Would you buy a boat with engines like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westiculo

Vessel Name
Rose Mary
Vessel Make
42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
I just finished painting and doing a bunch of other much-needed crap to the old girls. They are needy!
The temptation was too great to just buy 'ford red' every time I needed a new can of paint. So, they came out a little wild.
Whaddya think; yay, or nay??

Attachments

• The Girls.jpg
    The Girls.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Princess.jpg
    Princess.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 225
  • and Susie.jpg
    and Susie.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 243
I just finished painting and doing a bunch of other much-needed crap to the old girls. They are needy!
The temptation was too great to just buy 'ford red' every time I needed a new can of paint. So, they came out a little wild.
Whaddya think; yay, or nay??
Man, I love it! Nice colorS!

L

I think I would have to get use to it but it just might grow on me

Did you spray or brush?

Colorful for sure. Is that a normal water addition location at the exhaust elbow?

Colorful for sure. Is that a normal water addition location at the exhaust elbow?

I believe so; the elbow was definitely manufactured with that inlet right there. Where does it usually go in?

I like a variation of colours when they go well together but :nonono:.

I like it a bunch . Nice work. I think they look kinda cool.

I figured I'd get mixed reviews.
For those who want to copy (I'm sure there'll be many).
I brushed POR-15 rust preventative coating in silver over everything, then did the base color for the main engine with brushed POR-15 ford red. It brushes on ridiculously thick, but man does it get glossy. Everything else was sprayed with Dupli-color 'torquin teal', 'ford dark blue', 'aluminum' and 'old ford blue' VHT. I had a can of shiny gold rustoleum I finished off on some parts too for accent.

Funny I was asking myself the same! Not an expert but shouldn't the water injected on the exhaust descending side?

L

Looks fine to me - mine enters about same place on my Lehman 120. it's going to be blasted out wherever it enters anyway.

Looks great.
I am debating to spray or brush. I like the brush idea as you can do a little bit at a time, when you’re in the mood.

I like it. Creativity in the ER.

Looks very nice on your engines, mine will not be that colorful.

Hi,

A cool idea:) but white / yellow engines are the best colors to see the starting problem, glygol, raw water, oil or other leakage, and so on.

NBs

I'm blinded!

. Would you buy a boat with engines like this?

If the rest of the boat was OK, the engines were OK and the price was adjusted down accordingly , yes.

Looks a bit odd but somewhat dazzling too. I kinda like the colors and kinda don't. Two tone may have been better.
One could say the only real possible downside is at resale as the thread strongly implies. But your attention to the engine compartment would incline most would automatically assume you spent as much time on maintenance. That should overpower the dazzling colors if they were perceived as a negative.

Having said that I really like Por-15 products and have great respect for your attn. to detail that this involves. I would have used more of the really classy blue that's on the valve covers and painted something else on the left side of the engines a contrasting color too.

Another downside is that when you refinish something like you have and have great contrast with things very close or even nearby it draws attention to the parts that don't have a dazzling finish .. in your case the gearbox ect. But I must admit I didn't notice the gearbox at first. It's like having the best looking girl in the class picture in a white and yellow dazzling dress next to a homely girl w a grey and brown unkempt looking wrinkled coveralls.

But over-all your re-finish is a plus or better.

And yes I'd buy her.

Just paint them a year before you sell. Don't paint them just before you sell or people will be wondering why.

Love the different responses.
I wish there was more stuff on the port side of the engine that was colorful. If I had had to pull the starter... Everything that's not red was removed and serviced, valve cover means new seal and valve clearances, heat exchangers repaired and pressure tested, new oil coolers, new freshwater pump, rebuilt harmonic balancer, new thermostat under header tank, new seals on raw water pump, new air filter element, new oil lines and all new hoses. Unfortunately there was very little on the port side of the engine that needed to be serviced otherwise we would have more colors there. There was certainly some deferred maintenance from the po.
That dang gearbox, I should paint that sometime... Maybe bright yellow? Or stick to blues and reds?

I figured I'd get mixed reviews.
For those who want to copy (I'm sure there'll be many).
I brushed POR-15 rust preventative coating in silver over everything, then did the base color for the main engine with brushed POR-15 ford red. It brushes on ridiculously thick, but man does it get glossy. Everything else was sprayed with Dupli-color 'torquin teal', 'ford dark blue', 'aluminum' and 'old ford blue' VHT. I had a can of shiny gold rustoleum I finished off on some parts too for accent.

I have the seen POR-15 but never used it, is this your first time using it? was wondering how it lasts compared to other brands.

What did you use/do to clean and prep before painting?

I used the whole POR15 system, including their degreaser. It took about a week to clean, the rest of the painting and servicing all the parts took another week (nights and weekends). The trick to cleaning is to buy a huge variety of brushes, mostly super stiff wire brushes, if you're going to paint. Some for the drill, some handheld, even some tiny ones for the dremel. That job sucks.

It took less than a pint of POR15 rust coating to do both engines, all components (probably 12 ounces). It took a pint each of their engine enamel per engine, and that was cutting it close (and none of the parts that aren't red were painted with that). It took a quart of their degreaser and a quart of their metal prep to do both. It takes about 2 hours to put a coat on an engine brushing it, so you have to start the first coat of engine enamel directly after you finish the rust coating. I only did one super thick coat, then thinned the remainder of the paint with xylene for a second coat which I only put on where necessary.
The POR15 takes much longer to harden up than standard spray enamel, so you have to be careful when re assembling.

I have the seen POR-15 but never used it, is this your first time using it? was wondering how it lasts compared to other brands.

This is my first time using it too. I had to sand some of it off of a few areas I didn't mask well. For rough steel or iron parts, especially if they're rusty, that **** doesn't come off and gets rock hard. I was impressed!

The engine enamel is amazingly glossy, looks good on cast parts but you can see a lot of brushing texture on stamped or machined parts. It would be tough to brush on the valve cover and have it look good. I did use the rust preventative coating as a primer on the valve cover, then sprayed with duplicolor enamel, that seemed to do very well. The cover was chrome, with a lot of rust spots. You have to rough up the chrome pretty good because the POR-15 wants to peel off of it, same with any very smooth part, especially aluminum.

This is my first time using it too. I had to sand some of it off of a few areas I didn't mask well. For rough steel or iron parts, especially if they're rusty, that **** doesn't come off and gets rock hard. I was impressed!

The engine enamel is amazingly glossy, looks good on cast parts but you can see a lot of brushing texture on stamped or machined parts. It would be tough to brush on the valve cover and have it look good. I did use the rust preventative coating as a primer on the valve cover, then sprayed with duplicolor enamel, that seemed to do very well. The cover was chrome, with a lot of rust spots. You have to rough up the chrome pretty good because the POR-15 wants to peel off of it, same with any very smooth part, especially aluminum.

Looks like great results

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom