Yachting Caps Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
giphy.gif

This is what I wear on special occasions like Memorial Day coming up.

Attachments

• Navy Cap.jpg
    Navy Cap.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 52
OK here is a test. I wore one all thru HS and when working for my dad on his salmon troller on the coast. He wore won thru the war and after in his early tugboat days. Its white in color. Its called an S.U.P. cap. What does the S.U.P. stand for? Still see them in the odd boating store, not WM though. Any takers?

Fellow on the right is wearing an S.U.P. cap, gent in the middle with the Cap'n's hat is my grandfather O.H."Doc" Freeman. They had just delivered the schooner "Adventuress" to Seattle from Frisco, early 50's.

Attachments

• IMG_20180425_0001_NEW.jpg
    IMG_20180425_0001_NEW.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 61
Is that "Doc" Freeman who developed the Wood Freeman Metal Marine autopilot?

Nope, no relation. Doc Freeman started a boat sales/boat repair and store, "Doc Freemans" in Fremont, Seattle. Well known marine entrepreneur in this area. He died when I was a kid. His son Mark Freeman (my uncle) went on to run the business and started a tugboat company as well which still operates locally in Seattle with his son Erik at the helm. Mark died last year. The store folded years ago after a move to another location.

Fellow on the right is wearing an S.U.P. cap, gent in the middle with the Cap'n's hat is my grandfather O.H."Doc" Freeman. They had just delivered the schooner "Adventuress" to Seattle from Frisco, early 50's.

Not sure, sailors union of the pacific?

Haven't seen these pics in a while. I bet you those kids graduated college already.

mahal - Not yet. Let's not rush life!! LOL

Photo was 2008. Coop is a Christmas child and hit age 17 Dec 25th; near 6'4"... heck of a good basketball player. Kylie's 14 and looking real pretty!! Two great kids. This weekend we travel to be with another grand daughter; Helena - 11 yrs. old. She's becoming quite the high dive award winner. Two diving meets this weekend. :dance:

Got to have a little fun. Me on my buddies grady on our local pond for another relaxing float. That boat was splashed down for the season on Tuesday. Got to use the water nearby till the big move.IMG_13065444392316.jpeg

Not sure, sailors union of the pacific?
Give that man a Kewpie Doll!!! Yes, I was just about to spill the beans but you got it. Excellent! What do you win you may ask? Not a damn thing, but the distinction of getting a tough one right, and a big attaboy!! OK, how did you know, or how did you figure it out?

Give that man a Kewpie Doll!!! Yes, I was just about to spill the beans but you got it. Excellent! What do you win you may ask? Not a damn thing, but the distinction of getting a tough one right, and a big attaboy!! OK, how did you know, or how did you figure it out?

I used to work in Belltown, and I believe their meeting place was there. At least that was my recollection. I was pretty sure of the S.U. And guessed Pacific.

Ya done good! Last place I saw them for sale was Anacortes Marine Hardware several years ago, almost bought one...

Ya done good! Last place I saw them for sale was Anacortes Marine Hardware several years ago, almost bought one...

A "Ballard Stetson".

Seattle Marine & Fishing Supply, $15.30

Last edited:
Boats name is Badger, hat was a present. Have a wide brimmed hat for sunny days. My Dad lost part of his ear to cancer. Don't want to go there...

Attachments

• Feeding Time.jpg
    Feeding Time.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 47
Boats name is Badger, hat was a present. Have a wide brimmed hat for sunny days. My Dad lost part of his ear to cancer. Don't want to go there...

Wifey B: Sorry about your dad's ear, but that makes me point out something. Your cap doesn't protect your ear. Your wide brimmed does more I'm sure. My warning to all you cap and hat wearers would be to not think it's protecting your face or ears or forehead even and still use plenty of sunscreen. And as to "sunny days", the overcast days often sneak up on you. We are fanatics about sunscreen but I've seen those who thought it wasn't sunny or thought they stayed under a cover or this or that but ended up badly burned and that's not even counting just the accumulated sun over time. The last couple of weeks we've been in rather cool conditions, always under a top on the bridge even, but we still insist everyone on board be covered with high SPF sunscreen. And for those of you who are somewhat bald, sunscreen there too. For those of you with kids and grandkids, can't start too young with protection. :ermm:

Wifey B: Sorry about your dad's ear, but that makes me point out something. Your cap doesn't protect your ear. Your wide brimmed does more I'm sure...

You Florida, me north coast BC...different worlds!

You Florida, me north coast BC...different worlds!

Wifey B: Yes and no. Very different in frequency and intensity. Still have occasional sun where you are and still have people get sunburned. Does it take one time or a hundred times or a thousand times? Does it take burn or just a lot of sun?

You want to see sunburn, go to NYC on the first nice spring weekend when it warms up in the 50's. I'm sure you have people in your area who get burned the first nice weekend in spring. I remember growing up and people thought if they kept a good tan it protected them. I know Hispanics who think they don't need to worry because of their natural skin color. I've known blacks who joked about it and got badly burned.

I don't know the relative dangers one time to another or such, just know a lot of people from previous generations didn't take precautions and have suffered. I know women my age whose skin looks 20 years older. My generation is the tanning booth generation (No, I've never used one).

Respect the sun wherever and whenever. :)

A good friend of mine always wore a visor. Refused to wear a hat. She died last year from melanoma that started right on the top of her head.
John

Back
Top Bottom