Thread: Solo cruising
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Tsimitpo

RE: Solo cruising

Many thanks for those comments Benn and for the link to MV Lifeline. Sue's articles on setting up Lifeline are a great help. I was in Tassie recently and noted a few lovely looking cray boats there. A good line of thought. Your boat certainly seems to be a similar type to Lifeline but probably from a Brisbane background?

I rather like the separate pilot house of the Krogen designs and was made aware of this feature by Beebe in his book. There is a very similar design from Benford featured in the book that even has full standing headroom in the engine room of a 44 footer! I have searched the internet and haven't been able to find a version of this boat, although his firm offers plans for it. But I'm too old to build from scratch. I am quite surprised at the relatively low price of boats in the US and 42' Krogens 1984-6 models around US$150,000 I can afford. Mind you, our strong dollar helps.

As a matter of interest, you may like to look at a boat I saw in NZ recently, MV Fair Lady, also featured in Beebe. I nearly did a loop when I spotted it at the marina in Wellington and contacted the owner to find it is for sale. Too big and too dear for me but a great boat. It is detailed in http://www.nzboatsales.com/listings/...nt-launch.aspx The owner told me it was brought to NZ on its bottom. Has an interesting history.

Thanks again for your interest and will keep in touch,

Regards,

Doug
Tsimitpo is offline   Reply With Quote