Old 11-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #24
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Too much anchor

I got the mud stuff from an anchor test in "Sailing today". They said:
The Scoop's downside for us is that it would require a new bow roller, but they have a further negative attribute in that they compact the seabed within the scoop - possibly due to the constraint of the roll bar. This compacted mass of seabed is retained by the anchor when it's lifted, increasing the weight of the anchor and discouraging it to reset should it ever drag. Furthermore if, when the anchor is initially dropped, it becomes clogged with weed, then the only way to retrieve the situation is to lift the anchor, clear the weed and try to reset it - not a task I fancy on a cold, wet night.
I did'nt come up w that on my own. Did'nt think about it till I read that. And of course it has'nt happened to me w my Supreme but I have'nt even anchored in mud w it. I've probably only used it about 6 times. *Sometimes you're like a little goat w your little feet jammed into the ground determined not to move an inch. You say "spade type anchor" * * .......OK I'll put you down for a Spade anchor. And about the scaling * ...I think ya got me there. You're right. "Everything scales". *That's true. Everything does scale. But (I'll be the goat now) I'm not sure a 15lb anchor and a 65lb anchor is enough "scale" to experience a real world effect. May be though. Probably does to some degree w Carl's monster anchor. *So I'll give in poo pooing the scale effect. But I do'nt think the regular guy on this forum needs to consider it while looking for an anchor. Did you see on the other thread where the Spade anchor people weighed in here on TF? *Nice response.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote