Westerbeke 3 cylinder generator repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is wrong with the pump?

I’m thinking it’s leaking by the bottom seals.

I can turn on the fuel pump with plate off and maybe see if that’s what it’s doing.

I can turn on the fuel pump with plate off and maybe see if that’s what it’s doing.

Just trying to figure out a way to pressurize it to see where the diesel is coming out from.

There are no seals between the fuel side and the lube oil side. Just a precision metal to metal fit of the plungers and barrels.

Just put fuel under pressure to the inlet and see if it shows up on the lube oil/cam roller side. Normal fuel pressure is about 5psi, no more pressure needed to test.

That’s good to know. I’ll go test it again and try to see where its coming from. Just don’t want to change the oil again and end up full of diesel.

Just curious.... have you seen and signs of leakage from the pump, or is it just a guess that it's leaking and that it needs to be rebuilt?

Have you been able to correct the run/stop solenoid wiring so that is working correctly?

It’s not a guess that my oil is full of diesel and there’s nothing wrong with the wiring its just the minute the pump started trying to work if filled my oil with diesel. If your not going to try to help you can go find another post to spend your negativity on.

It’s not a guess that my oil is full of diesel and there’s nothing wrong with the wiring its just the minute the pump started trying to work if filled my oil with diesel. If your not going to try to help you can go find another post to spend your negativity on.

Ok, your welcome for the help. Good luck.

Is there any place else on that motor that can leak diesel into the oil?

Chill.

Not that I know of. I’m positive it’s coming from the pump. You said, bleed off or valve. But why would they bleed off into the oil? Still can’t believe that they don’t use the synoid to shut down then to run. That way it has to be energized the whole time it runs.

I had the same manual that you have but the one from Jay is way more thorough.

Do you have the same generator? Do you want this manual? I could forward it to you.

Is there any place else on that motor that can leak diesel into the oil?
I guess you could have a bad injector that just pours into the cyl and gets forced passed the rings. But this engine was just rebuilt???

No diesel is coming from the pump. I took the plate off and turned the fuel pump on and the injection pump body is leaking.

Wish there was some place near here to rebuild the pump and a little cheaper than 550.

Every place is as near as your UPS Man. I have I guy locally that I would recommend but he is Davenport IA. His business centers around the truck, agriculture and construction market. I would trust him with my baby. Mid America Diesel Service 563-386-1088. But I doubt he'd be much cheaper. I would have confidence in the result though.

Still can’t get it started after letting it sit for a year. Tried about everything!!

Not a Westerbeke but I had a Kolher with a Yanmar 2gm that had not been run in few years. I tried to bleed the injector lines and no fuel came out. Thought I would get the injection pump rebuilt, so I called Mack Boring in NJ for a quote.

I forgot the price but was going to have it done but then I could not get the pump to lift out of the engine. So I called back for advice and they said the fuel rack was stuck in the wrong position and told me how to release it. I pulled the pump and decided to soak it in diesel and got the fuel rack moving freely. I put it back in the engine--cranked it over and there was fuel to the injectors.

Its been running great ever since then.. Maybe yours is the same from sitting idle --just a thought.

Yes. Maybe I’ll pull it back out today and exercise the demons out of the pump and try it again one more time. Holds like 6 quarts of oil. First I’ll try to see if its leaking first before I waste more oil.

No definitely leaking out of the injection pump body.

Were delivery valve holders ever loosened and are they tight now? They hold the barrels down and if loose it will leak.

Is rack free to move? Should move at least 1/2" back and forth.

When I took it apart they were loose. I thought they were supposed to be loose.

It was leaking from the bottom. I’m sure of that. Tighten them down and try again?

I took the insides out and cleaned them out.

Yep, try again after tightening.

Why were they loosened? Should not be unless doing work inside the pump.

If loose I would think it would leak out the top not the bottom?

I found o rings that matched and changed them. Never leaked out of the top.

Back
Top Bottom