Towing a runabout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, so true. Especially in the gorge.

Sam;
I have towed a 19 foot aluminum boat from the San Juan's to Alaska and back. You just need enough time to be able to pick your weather, knowing you are towing a tender. Make a cover that snaps on for the open bow so if you do take water over the bow, most will go overboard. You also should have good scuppers for the open bow to drain well.

Almost the entire passage is protected waters except for 3 open water passages. So most of the time you are fine.

Make certain the tow bridle has some shock absorbing capabilities. On mine I use Amsteel line which has no give, then I use some 3 strand nylon line at both ends to absorb the shock.

My biggest fear has always been having the tow eye in the bow of the tender break. This could happen if the tender gets sideways in a following sea, then the line is suddenly pulled tight.

This year I am towing a 15' Arima fiberglass boat.

The boat is an older Starcraft with an open bow. I will likely experiment on the Columbia with it this summer. Not sure if this is an absolute “no go” on inside passage trip or not with the open bow? I probably wouldn’t tow it in the ocean.

Riveted or welded seams... another portion of the "picture".

Hi Sam

That is as I supposed being it is an older StarCraft. Makes me ask... have you noticed any water ingress when the runabout simply sits in the water or when you use it? Rivets can "work" lose over the years a boat's aluminum flexing during use or towing. Not that they will necessarily pop-out of place... but that the seam may begin to leak in areas - as compared to welded which usually maintains a tight seal. With rivets they may look tight but not be; welds can usually be visually recognized as failing and needing re-weld.

So... In addition to the many thought provoking items regarding things to do [have available / make happen / be aware of] when towing a runabout: Keep in mind that if the rivets are lose and leaking in rough water for hours of travel that too may add to water buildup in the towed boat. Water has weight; as little as 20 gallons [being 166.8 lbs.] sloshing around can put unusual stain on tow lines in wave conditions as well as make the towed boat act differently.

There are a couple ways to minimize water staying in the towed boat [no matter how it gets in while towing]. That's another topic all together. Don't have time this morn to post it.

Don't be scared... towing is great! Just gotta be cautious on all parameters that may be encountered.

Good advice! I see folks towing all kinds of stuff. Trailer it to Puget Sound and pick it up my friend.

Good idea practicing on the Columbia as this will give you a hint of haw it will react to current. Also practice pulling it in and side tying to the mother ship. Get a routine going so you don't back over the tow line.....

Given that you have done the trip several times, would the runabout be more of a pain than necessary or an asset? Will the 9’ Livingston be just fine and less of a hassle. Perhaps we would be fishing more from restitution’s decks than the runabouts anyway? In summary, is it even worth it to drag the runabout?

Given that you have done the trip several times, would the runabout be more of a pain than necessary or an asset? Will the 9’ Livingston be just fine and less of a hassle. Perhaps we would be fishing more from restitution’s decks than the runabouts anyway? In summary, is it even worth it to drag the runabout?

I tow my 12 dink. But maybe for the first time, just take the Livingston. Then once you got it figured out, then tow the bigger boat to Puget Sound by trailer and pick it up.......

I tow my 12 dink. But maybe for the first time, just take the Livingston. Then once you got it figured out, then tow the bigger boat to Puget Sound by trailer and pick it up.......
That's what we're going to do with our13' Whaler. There's a launch ramp just about a mile from our daughter and SIL's home on the ship canal. We'll store the trailer at their house for the summer then trailer the Whaler back at the end of the summer.

Back
Top Bottom