Propeller Pitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich K

Vessel Name
Daisy Mae
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3288
I am currently looking for my next boat here in the PNW, something between 34’ and 42’. One that caught my eye had something odd to me, that I need to ask about.

It has twin Lehman 120s but one prop is a 24LH17, and the other is a24RH18. I can’t imagine why they would have a different pitch. Wouldn’t be hard to sync the two engines if they are pitched different? Would there be any other results that might manifest themselves with such an arrangement?

Would appreciate any information or experience any of you have with such a thing, as I have searched on the web, and cannot find any information that would tell me if this was okay or not.
Thanks.
RichK

Check the transmissions. Perhaps they are slightly different ratios?

See if the blades have a slightly different shape and thus a different blade area. Then you either cut the other blade to match or match load w a pitch change.
If it’s not obvious measure balde width ect. One or both blades could have been modified. Another posibility is that pitch was taken out of one to balance the load and not marked on the hub or the prop man forgot to mark it.

The only real way yo tell the pitch is to have a prop man check it on the prop dies.

I have heard of the counter rotating trans going out because of the makers running the trans in reverse. then later people put in one twin disk trans .maybe the ratios are a little off.

+1 on the transmission ratios being different.

Pitch difference

I have a similar condition on La Vita Dolce, a 1986 Cheoy Lee 40 with Lehman 135s. Apparently there wasn't a 2 to 1 left hand trans available when she was built, so the diffrrence was made up on the prop. My Port engine has a 1.91 to 1 ratio.
PO had contacted the factory about yhis when he bought the boat, and their response letter is still with her papers.
It does, however make the synchronizer off a bit, as mine reads off the shafts.
JohnS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom