Westerbeke 3 cylinder generator repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I sure hope it starts when I just pull on the synoid. All the leakages work fine.

I have the same gen in my 89 GB you push the linkage to the solenoid to open it I had the same thing happen to mind last weekend, after I figured it out I cleaned the linkage and sprayed with wd40, working now (knock on wood)

Now that I messed with the injection pump it leaking diesel into the oil. Go figure. I tried starting it until I noticed the oil pressure not coming up. The stop switch makes the synoid come on. Most likely a start synoid switch. Wish I would have know that before messing with it. It might have started.

now that i messed with the injection pump it leaking diesel into the oil. Go figure. I tried starting it until i noticed the oil pressure not coming up. The stop switch makes the synoid come on. Most likely a start synoid switch. Wish i would have know that before messing with it. It might have started.

IMG_5593.JPGIMG_5594.JPGIMG_5596.JPG

Didn’t really do anything with the injection body but clean it. Just the top. Didn’t mess with the bottom. It has a red wire out of the back there is that supposed to be hooked to power?

So this is a generator that you just installed, replacing a different generator. Is that right? In other words, this has never run, and the installation may or may not be correct, including all the wiring.

I ask just so we know where we are starting from, namely ground zero.

And you said that the stop switch activated the solenoid? From what people who are familiar with this unit have told you, that's exactly the opposite of what is supposed to happen.

I don't mean any offense, but you seem to be really over your head with this, and somewhat randomly doing things. You are probably a lot better off getting someone on board who knows what they are doing, and making sure they know that they need to check the installation starting from step one. At a minimum, it sounds like your energize-to-run solenoid is wired as an energize-to-stop. With that, it will never start - kind of like you are experiencing.

Not. Just didn’t know it was back ass back wards from every other diesel.

its a genset function in this case...

but no natrer as some diesels stop when you energize a stop senoid, and some stop when you deenergize the stop solenoid.

just depends....

True. Bad design that when your injection pump goes out you fill your oil up. But it’s using the cam to run it and keeping it in time. Probably needed rebuilt anyway.

True. Bad design that when your injection pump goes out you fill your oil up. But it’s using the cam to run it and keeping it in time. Probably needed rebuilt anyway.

Really need a nice place to send the injection pump to get it rebuilt?

https://www.westerbeke.com/parts manual/32139_rev4_13-33_parts_list.pdf
https://www.westerbeke.com/service bulletin/sb_175.pdf
https://www.westerbeke.com/operator's manual/36746_8_10_11_12.5btd_oper_man.pdf
Try these manuals to get an idea about what you're doing. Also, that part is called a fuel solenoid. It is energized to run, de-energized to cut off fuel. You can test it by jumping 12 volts to the terminals and see if it moves and pulls the lever towards the rear of the engine. It needs to pull in all the way or it will burn out quicker.

https://www.westerbeke.com/parts manual/32139_rev4_13-33_parts_list.pdf
https://www.westerbeke.com/service bulletin/sb_175.pdf
https://www.westerbeke.com/operator's manual/36746_8_10_11_12.5btd_oper_man.pdf
Try these manuals to get an idea about what you're doing. Also, that part is called a fuel solenoid. It is energized to run, de-energized to cut off fuel. You can test it by jumping 12 volts to the terminals and see if it moves and pulls the lever towards the rear of the engine. It needs to pull in all the way or it will burn out quicker.

Yes we have done definitely decided that. How many times do we have to go over that?!!! Let’s go on. I need to get the injection pump rebuilt so not to leak the diesel into the oil. If you can read! Looking for a place to get another one are cheaper is to get this one rebuilt.

All those links say file not found. But I do have quite a few manuals on it but they are not doing me any good without a working injection pump.

If you are able to read your manuals you would not be finding yourself in this situation. Have fun with your project.

You think that the the pump would not have failed? Crazy!

Not crazy, just reading your post #63. You removed the pump for no reason because you didn't understand how this fuel system works, and said you messed with it. By the way, that pump is self bleeding when you finally get it going.

Last edited:
Once the pump was finally being used it failed.

Your not reading. Your skipping to try to make your point. There’s some on the forums that help and some that don’t help and need to be removed. Just try to figure out what kind you are? You can pick them out with every post you read.

It’s called negativity!

It’s called negativity!

If you have the manual then copy it and send it to me. That would maybe be helpful but thinking the injection pump failed and can’t find a place to send it too are I would. Really would like to have a running generator.

I have the service and parts book. I can email them to you.

What is wrong with the injection pump? I think I read that fuel was in the oil, but the IP is not the only way that can happen. And the IP can be pressurized with fuel on the bench to see if the plungers are leaking by.

I've worked on diesels for decades and have never seen a little Mitsubishi engine IP fail. Some got stuck, but that can be fixed on the bench.

Nice. I had it out but didn’t take it apart. Only the top. I have no way to pressurize it and could send it to you and pay you. Yes I would do anything to fix my generator and no one down here wants to come look at it. Easy area to work on it too.

Yes your manual might be different than the one I have. Mine has really nothing about the pump. Please do.

Any luck? The manuals I sent you don't have any details about the pump either. Good parts list though, along with basic operation and setup.

I have a service manual that might have what you need.
PM me your e mail address and I'll send it along.

Injection Pump, rebuilt, IP-MT3
Looks like yours. If you google Mitsubishi K3D diesel you should find some solution.

Yes that looks like it. Jim’s Manuel had what I needed to see but still think I can’t rebuild the pump. Quite pricey. They want my pump and 550 bucks. I would sure hope I could get it running after that. I only paid a thousand for the generator in the first place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom