sound level improved on the new unit ? I’m seeing a few boats switching to the air cooled split systems which probable work great away from salt air.
William’s looking great as always.
Bill

Marty, nothing wrong about keeping it simple on a trawler. Maybe it’s the camera angle but the new unit profile looks taller ? Has the sound level improved on the new unit ? I’m seeing a few boats switching to the air cooled split systems which probable work great away from salt air.
William’s looking great as always.
Bill
I think it might be a little shorter in length making it look a little taller . It’s not as loud outside but the inside noise is about the same. I hope it will last a few summers. It’s not as heavy as the older unit, more plastic parts on this one . The distribution box is better. Air exits on each side , front and back and also in the center . I may be wishing I spent a little more and purchased the Coleman unit .

Last edited:
"I’m seeing a few boats switching to the air cooled split systems which probable work great away from salt air."

The Euros and Turks use them all the time , plenty salty.

I recently converted my boat a hatteras split systems from marine after getting tired of cleaning strainers and high cost of repairs , if you have room I would highly recommend it. I actually mounted the condenser units in same spot the marine air was and fabricated a vent duct to exhaust the air out the hull using a screened flapper vent , looked like it was made for the boat , these typically are more efficient and a whole lot less cost and one less hole in the boat to worry about.

We got this new ac installed and running tonight . We’ve got plenty of other projects that need attention but this was priority to get season rolling.Simple install on a very simple trawler.

Marty: What do you think the total weight of the installation came to?

Marty: What do you think the total weight of the installation came to?
75 to 80 lbs at the most . The specs say it weighs a little more than but I don’t think so. Joy and I stood on the dock and lifted it up on the roof . I didn’t even have to take a nitroglycerin pill.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom