Best sailor's knife for on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctbarbarian

Veteran Member
Any opinions on the best knife to carry on board
on your belt for an emergency ?
Will it work for underwater work for cutting crab pots lines?
Serrated or not ?
Thanks

If I were going for a single knife to have at hand for most situations on a boat, which I carried on my person. I would be:

-> Folding blade
-> Easily opened with one hand
-> serrated from heel to mid-blade
-> Sharp from mid-blade to tip
-> A decent amount of belly on the non-serrated portion
-> small enough to wear on a belt or keep in my pocket, large enough to be useful.

My go to knife.

Attachments

• 8DE9CAB0-CDDA-4A59-A88D-4CE89E06EE5D.jpg
    8DE9CAB0-CDDA-4A59-A88D-4CE89E06EE5D.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 3FDEADB5-2D45-414E-BC7A-004412FC5A70.jpg
    3FDEADB5-2D45-414E-BC7A-004412FC5A70.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 135
  • E79EB2BB-20E4-4291-8383-368F33F8641B.jpg
    E79EB2BB-20E4-4291-8383-368F33F8641B.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 133
It should be serrated if you want to cut a nylon crab or lobster pot. I carry a couple 6 - 8 in. long ones for that exact reason. Nothing fancy cost wise.

The scope of the OP request looked like it was knife, most likely worn for emergencies. A riggers knife (post #2 & #6) are nice, but unless you plan on emergency splices, things like a marlin spike are probably not necessary.

A knife, like a boat is full of compromises. No one does everything well. The riggers knives (or any all serrated knife) will cut things like rope well, however they won't slice.

If I were going for a single knife to have at hand for most situations on a boat, which I carried on my person. I would be:

-> Folding blade
-> Easily opened with one hand
-> serrated from heel to mid-blade
-> Sharp from mid-blade to tip
-> A decent amount of belly on the non-serrated portion
-> small enough to wear on a belt or keep in my pocket, large enough to be useful.

That is a great description. I have several knives on board and one usually goes in my pocket. One is exactly as you describe and is the most useful. I do have two knives that are serrated their full length which is better for cutting line but not as useful for other general purposes.

Spyderco makes rescue knives with serrated blades for Emergency Responders that are also good. Sometimes having a point isn't a good thing, you can stab yourself or someone else when what you want to do is cut. The rounded tip rescue knives can be inserted between things (like seat belts) without cutting what you don't want to cut.

No knife fills every purpose... Spyderco is hard to beat for the price.

Victorinox

I was a commercial fisherman for years and I've used a lot of knives but the best is Victorinox serrated paring knives. You can buy them by the dozen, they're extremely sharp, they're way better at cutting line than anything else, handy sheaths are available commercially specifically for boat work. All the local divers use them to clear pot warp from propellers and they're standard on commercial fishing boats.V802R_zoom.jpg Oh and they cost about six dollars by the each.

I was a commercial fisherman for years and I've used a lot of knives but the best is Victorinox serrated paring knives. You can buy them by the dozen, they're extremely sharp, they're way better at cutting line than anything else, handy sheaths are available commercially specifically for boat work. All the local divers use them to clear pot warp from propellers and they're standard on commercial fishing boats.View attachment 75531 Oh and they cost about six dollars by the each.

That's what I use, buy by the dozen and make them into steak knives when they lose their edge. These are extremely freaking sharp!

I was a commercial fisherman for years and I've used a lot of knives but the best is Victorinox serrated paring knives. You can buy them by the dozen, they're extremely sharp, they're way better at cutting line than anything else, handy sheaths are available commercially specifically for boat work. All the local divers use them to clear pot warp from propellers and they're standard on commercial fishing boats. Oh and they cost about six dollars by the each.

+1 I have 2 of these in the cockpit of the boat with sheaths hard mounted to bulkheads, within easy reach. The blade is all-serated, sharp as hell and they're dirt cheap.:D

That's what I use, buy by the dozen and make them into steak knives when they lose their edge. These are extremely freaking sharp!

And after they serve as steak knives I grind the serrations off and they make great paring knives. There's a place here in Maine that makes a nice sheath that can go on a belt or vertically on suspenders.........Our Fisherman's Knife Sheath - Plante Buoy Sticks

3"?

Hard time finding sheaths for the 4" version, which I'd prefer

You might try Fisheries Supply in Seattle or LFS in Bellingham. Both are big suppliers to the Alaska fishing fleet, which use a lot of these knives and related gear.

Working knife

For the past 30+ years, one of my requirements for a knife has been the ability to close it one handed as well as open it that way.
I second the folding sheepsfoot / EMT rescue blades, and while I do like the Spyderco knives, they are two-handed to close.
I have used a Gerber bolt-lock folder for many years, and am now carrying a Benchmade Barrage with a pull bolt lock for one hand closing.
The refrrenced fixed blade knives look good.
Try several, and find what fits your hand and useage.

Hi,

I watched as a kid MacGryger and since then I have been a fan of Victoniox. Between having to be at sea as MacGryger solved problems and many working with a knife can succeed in several cases.

8863266570270_celum_123875_560Wx490H.jpg

NBs

+1 on the victorinox. Have them all over the boat. Couple pairs of penny shears don’t hurt either. Used to grind the tips of the victorinox flat so you could not stab yourself and carry them as dive knife. Will cut you out of filament or line in a hurry.

I watched as a kid MacGryger and since then I have been a fan of Victoniox. Between having to be at sea as MacGryger solved problems and many working with a knife can succeed in several cases.

I've been carrying a Victorinox Swiss Champion -- I bought it in Brugge on a touring trip through the Zermatt/Matterhorn area -- on my belt for about 35 years. And I can use that, along with a Leatherman tool, for maybe 90% of boat fix-it chores.

I agree it's a great tool and a good recommendation for other work... but I think it's not what OP is after here. Opening one-handed is not gonna happen. It's also too bulky to be a true "pocket" knife. And the main blade doesn't really "lock" into the open position.

FWIW, the other knife I carry all the time is a Benchmade pocket "flick" knife, which means it's mostly a "one-handed" piece. When we're fishing, the mate carries a Kershaw spring-assisted pocket knife. We keep a Buck folder onboard, for various chores, but it's not a "one-handed" model. My onboard emergency belt knife is a SOG "Pentagon" model, a 5" fixed blade with straight edge on one side and serrated on the other. Their shorter model might be less cumbersome when wearing it...

-Chris

Last edited:
Spiderco, lock blade partially serrated folding knife. There is a tactical version with a push button opening popular with fire fighters but may be restricted in some areas. With some practice the folding knives can be opened with one hand. Handy to have a belt clip. Smith and Wesson and others are less expensive versions.

Bought this Spyderco and by accident touched the tip, which isn't even pointed, to my thumb and cut myself. This thing is the most ridiculously sharp knife I've ever owned. It cut though a piece of rope like it wasn't even there. Very impressive.

Spyderco Atlantic Salt Rust Free Serrated Edge Knife, Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FLTP0A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_fKQ8y4rYTsSYh

Never take a knife in the water you don't mind losing if you drop it.

Ted

When we did the inland rivers I carried a couple of large non folding serrated knives in case one of the floating bollards in a lock got stuck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom