Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bruce, I thought you would surely comment on the Crowded House number.

Here's one from one of the great groups, the Temptations. They had a flurry of hits.

Bruce, I thought you would surely comment on the Crowded House number.
I appreciate them,they are still around,but not quite my style of music. In my high school days I would make my way into the city to listen to jazz at the long closed El Rocco jazz cellar,music and tastes evolve but jazz is always in my life.
Here is someone interesting,born in USA, raised in Germany,Craig Calhoun performs with his band "The Brothers of OZ, mostly in Sydney.I saw him at a Manly Jazz Festival, powerful music in full flight. Difficult to source his material on youtube but I found this,performed at the recently closed Sydney jazz venue "The Basement",which may yet reopen.

I don't think we've had this one from Toto.

One of my favorite numbers from Foreigner.

OK folks, just to date myself, here's one from my high school days. Who remembers sock hops in the gym, and doing the "Stroll". Oh yeah, baby. Here's Bill Doggett and Honky Tonk. Hot stuff back in the day.

An updated version by the Jim Smith Quartet with better sound. Yeah, that big Hammond B3 organ in the background does it for me. There is nothing like the sound of the old B3.

For those of you not familiar with the Stroll, here's a video clip. A slow beat was perfect for it.

Last edited:
Here's a little classic jazz especially for Bruce. I hope you like it.

One more tonight, and I promise this is the last. Wham and Careless Whisper

Wow Don,Jimmy Smith,Jimmy McGriff,and George Michael, back in his Wham! days.
You covered some territory there, thanks.

This is a total change of pace. A classic road song I lifted off the Airstream forum. It has a nice western swing with some good harmony. I like it.

Don, a quick search found the Nelson Riddle original version of Route 66. The sound quality is very good; the picture not so good.

Bruce, Nelson Riddle composed that orchestration as the theme music of the TV show Route 66. It ran in the early 1960s and featured two guys driving the iconic highway in a 1960 Corvette, and the adventures that happened along the way. The show captured the wanderlust spirit of many Americans, and was very successful.

Route 66 runs for about 2000 miles from Chicago to Los Angeles. It had many cheesy tourist attractions along the way. It was abandoned by the Federal Highway System, but many states have seen the value of keeping the spirit of Route 66 alive.

Visualize two guys driving through the countryside with the wind blowing through their hair. Then play the theme music.

I found a clip of one of the Route 66 shows. The theme plays at the beginning, and at the end. Be warned this is a full length show. It was typical in that the boys step into trouble. Then everything works out OK.

Slowing it down here's a really great song.

and another great song.

Very nice . I just stepped outside the hardwood flooring plant from a screaming 36” planner and saw this and had to listen . Thanks Don this added the peaceful touch my afternoon needed .

Last edited:
I've always admired Shawn Colvin's song writing, singing & picking. Discovered the Three girls and their Buddy" footage several years ago. Wish I could find the actual DVD. Their live rendition of "Polaroids" is the best I've heard...but it's been pulled down from YouTube.

Bruce, Nelson Riddle composed that orchestration as the theme music of the TV show Route 66. It ran in the early 1960s and featured two guys driving the iconic highway in a 1960 Corvette, and the adventures that happened along the way. The show captured the wanderlust spirit of many Americans, and was very successful....
Visualize two guys driving through the countryside with the wind blowing through their hair. Then play the theme music.
From memory the words for the Route 66 theme came well after the music, which surely screams "road trip". The original still sounds fresh (to these ears anyway) despite the years. The sound clarity on the version I found was startlingly good,perhaps someone had access to the master copy.
Nelson Riddle did great work with Frank Sinatra.I should start searching something out.It was a golden era of American big band music,there are few things in music to beat the power of a big band in full flight.

Eric, a great contribution. Thanks. As soon as I saw the lady holding that big guitar I knew it was none other than Emmy Lou Harris. She is definitely on my favorites list. It was a great group of song writers and singers together. I like your taste in music.

Bruce, Route 66 was composed by Bobby Troup, and released in 1946. Nelson Riddle had adapted it to his orchestration. I cheated here, and did a google search. One thing I didn't know about Bobby Troup is that he was married to Julie London (hubba hubba).

Eric, a great contribution. Thanks. As soon as I saw the lady holding that big guitar I knew it was none other than Emmy Lou Harris. She is definitely on my favorites list. It was a great group of song writers and singers together. I like your taste in music.

Thank you Don. I was glad to see someone post some Eva Cassidy earlier...what a beautiful voice!
I've been slowly learning to play guitar and now jokingly refer to myself as a recovering drummer.:lol: If I ever get good enough I'll have to buy a composite guitar to take into the shower.:D

Here's an unexpected but well done remake/arrangement of a Cure song.

Bruce, Route 66 was composed by Bobby Troup, and released in 1946. Nelson Riddle had adapted it to his orchestration. I cheated here, and did a google search. One thing I didn't know about Bobby Troup is that he was married to Julie London (hubba hubba).
Julie London,what a great singer. So, Route 66,composed 1946,adopted in the 1960s as a theme for the eponymous TV series. What was it doing for 20 years, why did it sound so fresh 20 years later? And even now? My first thought was the composition date had to be wrong,but it`s not,Troup was born in 1918.
My meanderings discovered this version of Route 66, played and sung, by Bobby Troup.
The guitarist is good,any ideas who that might be? I found 2 guitarists associated with Troup but there must be plenty, Howard Roberts and Dennis Budimir. Maybe someone recognizes him in the clip, I thought it sounded like George van Eps.
And I see Troup worked as an actor too. An interesting life to explore,someone quite important in US music.
Found some pics of Howard Roberts, I think he plays guitar on the clip.

Last edited:
I'm not sure who the guitarist was, but can tell that he was obviously use to playing with Bobby Troup. I could tell by the way he was keying off Troup's timing.

Troup was a truly multi faceted man. He graduated from the prestigious Wharton School of Business with honors and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. He was in a few movies and TV series as well as being a singer, musician and song writer.

Greetings,
Slightly off topic BUT it is done to music...Apologies to OP and by all means, remove if it doesn't fit...

Why would we remove it? I like it. An interesting novelty number.

On another note I heard this while driving in the rain north on I-75. Haven't thought of this artist in a long while. However, it's a classic road song. By the way dense fog Cover on the top of my mountain tonight.

Anyone familiar with Eumir Deodato?(Google certainly is not). I had some of his CDs,one got lost.This is his tribute song for Carol King and Carly Simon. Quite gentle, some of his other tracks are much harder driving upbeat funk.

Unsurprisingly,Deodato comes from Brazil. "Skyscrapers"is a little more upbeat and displays more talent.Though it displays that shirt again....looks like a group of songs were uploaded from one gig. He even played some Steely Dan, some Gershwin, all with a Brazilian influence.

I was a big fan of Deodata in the 70’s. His jazz version of Thus Spake Zarathustra (theme of 2001 A Space Odyssey) is the best version I have heard. But my fave back then was Pavane for a Dying Princess.

Here's Blue Grass group I ran across. Chris Jones has an amazingly clear voice. He reminds me of George Strait.

I was a big fan of Deodata in the 70’s. His jazz version of Thus Spake Zarathustra (theme of 2001 A Space Odyssey) is the best version I have heard. But my fave back then was Pavane for a Dying Princess.
I think Pavane is on the same CD.
If you like Brazilian music, search earlier on the thread for some Yutaka tracks. He is Japanese, living in CA,playing Brazilian music. His second CD is called Brazasia, the first one was only released in Japan.
I was listening to guitarist Laurindo Alemeida recently, recorded with the MJQ. Perhaps too dated for here, but not for me.

Here's one I thought would fit in here somewhere.

Now, that baseball season is upon on us, here's John Fogerty's famous baseball song.

Can't remember that we have had this one from Don Henley of Eagles fame.

Back
Top Bottom