To Swivel or not ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobnDoc

Veteran Member
I have a Cutwater 30cb. with a Rocha 15, heavy duty swivel, 50ft. of 5/16 chain plus 200ft line on an Electric Windlass. I’m thinking of keeping the boat’s original 22lb claw anchor as a spare. I already have 200ft of 5/16 double braid and 15ft 5/16 chain that will match the windlass. My question is should I also add a swivel to the spare? I’ve had conflicting advice, some saying the swivel becomes a weak link.

its not necessarily the weak link depending on the overall setup.

I find my inexpensive but strong swivel doesnt do much for chain twist, but it does sllow me to twist the anchor easily if it artives at the pulpit backwards.

I don't have one and don't feel they're necessary. Most of the bad press is about cheap ones failing. If you are going to have one, make sure it's top quality.

As to your second setup, how often do you plan to have to use it, that having a swivel will make a difference?

Ted

My feeling is that the 5/16 dbl braid line, moreso than the swivel, is the weak link on that spare setup. Tensile strength of 3100 lbs for 5/16th dbl braid vs 8800 for 9/16th nylon 3 strand (min recommended for 5/16th chain). Also, 9/16th or 5/8 rope will work in the chain gypsy better, the 5/16th rope would require a capstan head on the windlass or pulling by hand (hard on the hands with a thin line).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom