Sterling vs Promariner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Since yesterday was xmas and I got 4 new gc2 batteries I m looking at upgrading my current charger.
I am looking at a Promariner Pronautic 1260P (60Amps).
Is there any difference between this one and the Sterling Procharge ultra 60Amps?
Except the color of course :)

L

I think they are the same. I just put a 1260P Promariner in my boat for the main charger. I have a 1215P for my stern thruster battery.

Same unit. I’ve heard that the Promariner is common in North America and the Sterling is found in Europe and elsewhere. I just replaced an old battery charger, Promatic 30-3, with a Pronautic 1260P. My batteries are happy!

Promariner

I found that bay marine supply had a very competitive price and shipping was reasonable.

Hodges Marine can be a good source.

Second Hodges.

Lou, you might want to download both ProMariner and Sterling manuals, no matter which you get. Between the two, you can usually puzzle out what the heck they're on about on some topics...

That was how I discovered the custom charging profile capability on our Promariner Combi inverter/charger was NOT IMPLEMENTED... clarified in the Sterling manual, "not admitted" (NA) in the ProMariner manual.

-Chris

I just put a Pronautic 1260 in my boat last fall. Very happy with it. Hodges had a great deal...

Yes, I bought both of my Promariners from Hodges. They had the best price at the time.

Good advice on all points.

Second Hodges.

Lou, you might want to download both ProMariner and Sterling manuals, no matter which you get. Between the two, you can usually puzzle out what the heck they're on about on some topics...

That was how I discovered the custom charging profile capability on our Promariner Combi inverter/charger was NOT IMPLEMENTED... clarified in the Sterling manual, "not admitted" (NA) in the ProMariner manual.

-Chris

I went for a sterling procharge ultra 60amp that I should receive next week.
Now I am on the hook to order my battery cables for the serie/parallel setup of the 4 gc2 and the cables for charger.

L

Great decision, Lou! This is going to be a big improvement on your electrical state at dock and on the hook. It's a fun project with immediate returns.

Great decision, Lou! This is going to be a big improvement on your electrical state at dock and on the hook. It's a fun project with immediate returns.

Next steps:
1. Build batteries support and cover.
2. Check old G31 if they are still good they will be dedicated to the bow thruster that I barely use.
3. Find where I will mount the sterling charger (not decided yet).
4. Decide of my alternator setup (1 alt, 2 or 3 bank to charge depending on point 2 above). Tending toward a promariner proisocharge but not sure yet.

So much fun coming ahead! :)

L

Your step three: my only suggestion is to mount your charger as close to the battery banks as possible to reduce the size and length of battery cable. For example, 6 awg battery cable will only give you ten feet, 4 awg will be good for 15 feet, etc.

Your step three: my only suggestion is to mount your charger as close to the battery banks as possible to reduce the size and length of battery cable. For example, 6 awg battery cable will only give you ten feet, 4 awg will be good for 15 feet, etc.

Yup indeed planned to install it near the batteries but have different options that are in the 3 feet range, battery compartment, engine compartment (old charger is there), on the lower part of the helm (benefit would be to always be able to see the display), back of the helm in the "electrical" closet.

L

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom