Headhunter vs .... (Another Head Selection Post)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sleaper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
MV Takapu 2
Vessel Make
ex HMNZS Patrol Craft 94'
Hello everyone.

I have pulled them all apart and formed extremely intimate relationships with all the macerator pumps.

Now, given that I cannot educate - I simple want to build a system that can handle "landfolk" and their array of wetwipes, tampons and tissues into my heads.

I have nailed it down to Headhunter toilet which is what Mr Nordhavn and the Military install apparently.

My waste suction pumps to pump out are dual pumps - 3 phase, industrial metal impeller units that could shred a mattress, so no issues getting stuff out of the tank - Everything that leaves the toilets goes through these additional macerators on the way out.

I see through searching that Head Mistress had talked about the Raritan as being an option - and perhaps was not a great fan of the headhunter, but I'm trying to figure out what.

I see the Tecma top of the line unit in a few superyachts around the marina... should I consider one? -

Would love to discuss.

price is a non issue. I want to reclaim my mornings - haha.

Now, given that I cannot educate - I simple want to build a system that can handle "landfolk" and their array of wetwipes, tampons and tissues into my heads.

You could mandate all those items be check at the ganplank before boarding...

-Chris

I've only used two myself; Tecma and Vacuflush.

I would pick Tecma any day of the week. I really like that they mascerate right at the toilet so you only get a slurry in the pipes and the holding tank. But that may run counter to your goal since it sounds like you want to process animals and small children, and the Tecma would probably choke on them. It has handled anything we have crapped out, not any foreign objects, tampons, and aforesaid animals and small children.

But with a head that lets larger objects past, you now have risk of them getting stuck in the plumbing or elsewhere along the way to the holding tank. If something is goign to get stuck, I think I'd prefer to have it stuck at the head rather than further down the line.

Oh, and for what it's worth, most if not all current Nordhavns are built with Tecma. But I have a friend who likes Headhunter and is building with them again, so it's not universal.

I've only used two myself; Tecma and Vacuflush.

I would pick Tecma any day of the week. I really like that they mascerate right at the toilet so you only get a slurry in the pipes and the holding tank. But that may run counter to your goal since it sounds like you want to process animals and small children, and the Tecma would probably choke on them. It has handled anything we have crapped out, not any foreign objects, tampons, and aforesaid animals and small children.

But with a head that lets larger objects past, you now have risk of them getting stuck in the plumbing or elsewhere along the way to the holding tank. If something is goign to get stuck, I think I'd prefer to have it stuck at the head rather than further down the line.

Oh, and for what it's worth, most if not all current Nordhavns are built with Tecma. But I have a friend who likes Headhunter and is building with them again, so it's not universal.

TwistedTree, thank you for your comments.

Ok, Tecma and Headhunter - seem to be the two shortlisted.

Speaking to the Tecma agent this morning, someone here has just ordered 10 for their new boat.

I agree that I would rather a macerator unblock than a pipe - tank blockage.

Have you had to pull yours apart yet?

I really like that they mascerate right at the toilet so you only get a slurry in the pipes and the holding tank.

Just to clarify here, but Vacuflush also macreates at the toilet via the vacuum and venturi. There is no downstream maceration. During our almost 7 years living aboard, including a very-heavy-on-the-TP crew member, another capable of producing massive payloads, and many guests, we never had clogging issues. You do have to run water through them, which requires guest instructing.

Just to clarify here, but Vacuflush also macreates at the toilet via the vacuum and venturi. There is no downstream maceration. During our almost 7 years living aboard, including a very-heavy-on-the-TP crew member, another capable of producing massive payloads, and many guests, we never had clogging issues. You do have to run water through them, which requires guest instructing.

This is the headhunter right?

Wondering if I could rig a busbar with water timer and delay for toilet switch - making it a one button idiot proof solution.

I read the details that the headhunter replaces the macerator with a high pressure jet instead.

I think I am leaning towards the Tecma given that its a direct replacement and the electrics, piping and water supply is already in place. They seem to be Head Mistress's preferred option too.

Last edited:
TwistedTree, thank you for your comments.

Ok, Tecma and Headhunter - seem to be the two shortlisted.

Speaking to the Tecma agent this morning, someone here has just ordered 10 for their new boat.

I agree that I would rather a macerator unblock than a pipe - tank blockage.

Have you had to pull yours apart yet?

No, ours have been trouble free. But nobody has tested them with a tampon or other uninvited object either. Everyone I know who has them, likes them.

My limited understanding of Headhunter is that that they relay on high water pressure with a lot of flow to do their job. That's not a problem in and of itself, but you would want to know in advance and plan for it in the installation. I believe the required water lines, for example, are 1".

No, ours have been trouble free. But nobody has tested them with a tampon or other uninvited object either. Everyone I know who has them, likes them.

My limited understanding of Headhunter is that that they relay on high water pressure with a lot of flow to do their job. That's not a problem in and of itself, but you would want to know in advance and plan for it in the installation. I believe the required water lines, for example, are 1".

Thanks Twisted Tree.

My neighbor in the berth next door is an N60 also. Brilliant vessel.

Yo - sleaper Welcome. Photos of your 94'er?? Love to see her!

Colin and Julie?

A small world indeed :)

I always suspected you Nordhavn owners were in a secret club ;)

Spent the morning reading through your blog - plenty more to go. Thanks for such valuable insights.

My goal is an N86 / 120 .. within the next 10 years, if life allows.

Never owned a Tecma, but after chartering 3 boats with them, I've been sworn by the admiral to installing them on our next boat. Exactly because they're user friendly, and she knows her friends.

Never owned a Tecma, but after chartering 3 boats with them, I've been sworn by the admiral to installing them on our next boat. Exactly because they're user friendly, and she knows her friends.

Thanks for your comments, very helpful.

Another vote for Tecma...i have them in both heads & have never had a problem. Carry a spare solenoid though....that is the component most likely to give out, the local service agent tells me.

"Ok, Tecma and Headhunter - seem to be the two shortlisted."

Obendorfer also makes waste pumps , frequently found in a dockside pump out .

All waste pumps gave a hard life and may need servicnig.

Using an AC pump seems to work better ,as does having the pump fed the waste (below the tank) rather than lift the waste.

Pumps push better than suck .

Since the unit may need love from time to time , mounting it with RV style waste valves , or true union valves mean the removal will need a pail below and under 30 seconds to remove .

Using a larger feed pipe like 2 or 3 inch to the pump , and then std boat sized hose will make the obstructions easy to find /less messy to clear..

A posted instruction in the head , explaining the wrong items in the head may stop the cruise for repairs , and a simple covered collection box for unflushable items is a help.

Many lubbers don't know if they didn't eat it the head can't either (TP excepted).

Another vote for Techma. I have two in my Motorhome, 2007 vintage. Their reputation amongst the RV crowd is super. I am told the macerator will digest everything, including those feminine items forbidden elsewhere.
One issue though; one of mine is located above the black tank, no issues. The other is 15 to 20 ft of pipe away from the tank, so is programmed to push enough water through on a flush to fill all of that pipe, which will fill your holding tank 4 times faster than the one close to the tank. Whether they will still be trouble free if re-programmed to use minimal water, I can't tell you.

+1 for Tecma here also. I had it on my previous boat for many years with zero problems and zero maintenance. My Vacuflush now flushes just as well but noisy and it requires maintenance. The one advantage of the Vacuflush is that it uses a little less water than the Tecma.

Another vote for Techma. I have two in my Motorhome, 2007 vintage. Their reputation amongst the RV crowd is super. I am told the macerator will digest everything, including those feminine items forbidden elsewhere.
One issue though; one of mine is located above the black tank, no issues. The other is 15 to 20 ft of pipe away from the tank, so is programmed to push enough water through on a flush to fill all of that pipe, which will fill your holding tank 4 times faster than the one close to the tank. Whether they will still be trouble free if re-programmed to use minimal water, I can't tell you.

I can tell you what happens if you program a 10 foot run for minimum water:banghead:. I just spent yesterday morning clearing our aft head hose. About a week ago I reduced the timer. It took about a week but she jammed up. I cleared it by blowing to the tank with a wet vac.
Cracks me up how timely these topics are. I put the timer back where it was.

Thanks for the input, I settle on the Tecma Silent Pro 2G units.

I have installed the first unit and so far so good :)

I had two headhunter heads that worked very well on flushing but used a little more water than desired with small holding tanks. Set up was several 8 gallon accumulators charged to in the 50 to 40 psi range. Lines to each of the heads were 1 inch diameter from the accumulators to minimize pressure drop. The solenoid valve was set for about 1.5 to two seconds open time. Most times only one cycle was require to empty the liquid a semi solid waste stuff. No moving parts in the toilet. The solenoid valve was external and easy to change if required. Good choice if you have reasonable sized holding tanks and were difficult to clog. I switched to domestic masterflush as the used less water. No different than using a home toilet.

Back
Top Bottom