washer/dryer installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henryj2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Curly Sez Wow
Vessel Make
Gulf Star
The vented washer/dryer combo on our 44' Gulf Star shot craps. Apparently the boat had been built around the washer as it took a sawsall to get it out. Width is the problem as machine must pass through a gangway that is narrow. The smallest replacements we can find on the market today are a Splendid at 33 1/8 H, 23 1/2 W, 22 5/8 D and Deco at 22 D 33.5 H, 23.6 W both of which are likely too large to install. Anyone aware of a smaller model or some other solution short of forgetting washing clothes aboard or dismantling the boat?
Jim H.

Jim I will follow closely as I will soon have this issue I have stacked unit that was built in the washer is shot. not a high priority but with in a few months

Maybe call Splendide and see if you can take the washer apart enough to make it fit through the opening.

Worth a try. Thanks.

How big is the rough opening for the forward hatch?

Ted

No problem getting machine inside cabin via mid-entry and into salon. But must then move through 20' wide companionway and into locker where space and hookups are available.

How about a couple of pictures?

Ted

Following:thumb: Admiral says washer/dryer is a must before we leave on the loop. And we haven't settled on a boat yet:hide:

Following:thumb: Admiral says washer/dryer is a must before we leave on the loop. And we haven't settled on a boat yet:hide:

I can not stand going to the marina laundry and my admiral refuses to

Not a good solution, but Haier makes a portable washer that is 20/19" wide. Also if you are desperate you might check the European market where the combos are universal. They might have a 120v model which they ship to Trinidad or the Virgins or other 120 volt markets.

We have had the vented Splendide combos in a previous boat and have one in our RV. We love it, however I would not have one of the ventless ones. The ventless ones use condensation and spinning to dry the clothes. You end up using a lot more water because they spray cold water on the drum and extract the water out of the clothes by condensation. They take a longer time to dry, if they do really dry and use much more water as a result. I would bite the bullit and find a way to vent the unit. They work very well IF you do not overload the washer since the dryer drum is the same drum. In most home units the dryer drum is larger than the washer so air can circulate through the wet clothes. If you overload the unit air can’t flow through the wet clothes so they don’t dry. You have to do smaller loads than a regular washer and dryer but you don’t have to carry the clothes up the dock and sit and wait on them. Besides I don’t really like to use laundromat units that much.

Unless absolutely necessary do not go with a ventless dryer. Most of the complaints about these combo units come from people dissatisfied with thee ventless dryer aspect.

I believe the biggest selling brand of the combo units in the United States is Splendide. We have have had one on and off for 19 years and have been very satisfied.

Living over here we have only the ventless (condensing) driers and they really suck. The only thing worse is the combo washer drier.

On a previous boat of mine the unit would not fit through the closet doorway either without removing all the trim molding. A big pain but at least no sawzall was needed.

Thanks Marty! I am trying to refigure my plan now...

Some great suggestions guys this thread is going to be very helpful for replacing our over under (the washer is shot) wish I was on the boat now and could get the measurements

Thanks for all the input and suggestions so far but can locate no Haier (or any other brand) under than 22D 23+W. Regarding possible partial disassembly and reassembly in place Splendide spokesperson says can't be done and any attempt would likely void all warranties. Looks like option is big metal tub and washboard or be happy to have more storage space.

Might be possible and certainly something to consider. Thanks.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions so far but can locate no Haier (or any other brand) under than 22D 23+W. Regarding possible partial disassembly and reassembly in place Splendide spokesperson says can't be done and any attempt would likely void all warranties. Looks like option is big metal tub and washboard or be happy to have more storage space.
Have you thought about bringing in a ship's carpenter for an estimate? Find a yard with a good carpenter and get an estimate. Sometimes tasks we see as labor intensive may be much easier and reasonable priced by a professional.

My parents bought a couch for their living room that absolutely couldn't be worked though an interior door. Someone suggested removing a window that over looked the porch and passing it in that way. It took the carpenter less than 2 hours to remove the window, have the couch inserted, and reinstall the window. A little touch up painting was required, but that was it.

Sometimes it pays to seek professional help.

Ted

On the Gulfstar 44 is the washer dryer in the companionway to the aft cabin? Is yours the one with the curved bulkhead going down the steps? Have you looked at the deck above the washer? Is it possible to cut the deck above the washer and slide it down into the compartment? Just trying to think outside the box... Or maybe crane it down vertically in the companionway?

Last edited:
You have got the layout exactly right. Area directly above is storage (good news for potential drop-in of new machine) but about that is compartment with aft ac condenser (not such good news) and above that aft deck floor but also some of aft cabin bulkhead (bad news) which would have to be removed and later replaced. All possible but extremely costly. In any case, thanks for the suggestion.

No problem. I love your boat. We would have had one except our yard can’t haul that big of a boat.

We have a Splendide in our RV that works very well. IT is vented. Don’t overload it.
My Admiral (take note you lowly Captains!) wants one on our soon to be our Kha Shing Vista. There is a closet in aft Cabin with a hatch to vent out. The only issue is that unless you want the holding tank filling up, must dump soapy water into ocean. I guess in some far away bay that will work, but not back in slip.

Definitely get a vented unit - I put several non-vented in some of my rental units - none worked well for long. But vented ones have worked very well with no problems. That's what I will put on our boat - probably Splendide.

I removed the oner/under unit and replaced with vented Splendide with good outcome. This does not help you narrow gangway but I built a shelif to set mine up at eye level instead of resting on the deck. If you place it in elevated state like i did does that give you any more wiggle room to work it to its final place? Its nice to have the extra stowage beneath it now too. I think the splendide is likely best option if you can getit placed. Good luck!

I removed the oner/under unit and replaced with vented Splendide with good outcome. This does not help you narrow gangway but I built a shelif to set mine up at eye level instead of resting on the deck. If you place it in elevated state like i did does that give you any more wiggle room to work it to its final place? Its nice to have the extra stowage beneath it now too. I think the splendide is likely best option if you can getit placed. Good luck!

With a sister ship (Krogen 42) we gained storage space both below and above the unit. Enough storage that all cleaning supplies are stored in the two compartments. We were also able to mount our port stabilizer ram below and behind the unit.

With a sister ship (Krogen 42) we gained storage space both below and above the unit. Enough storage that all cleaning supplies are stored in the two compartments. We were also able to mount our port stabilizer ram below and behind the unit.

This is my plan also or similar. Ours is in the master behind it are the stairs into the salon. In the stairs is 1 of my 4 AC units I need 2 more inches depth to get the next size larger unit, the rest of the space will be more storage.

We replaced our original unit with whirlpool stackable washer and dryer. JAT gave very detailed guidance on model numbers and removal and replacement procedures. It would have been a nightmare without his help. The thread is way down on the gulfstar trawler builder forum and is titled washer/dryer replacement 44MC. We’ve been very pleased with these units for almost 5 years now. Be sure to follow his instructions about removing the trim molding on the right side of the washer dryer opening

Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom