Holding tank treatments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbtapper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lady Maria
Vessel Make
1987 CT 35 Sundeck
In the process of updating the sanitation system on my boat. Prior owner did not do much of anything right and I’ve ended up with a mish mash of hose, Home Depot fittings and half the connections wo any clamps.
Just about done with getting all functional and reasonably ship shape.
Was wondering what folks are using for a treatment to help the system and holding tank reduce odor?

I use Rid-X RV/Marine available on Amazon.

Best I have used is Noflex. Do a search on this forum to find out more.

Get Peggie Hall's book, "Getting Rid of Boat Odors." It's on Amazon, I think. It will really help you with anything regarding your head, odors, chemicals, etc.
It's a great resource. I have no connection financially, it just really helped me when I had to work on the head in my boat.
Oldersalt

Step 1: Go on Amazon and buy the book “How to get rid of boat odors” by Peggie Hall. (Also pick up the Kindle edition while you are at it)

Step 2: Read it.

Step 3: Start to give advice based on what you read (pretty much what most of us do anyway).

If you have done a good job of redoing your system and have good ventilation of your holding tank (doubtful) then Raritan K.O. Is really good. If your ventilation isn’t quite as good, I have used Odorlos with good results.

No I am using a product called Noflex Digestor. I ordered it from Fisheries Supply last time. I think it does a great job on my holding tank which isn’t vented and it seems to do a good job of breaking down the sludge that likely is lining your holding tank. Turns out it was developed by a TF member out of Canada if I recall. So as of now, it is my favorite flavor.

I used KO for maybe about 20 years... but then have more recently (a couple years ago) switched to Noflex. I don't notice any real difference in capability, but the Noflex is easier to meter out over the life of a given tankful of contents.

-Chris

Forget about it! No, really. We use Forget About It. Not so much for odors as we don’t have much, but it loosened up years of sludge at the bottom of ourhilding tank and effectively gave us more capacity.

Get Peggy's (Headmistress) book! And while you at it get Calder's maintenance and elec book also:thumb::thumb: Then you will be fully informed:thumb:

I have a vacuflush system. I have never needed to add anything in 20 years.

Ditto here for almost 7 years of heavy use. But Vacuflush are usually freshwater heads, and that's the big difference. If you get smell with them, it's due to poor tank venting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom