Storing coolant hoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
I have a couple of our old hoses that I want to hang onto as spares. Is there a good way to store them so they don’t dry rot? I was thinking about just slathering in 303 and sealing up, but they are too big for a Ziplok bag.

Any ideas? IMG_0783.jpg

What is the date the hoses were manufactured?
It is printed on the hose.
Then think, how do you think they were stored until you bought them????
IF you are very lucky, they were stored in a A/Ced warehouse
IF not lucky, just a warehouse, winter and summer.
How old are the hoses on your boat??? I think there is some sort of recommendation to change hoses every so many years even if they are still good.
I went through this when I had my boat surveyed for insurance, on my N46. It was a pain in the butt. Would have been easier and cheaper just to lie tell them I did it.

Cool and dark or w little light I suspect.
Wouldn’t think a hose would need a special place.
But I think common sense would store them well.
I have mine under the seat of the setee.

Dan,
Tell them you did what?

Last edited:
I store my old hoses in the trash can. I replaced them because they were old.

Cool and dark or w little light I suspect.
Wouldn’t think a hose would need a special place.
But I think common sense would store them well.
I have mine under the seat of the setee.

Dan,
Tell them you did what?

Yes, my insurance company and mortgage company wanted to me sign off that I had corrected the noted items.

I was good, I actually changed out the hoses.

Sure... I get they are old, we just replaced them in the late summer, but they WOULD be an easy fix in an emergency. Since genuine Volvo hoses are pretty expensive... Old and not broken beats the alternative. For now anyway.

Thanks for the tips.

If you have a vacuum food sealer, the bag is endless, so larger items can be sealed. Rubber products evaporate solvents as they age and excluding air slows the process. Also a good way to store spare parts. You can buy moisture absorbing products online to include in the bag.
I keep new spare water pump seals, bearings and other long term items in vacuum sealed bags. Even big things like raw water pumps and alternators.

If you have a vacuum food sealer, the bag is endless, so larger items can be sealed. Rubber products evaporate solvents as they age and excluding air slows the process. Also a good way to store spare parts. You can buy moisture absorbing products online to include in the bag.
I keep new spare water pump seals, bearings and other long term items in vacuum sealed bags. Even big things like raw water pumps and alternators.

Wow... hey, now this is a great idea. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom