Spade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
To me a Spade is a bit like a Rocna without a roll bar and a ballasted tip instead. So if you do'nt like roll bars and support ballast on an anchor perhaps a Spade could be in your future. I've said before the Spade could be the closest thing to an ideal anchor there is but maximum holding power won't be achieved since the weight of the ballast could be used for a larger fluke. Of course this could be said of all other ballasted anchors as well. Additionally every anchor designer knows the sacrifice of a ballasted anchor and feels the loss of fluke area and that last bit of holding power is a good balance. Once an anchor is set ballast is basically of no use and the same can be said for the roll bars too but I think the roll bars play a significant role in resistance that translates to more holding power. But then the resistance also inhibits penetration and that decreases holding power. In any case the Spade has an excellent reputation for setting and holding power. It's made in Tunisia and designed by Alain Poiraud ..a frenchman. One tester said it's tip lacked some tip sharpness and is not excellent on hard bottoms despite it's ballast. If the bottom is'nt too hard all testers I've read say it sets really fast and digs deep. I do'nt know where to buy the Spade in the states.

My Spade has been my primary anchor for a few years now. Works well in mud, although it takes a bit more time to set than my Fortress. It's on all-chain rode.

Keith,

Bravo! *Now we have a source to this high tech and high end anchor. I figured somebody must have one. Wish you had experience in a wider range of bottom types. As I look at the pics of the Spade I may need to eat my words in that I said the Bruce is the best looking anchor but the Spade is better looking than than the Bruce to be sure and there's one other anchor that's very expensive that is even better looking than the Spade but I can't remember it's name. Something like "Shark" and is kind of a cross between the Delta and the Spade. Thank's very much for the links Keith. Another thing I forgot to mention about the Spade is that the shank is a very classy peice of engineering and fabrication. It's very sharp as it's fabricated from sheet metal and thus hollow in the center. It has a pronounced "V" shape and should be very light and strong compared to other anchors. The extremely small and short shank of the XYZ is the only shank that should out perform the Spade shank. I've heard the tip of the Spade is'nt very sharp but in the pics on Keiths links it looks quite sharp to me. What do you think/know about that Keith? The ballast cavity is a bit bulky as I recall but the tip looks fairly sharp. Definitely a Jaguar of anchors I'd say.

Keith,

Thank you so much for posting our contact information for Spade Anchors here in the USA. We have seen a great increase of traffic since you posted our contact information. We are the manufacturer and US distributor located in Florida.

I did want to let everyone on the forum know that Spade anchors work great on trawlers as well as they do on sailboats. The Spade anchor's shank is a welded three piece construction for added strength and durability. The tip of the anchor has a chisel shape and is ballasted with lead, so that 50% of the total weight of the anchor is in the tip of the anchor. That gives the Spade an advantage over all the other anchors on the market. This means that the Spade anchor will contact the bottom tip first and dig in instantly. The anchor will set within 2 times its own length.

There are many pictures of anchors on our website, as well as, testimonials from very happy Spade Anchor users. We have other dealers across the USA, with more to come.

I am more than happy to discuss any trawlers anchor needs at any time. Please contact me by using the contact number ffrom the post above. We are in Florida and we will be at Strictly Sail in Miami, in February if anyone is interested.
Smooth seas...
Evan

-- Edited by Spadeanchor USA on Friday 11th of November 2011 02:56:43 PM

The tip is pointy but not really sharp. At least not like my Fortress, where I actually filed the tips to really sharp. Seems to work well though.

Keith,

That's a plus * ......anchors that work. * In one of the anchor tests the person filming the anchors in action went right out and bought one after the test. He was that impressed with what he saw on the sea floor. It seems after only a short drag all you could see to tell there was an anchor there was the chain going into the bottom. I do'nt think it was an unusual bottom either. The Spade performance is very high in all the tests I've seen but like the Rocna it's stellar performance falls off (or flat(I'm not sure which)) on short scope. But in defense of both most folks anchor w enough scope so as not to make that an issue.

Hi Keith,
I am a new Krogen 42 owner as of May. A new spade anchor is on my wish list. What size and composition spade do you use? I was thinking of buying the aluminum version to get the the largest surface area for the weight. Thanks for the reply. Glenn

*I have a 66# steel S-140. The weight is important, so I would recommend the steel over the aluminum unless your windlass just can't handle the weight of the anchor and chain.

Glenn,

We would recommend that you use a Steel 100 anchor which weighs 44#.* We always recommend steel anchor as the primary anchor.* Steel is stronger than aluminum and the weight of the anchor is not what gives the Spade anchor its holding power.* Its the surface area of the blade that gives the Spade anchor its holding power.* You could always go one size larger if you wanted to.* The S120 Spade anchor weighs 55#.

Feel free to contact me directly for more information.* We will be at Miami Strictly Sail in February.* Come by and see us.

Evan

The 100 is way too small for a Krogen 42. I originally ordered a 120 and immediately returned it for the 140. You could probably get by on the 120, but I'd still recommend the 140.

Thanks for the input everyone.* I was actually thinking of purchasing the A200.* It is only about 10% lighter than the S140 ( almost the same as the S120) but has about 50% more surface area, as this seems to be important as well.** Great discussion.* Thanks.

I checked out the spade as my manson supreme does not fit the pulpit on my new boat dam those things are costly

nomadwilly wrote:
Keith,

That's a plus * ......anchors that work.....* The Spade performance is very high in all the tests I've seen but like the Rocna it's stellar performance falls off (or flat(I'm not sure which)) on short scope. But in defense of both most folks anchor w enough scope so as not to make that an issue.
Eric, if you could see me I'd merely say, "watch my lips"....no anchor will or can work reliably and well on a short scope.* It's just a concept that defies all the laws of the relevant physics.* If you think it possible, then my dear friend, (and I hope I can call you that - an internet one at least), you are deluding yourself.* Ok if the anchor is huge or one that, like the spade, digs deep, you will be fine in light weather, but so is any anchor - the weight of the chain is enough, but if the wind gets up - please....forget short scope...

-- Edited by Peter B on Monday 26th of December 2011 05:29:03 AM

Back
Top Bottom