KK42 Restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys... I don’t mean to imply that you shouldn’t buy old KKs. In fact, i’ld do it again. She exudes quality craftsmanship. I guess the real moral of the story is when a boat is uncared for for 30 years there will be consequences. This was an illustration of what happens to electrical wiring and breakers in a humid tropical salt water environment over time. I guess the second take away is this: how many times have you stood in Home Depot looking at wiring (after checking prices at Worst Marine) and said to yourself: wow this wire is much cheaper here! I’m sure the boys in Taiwan didn’t give it a second thought.

IMG_0342.jpg

Expand the picture... note the green corrosion on the burnt wire...a sampling of all wiring including the mains confirmed the corrosion present on virtually all internal wiring. I’m not an electrician but what happens when you pump power down a wire with increasing resistance... you get a toaster. Another observation: maybe this is just the perfect storm of 99% humidity, salty air, un air conditioned enclosed spaces, 30 some odd years.... or, alternatively, you use untinned cheap ass wire instead of tinned to save a couple of bucks when you build the boat hoping your KK minder doesn’t check it before accepting the boat. Like I said I’m just as guilty... installing add on electronics with my trusty roll of Radio Shack wire. A cautionary tale and a mistake I’ll never make again. As you said: now I can sleep soundly again (and a heck of a selling point down the road).

More pics: IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

April 2018 Status. All and I mean All the wiring was redone. 20k later I have the wiring of a nuclear submarine. Seems like miles of old corroded wiring was stripped and replaced. Of note... all the main power wires used in the 1982 Kade-Krogen were “welding wire”. Upon slicing open the interior of the main leads from battery bank to power distribution panel were corroded throughout. My trusty electrician is also requiring the engine room power distribution panel and replaced the original panel in the salon with Blue Sea. Looks maavelous. Am now changing out Daydream’s 30 year old black water piping. Seriously considering PVC. Let’s see.. what else... will be installing twin Dometic ECD16k in the next month or so. P.O. ordered hull #28 sans A/C in Florida (who does that?). One under pilothouse port side and one under salon bar starboard side. Already wired just need to plumb. My A/C guy says I can use a single 1000gph pump wired to Dometic’s 3 unit relay (I have a small Webasto 9k I might plug into master stateroom)... My lovely P.O. pulled out the sub-zeros and installed a single dorm fridge and covered freezer hole with a panel. Pulled both and reinstalled u-line 24 SS Freezer/Fridge. Wow what a difference.

All 1 1/2 inch sanitation lines removed

That was truly nasty. Guest head line completely clogged with about a pencil diameter of throughput. Contemplating replacing with PVC. Hard part getting it fed under shower seat.

Repainting bilge

So I now have all plumbing removed from main stateroom bilge. Mass paint flaking from previous OEM coating. Also note 30 years of accumulated gunk. Also note overhead of bilge compartment unpainted. Florida humidity plus enclosed unventilated space.... yep black mold. Removed mold (don’t ask). Question: Marine “bilge paint” or kilz followed by Marine bilge paint... OR.... so I’m standing in ACE Hardware... I see “Flex-Seal” rubber coating in white.....anyone use this stuff? It’s in forward master stateroom bilge, no oil, no grease etc. just shower sump and various sanitation plumbing. Wondering if this isn’t maybe a better solution for coating the interior of the forward bilge....I’ve s raped off old paint, the underside of the deck in the stateroom is raw wood.....stringers in the space are uncoated as well... thoughts?

....the underside of the deck in the stateroom is raw wood.....stringers in the space are uncoated as well... thoughts?

If the wood is in good shape and has lasted 35 years so far, I might leave it and go on to other projects. The stringers in the forward cabin floor on Hobo are unpainted.

What a project you’ve got going. Keep up the good work. Any more pictures?

Thanks all! I’m up to my .... in this KK42. Just finishing up the complete Re wiring (20k) of Daydream. All new house, all new starter bank etc. interestingly enough Charlie Johnson (the Best KK42 electrician in Fla) observed that all, yes all the original heavy wiring used welding cable as opposed to legit Marine cable. Just an FYI.
rmu.mmi, what did you replace the welding wire with? I have the Krogen Silouette 42 and I am afraid I need to rewire. Just replace all three batteries and charger last week and found multiple issues at the starters. I have an electrician but trying to find out what wire I need to start price checking. As little as the electrician does the better LOL. Any help would be great. Not looking forward to doing this but Im afraid it has to be done. Im thinking of starting to source materials over the next few months and do it in "winter" in Charleston SC.

rmu.mmi, what did you replace the welding wire with? I have the Krogen Silouette 42 and I am afraid I need to rewire. Just replace all three batteries and charger last week and found multiple issues at the starters. I have an electrician but trying to find out what wire I need to start price checking. As little as the electrician does the better LOL. Any help would be great. Not looking forward to doing this but Im afraid it has to be done. Im thinking of starting to source materials over the next few months and do it in "winter" in Charleston SC.

Interesting KK,I have never seen that model before. How about some pics and info?

Thanks guys... I don’t mean to imply that you shouldn’t buy old KKs. In fact, i’ld do it again. She exudes quality craftsmanship. I guess the real moral of the story is when a boat is uncared for for 30 years there will be consequences. This was an illustration of what happens to electrical wiring and breakers in a humid tropical salt water environment over time. I guess the second take away is this: how many times have you stood in Home Depot looking at wiring (after checking prices at Worst Marine) and said to yourself: wow this wire is much cheaper here! I’m sure the boys in Taiwan didn’t give it a second thought.

View attachment 72028

Was the photo of the burnt wires taken behind the washer/dryer?
Tom

All the heavy cable on our Defever was welding wire. I’m told there was nothing inherently wrong with it as a conductor; it’s just not tinned and the casing may fail if exposed to diesel :eek:. I replaced all of it with proper tinned 4/0 Marine cable.

More pictures! Pretty please. :)

View attachment 72028

Surprisingly, WM does not sell tinned wire

Greetings,
As far as I know, tinned wire is not a legal requirement anywhere in NA. Strongly suggested perhaps but not necessary. Proper terminations and weatherproofing are much more important than tinning IMO.

That being said, try to explain that to an over zealous surveyor who's OK determines your insurance coverage...Just sayin'

Last time I looked WM sold Ancor wire which is all tinned.

I don't know what your referring to? almost ALL the wire at WM is tinned??

if the wire is silver its tinned

HOLLYWOOD

I have not seen the obvious tin at WM
I do know, marine type wire is required to multi strand.

I have not seen the obvious tin at WM
I do know, marine type wire is required to multi strand.

Tinned wire is silver.. un-tinned is copper .. easy to tell the difference.

I have never seen un-tinned wire sold at WM.. unless they carry it at WM Nevada or someplace without salt water

Finer multi strand for flex, tinned for corrosion.

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• tinned wire.jpg
    tinned wire.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom