Noco Genius Gen 3 battery charger - any feedback?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
I just seen the noco genius GEN3 battery charger, 30A, 3 banks capable.
Does anybody have experience/feedback about this one?

L

I checked it out. Besides being rather expensive, each output is only 10A. And I don't know if it meets marine UL specs even though it claims to be waterproof.

Interestingly in checking for something comparable, I saw the same specs on a Guest charger at Defender including the 10A limitation at the same price. Probably made by the same Chinese manufacturer as the Noco.

I also saw this 20A Promariner charger with three outputs that will let one output provide the full 20A if required- https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|328|2289962|2289965&id=2350811

That is double what you are going to get out of the Noco at $100 cheaper and it is also waterproof. Don't know if it is marine UL rated but Defender only carries quality marine products.

David

Lou, my understanding, charger output needs to be at least 10% of battery capacity. Check if a charger can send all the amps to one batt bank if it is the only one needing charge.

The 10% rule of thumb is a good generalization but just that. It all depends on how you use your batteries.

If you return to the dock with your batteries down maybe 20-30% after anchoring out overnight, you have a moderate size say 200 Ah house bank and you will be at the dock for at least a few days before going out again, then you could get by with 5%.

OTOH like me you have 200 Ah of capacity, you anchor out for 3-4 nights at a time and use your genset to power your shore power charger for an hour or so each day to keep the batteries up, then you need the maximum recommended for your batteries- 25% for FLA, a bit more for AGMs to minimize genset running time.

Even a 2% charger will fully charge the batteries in a few days.

David

Thank you David, thank you Bruce!
Good feedback from both of you.

L

Lou, what's your overall battery capacity, how many banks, etc.?

Seems to me I remember you want to anchor out a lot without running the genset too much?

Might be a situation where a bigger charger would be better in the long run...

-Chris

Lou, what's your overall battery capacity, how many banks, etc.?

Seems to me I remember you want to anchor out a lot without running the genset too much?

Might be a situation where a bigger charger would be better in the long run...

-Chris

My current capacity is around 220Ah (two G31) and I am looking at increasing it to around 460Ah (4 GC2).
Indeed I am mainly anchoring 2 to 4 days in a row and I am trying to avoid running the gen.

Current charger is working fine but old one so is on my list of upgrade (long list :) )

L

You can jumper all the outputs together to one bank.

Noco is not nearly as good as Promariner, Sterling.

I would never buy a charge source that wasn't user adjustable.

My current capacity is around 220Ah (two G31) and I am looking at increasing it to around 460Ah (4 GC2).
Indeed I am mainly anchoring 2 to 4 days in a row and I am trying to avoid running the gen.

Thought that's what I remembered...

You might consider a charger that puts out about as many amps as your batteries will be able to accept at a fast rate. Even a 60A charger would only be providing approx .13C of 460-Ah. That at least would put max charge back into the batteries with maybe only a one hour run (for example) of the genset if you have to charge while anchored out.

-Chris

I am leaning toward promariner at this time, their 1260P model looks good to me.
I may change my mind like usually :)

L

Top choice, right size for 460AH FLA.

If you were going to buy quality AGM, a bit underpowered for maximizing longevity.

Doubling up two (say 80A) units adds redundancy.

I may keep the old charger in place to connect it to the start battery as this one is barely discharged. Boat is usually started once in a day and the starter runs for a second.
This would give me a backup in case. Will see, will depend on the space I need and how I setup all my sick ideas :)

L

Actually the NOCO Genius series is extremely nice stuff. Beautifully built. Good warrant and service. I know a few guys with them and they are very happy. Seem to adapt to AGM and others just fine according to guys who switched to AGM from wet cell. I plan on putting one on my Whaler when I bring it to the dock behind my home. Having owned a Promariner, I would put the NOCO quality above it.

By the way, I have one of their little battery jump starters, it is a great device I wish I'd had on my big boat for the generator and the dinghy.

My wife just bought me 4GC2 at costco for 132$CA each, it is Christmas!!!

L

Have been using a NOCO for 4+ years, 4 bank 10 amp in an offshore boat. Just using to top off the batteries but it's been solid.

I have two Noco chargers and am happy with them. One charges the house bank and cranking battery, and a separate one charges the generator cranking and windlass battery. So far so good. They are NOT smart enough to be an always on battery tender, but charge well. I have had them in for 3 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom