Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for your comment mate.

The only wires in that wall are the 240v wiring running through a pvc pipe to allow replacement.

My auto and marine electrician is drawing up a wiring plan ;-)

The level isn’t being used to check for level mate. It is only being used to ensure that it is running parallel with the floor

Good observation tho mate ;-)

The area on the bottom right where the diesel fuel filler and tank vent lines are will also house the sink drain hose and will be behind a steel door concealed by the fridge.

IMG_0668.jpg

OD gives sage advice!

Seems that:

Matt absorbs all advice.

Good advise sticks.

Bad advise goes into the round file.

Great advice has Matt standing on his hands and then continuing to build, on and on and on...!! Go Matt - GO!

OD you did mention the magic word for me “Nordhavn” ... Pleeeease do tell and I’d love to see pics. Nordys are my dream boat.

OD you did mention the magic word for me “Nordhavn” ... Pleeeease do tell and I’d love to see pics. Nordys are my dream boat.

In reality - - > SOLSTICE is your real dream! Dream on mate - Dream ON! :thumb:

Hendo, all those pictures disappeared with the boat and computers. Nordhavn's are a great boat but old Nordhavn's are a challenge..... undocumented modifications and additions.
I did enjoy the pilot house. Some folks said it was very 'busy' but, one knew exactly what was happening .... analog instrumentation.... Loved it.

A Nordhavn is just another boat. Mine was a 46ft. Costs more to buy, cost more to keep up and fuel but I sure did look good at the helm.

It had a big old cathoray RADAR hanging from the overhead and a manual spot light.

Needed at least 2 folks to safely dock and undock. Granted I could have gotten underway by myself but, it might not be 'pretty.'

Do I miss it? Maybe just a little bit but, I do not miss the upkeep. I do miss, a lot, of money I spent updating it. If it hadn't fallen off the blocks and driven the port stabilizer into the stateroom, declared constructive loss, I'd no doubt still have it and still spending BIG bucks on it.

Last edited:
Fantastic day at the boat today. Yesterday Flic helped me load the helm I made into the back of the Ute then today the boys helped me lift it up and into position and boy oh boy was I happy. You couldn’t wipe the smile from my face. I am so happy with the colour of the leatherette. It’s really starting to take shape. I am lucky that I have an understanding electrician with the mess I’ve made today pulling all the cables through.

IMG_0721.jpg
IMG_0722.jpg
IMG_0723.jpg
IMG_0724.jpg
IMG_0725.jpg
IMG_0726.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg
IMG_0730.jpg
IMG_0731.jpg

Wow! That looks great, with that install I would safely say this is the beginning of the end! Congratulations, your getting closer than you think

I like the duel drink holders. Sometimes one is not enough

That's a fine looking helm!!! I agree, perfect color. It will go well with the turquoise curtains your wife is making for the boat. SMIRK
Boy howdy. I hope you labeled those wires at both ends. LOL
You do have a large supply of wire ties?
The helm is that close to the cabinets? You are going to be resting your butt on the cutting block? Watch those knives!!

Last edited:
That's a fine looking helm!!! I agree, perfect color. It will go well with the turquoise curtains your wife is making for the boat. SMIRK
Boy howdy. I hope you labeled those wires at both ends. LOL
You do have a large supply of wire ties?
The helm is that close to the cabinets? You are going to be resting your butt on the cutting block? Watch those knives!!

Yeah that plan was always to steal 300mm from the benchtop for a dual width helm seat. Yep wires marked I’m going to do some testing of them tomorrow

You can almost taste the "done" in your mouth. SMILE
Dont be in a hurry.

That helm is better than best! It's Super Duper Best!! Congrats on forward movement that makes you smile so much that Flic and SOLSTICE are having great big S-Eaten Grins on their faces too... Carry on toward SPLASH, mate!!

I need to get ready to buy my ticket for the launch

The helm along with everything else looks Great! Can't wait to see the final product!

Did you remember to mark the last remaining original rib, for historical (or hysterical) purposes ???

Also, sign your name in some hidden place. If nothing else, maybe 2 owners down the line will know who to blame for something that went wrong. LOL

Totally rebuilt by (insert name here) and the years it took you to rebuild it.

Think of the biblical parallel .... God took a rib from Adam and made Eve. You took a rib from (insert name here) and made (insert name here) Chuckle.

Last edited:
I love the two handrails on each side of the helm! And the color is perfect; that leatherette is so easy to clean, too.

I love the two handrails on each side of the helm! And the color is perfect; that leatherette is so easy to clean, too.

Hmmm, maybe curtains with horses or maybe multi color poke a dots, clowns?

Nothing really visually exciting this afternoon for you to see but I made progress with the wiring. I arranged them into sections, trimmed them and named them then tested the 12v lighting circuits. All working well [emoji1303]. After that was done I did the material measurements for the leatherette ??

IMG_0753.jpg
IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_0750.jpg
IMG_0759.jpg
IMG_0758.jpg
IMG_0756.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg

Nothing really visually exciting this afternoon for you to see but I made progress with the wiring. I arranged them into sections, trimmed them and named them then tested the 12v lighting circuits. All working well [emoji1303]. After that was done I did the material measurements for the leatherette ??

View attachment 75270
View attachment 75271
View attachment 75272
View attachment 75273
View attachment 75274
View attachment 75275
View attachment 75276

You are birthing a baby and, it's a boat!!!

That helm is better than best! It's Super Duper Best!! Congrats on forward movement that makes you smile so much that Flic and SOLSTICE are having great big S-Eaten Grins on their faces too... Carry on toward SPLASH, mate!!

Thanks Bro

Did you remember to mark the last remaining original rib, for historical (or hysterical) purposes ???

Also, sign your name in some hidden place. If nothing else, maybe 2 owners down the line will know who to blame for something that went wrong. LOL

Totally rebuilt by (insert name here) and the years it took you to rebuild it.

Think of the biblical parallel .... God took a rib from Adam and made Eve. You took a rib from (insert name here) and made (insert name here) Chuckle.

I did actually mate. I wrote The name and date of the last external panel I fitted. I can’t remember when but I’ll search through the pics on my PC to find it for you.

Some people use drugs to get all "wired" up. :eek:

But certainly not mate Matt... He gets all wired up by getting his baby boat all wired up! LOL :thumb:

Talk bout different strokes fer different folks!! :D

Thanks buddy. I wasn’t sure about the colour. I thought I had made a terrible mistake but in the boat it looks so much different than it did at home. I’m am so happy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom