Burgee flags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tamrow

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Chesapeake
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II
The burgee flag that came with my previously owned Mainship Pilot is faded so I would like to replace it. I like the design but might think about a new design idea. It appears to be a good quality nylon stitched flag and I would like to have the new one match the quality. Has anyone found a good resource for flags. I found a site called Embassyflag.com that does custom flags. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you,

IMG_1816.jpg

I’m a little confused. What does the burgee you have represent?

Custom Flag Maker

There is a custom flag maker on ETSY - "Pamela the Flag Chick". Quality work and materials 7 great communication. She's making a replacement pennant (approx. $60) that just blew off in a storm.
The lost pennant was two years old and somewhat faded from 24/7 exposure. The new mount allows for convenient removal of the pennant pole, so I'll bring it in daily like the flag.
Hope this helps.

The traditional name for a flag maker is a vexillographer. Google didn`t much like it either, but it`s right.
Could the burgee in post 1 be a Mainship burgee?

When you order the flag have them make you a cover.
I've made a few for friends and they really help pennant life.
For the bottom mounted staffs you need a cord in the hem or grommet to prevent them falling off.
Fairly EZ home project from a scrap of material and most any sewing machine.

The burgee flag that came with my previously owned Mainship Pilot is faded so I would like to replace it. I like the design but might think about a new design idea. It appears to be a good quality nylon stitched flag and I would like to have the new one match the quality. Has anyone found a good resource for flags. I found a site called Embassyflag.com that does custom flags. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you,

View attachment 75734

It's definitely not a Mainship flag. It looks to be a Yacht Club or Boat Club Flag. If you know the area your boat came from, you might want to search around that area for clubs. Thinking about it, it maybe a Power Squadron pennant.

Last edited:
Thinking about it, it maybe a Power Squadron pennant.

I was heading down the same path. Something in the back of my mind rang a bell that it might be Coast Guard Auxiliary or something similar.

My wife made covers for both forward and aft flag poles. The flag on
the bow was used on a car side window, I removed the plastic pole that
fastens to the window and put two grommets for mounting.

Attachments

• P4300545.jpg
    P4300545.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 94
  • P4300547.jpg
    P4300547.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 89
I scanned the USPS pennants both current and inactive squadrons and couldn't find anything similar.

A burgee typically represents an affiliation with an organization, like a yacht club, or (as mentioned above) USCG Power Squadron.

I wouldn't want to be flying a burgee that I didn't know the origin or what group it represented. I certainly wouldn't want to insinuate that I'm a member of a group when I'm not.

A burgee typically represents an affiliation with an organization, like a yacht club, or (as mentioned above) USCG Power Squadron.

I wouldn't want to be flying a burgee that I didn't know the origin or what group it represented. I certainly wouldn't want to insinuate that I'm a member of a group when I'm not.

Bump

I had thought that it might be from a Yacht Club but I didn’t follow up and soon forgot about it. Today, after some research I found the club the burgee belongs to (see the link below). Thanks for the notice. My next step will be to design my own and have someone reproduce it. Any other suggestions for making custom pennants is welcome. Thanks!

http://www.edgewoodyachtclub.com/

Careful. They may come around to collect the dues--not to mention the new clubhouse fund.:socool::lol:

The traditional name for a flag maker is a vexillographer.

"Pamela the Vexillographer Chic" just doesn't make the same splash!:)

Last edited:

Great idea Milt! Looks good.

Pamela is great to deal with.

There is a custom flag maker on ETSY - "Pamela the Flag Chick". Quality work and materials 7 great communication. She's making a replacement pennant (approx. $60) that just blew off in a storm.
The lost pennant was two years old and somewhat faded from 24/7 exposure. The new mount allows for convenient removal of the pennant pole, so I'll bring it in daily like the flag.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for her recommendation.:dance:

The Trawler Forum burgee is a well made burgee, Burgees.com

The Trawler Forum burgee is a well made burgee, Burgees.com

I would get one except - I have a yacht club burgee, an MTOA burgee and a DeFever burgee. It would look like flag day every day around here if I flew them all!

Custom

I would get one except - I have a yacht club burgee, an MTOA burgee and a DeFever burgee. It would look like flag day every day around here if I flew them all!

I wanted a custom Burgee and this option here in B.C. Canada was great.

You know you have that flag upside down right?

I prefer to fly the builder's burgee on the bow since it is made of silk and sensitive to wind direction. Cruisers and Trawlers burgees can fly from either port or starboard mast spreaders, but would it be proper to fly them all at once?

Attachments

• Petaluma entrance.jpg
    Petaluma entrance.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 21
I wanted a specific design and lettering. Your recommendation fails on that.

The TF members here came up with a concept and Burgees.com manufactured it.

Pretty simple concept.........other than we took a long time to come up with the concept. So what part of my recommendation failed?

Cheers

Custom design.

The TF members here came up with a concept and Burgees.com manufactured it.

Pretty simple concept.........other than we took a long time to come up with the concept. So what part of my recommendation failed?

Cheers

They do not do custom design.

I prefer to fly the builder's burgee on the bow since it is made of silk and sensitive to wind direction. Cruisers and Trawlers burgees can fly from either port or starboard mast spreaders, but would it be proper to fly them all at once?

Stern staff is reserved for country of registration. Bow staff is usually reserved for yacht club affiliation. No club affiliation then you can fly marquee flag of choice. You can fly all the flags you want but be careful to not fly them out of order. Starboard has rank over port and higher has rank over lower. So fly your country courtesy flag top starboard to not insult your host country. There are a whole list of rules when it comes to flying multiple affiliate burgees and officer flags.

I think the below is correct.
Stbd reserved for the courtesy flag you are headed for and visiting.
Center flag, country of origin ie US flag, while underway. Stern flag, country of origin.... flown when ship is in port. 'The Navy way.'
Port, quarantine flag and or calling for tender service.
Bow flag, club burgee or some other foolish flag. Ideal place to post a flag/burgee sensitive to wind.

Side note: I'd like a Bermuda Yacht Club burgee to fly but, dont want to join. I dont think my boat could make the trip on its bottom.

Last edited:
Stern staff is reserved for country of registration. Bow staff is usually reserved for yacht club affiliation. No club affiliation then you can fly marquee flag of choice. You can fly all the flags you want but be careful to not fly them out of order. Starboard has rank over port and higher has rank over lower. So fly your country courtesy flag top starboard to not insult your host country. There are a whole list of rules when it comes to flying multiple affiliate burgees and officer flags.
I think the below is correct.
Stbd reserved for the courtesy flag you are headed for and visiting.
Center flag, country of origin ie US flag, while underway. Stern flag, country of origin.... flown when ship is in port. 'The Navy way.'
Port, quarantine flag and or calling for tender service.
Bow flag, club burgee or some other foolish flag. Ideal place to post a flag/burgee sensitive to wind.

Side note: I'd like a Bermuda Yacht Club burgee to fly but, dont want to join. I dont think my boat could make the trip on its bottom.
My understanding (ill do some more digging and report back) is it depends...
If you have a bow staff I believe that is the second priority after the stern and courtesy flag of another country, you have cleared customs, is flown at the bow.
If no bow staff, Stbd spreader is the next highest priority.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom