Old 04-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #15
Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
I was bringing the anchor in last time we were out - not thinking of anything in particular until the anchor chain brought the tip of the anchor shank to the bow roller. At this point the chain is pulling at right angles to the shank and has to pull the anchor (25kg) through 90 degrees (from vertical to horizontal) to get it on board. The winch manages it but it dawned on me what a horrendous strain it must put on the motor and gearbox. Initially the leverage the winch has to work with is virtually nil but it is expected to lift it.

The only thing I could think of was a second roller, forward and down from the existing bow roller which might reduce the angle of direction change from 90degrees to perhaps 45degrees

Am I overthinking this or should I just leave the winch to get on with winching?
Brisyboy, as the others have said, it is probably not a huge issue, but one I also felt worth addressing when I bought my Sarca. Although I did not buy the purpose built Sarca roller assembly, the hinged set I did buy is very like it, (only actually a bit better I think, as the hinged part is longer), and the hinged section, that revolves up under the anchor as she comes over, definitely does reduce that load. Probably does lengthen the life of the windlass motor & gears somewhat I'd think. These are available at most chandleries, I think. Also, you might be able to see I was lucky enough to be able to fit it inside the old existing single bronze roller system, now painted white. One mounting bolt slipped neatly into where the bronze roller was mounted. I pull her in so the shank is horizontal when on the move, of course. See pics of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0069.JPG   IMG_0176.jpg