Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Group 9 and Scott

Nobody is right and no one is wrong.

Hower’s: “kind of like asking when the right time to get married is., or when the right time to retire is. I know people get tired of hearing, it depends, but that is so true. ”

Easy answer, never and as early as possible. :)

Agree, it depends on what you are looking for. I've spent time in various Bahamas locales in most every month of the year. We go to fish, spearfish, swim and hang out at the beach. We prefer to be on anchor.

I'm not a sailor. I consider wind to be the enemy of man.

For us, summer is the best time, fall can be nice too, other than the named storms threat. Early spring (Feb, Mar, April) is the worst. It just blows too hard too often and the water is cold.

I've heard a lot of people say that winter/spring is calmer in the Exumas than further north, but that has not been my experience at all. Perhaps it would be true way down to the South, I haven't been down there so I can't speak to it.

... We go to fish, spearfish, swim and hang out at the beach. We prefer to be on anchor....Early spring (Feb, Mar, April) is the worst. It just blows too hard too often and the water is cold...

:thumb: We’ve been to the Bahamas the last 3 years. Last year was the earliest for us with an early March arrival. Weather was ok in the Berry’s but in April the wind blew for almost 3 weeks and really killed the fishing. :mad: We have friends sitting in Miamai waiting on weather to cross over.

Here’s today’s forecast.

Wednesday 2/21
Morning
Moderate to strong E winds with choppy seas. Small very short period waves.

Winds: E 16 to 21 knots.
Seas: ESE 4 feet at 5 seconds.
Afternoon

Winds: E 15 to 20 knots.
Thursday 2/22
Morning

Winds: E 15 to 20 knots.
Seas: E 4 feet at 5 seconds.
Afternoon

Winds: E 15 to 21 knots.
Seas: E 4 feet at 5 seconds.
Friday 2/23
Morning

Winds: E 16 to 22 knots.
Afternoon

Winds: E 16 to 22 knots.
Saturday 2/24
Morning
Moderate to strong ESE winds with choppy seas. Small very short period waves.

Winds: ESE 14 to 20 knots.

Wifey B: You start doing too much of associating wind conditions with months and saying "oh, January is like this and October like that" and you're going to be so totally discombobulated by it all. Then you'll hear each time, "Well, this is very unusual for March or July". Just because one month on average has more or less wind doesn't mean at all that is what you will experience. It's just the way climate is. This January in South Florida and the Bahamas was nothing at all like last January or the year before. We had a group fly in from NYC and had exceptionally cold weather with highs not reaching the 70's so everyone was apologizing. They thought it was wonderful as they left 30 degree highs and 16 degree lows. Just don't assume this year will be like last year or any other year. If you do, you'll miss some great boating conditions and you'll end up in some bad ones. :ermm:

WifeyB

It’s all averages, some temperatures will deviate from the norm either colder or warmer, it’s just an average. Summer should be warmer than winter and as the months approach each other the distinction may not hold true.

Ate lunch at 12A Bouy today.

WifeyB

It’s all averages, some temperatures will deviate from the norm either colder or warmer, it’s just an average. Summer should be warmer than winter and as the months approach each other the distinction may not hold true.

Ate lunch at 12A Bouy today.

Wifey B: Good place, but I like their dinner menu better than lunch. Lunch, the best parts are the appetizers. We've gone and just gotten lots of them. :)

WifeyB

Sorry you guys aren’t here. Lots of good people for fun and games.

WifeyB

Sorry you guys aren’t here. Lots of good people for fun and games.

Wifey B: Poor us. We were stuck all day at Busch Gardens and now dinner at Bern's. :rolleyes: Tomorrow to Key West. 4:30 AM or so departure.

Hope you all have a great time with no injuries or issues. Hope the seas are calm for your trips home. Sunday looks pretty decent close to shore and south. :)

WifeyB

Berns use to be one of my favorite steak houses but about ten years ago it changed. Now not so much.

WifeyB

Berns use to be one of my favorite steak houses but about ten years ago it changed. Now not so much.

I used to go there in the mid 80s when it was basically the only game in town. Nice to know it’s still around. I guess Bern is gone as he was an old curmudgeon back then lol

WifeyB

Wifey B: The desserts are worth a trip anytime. We normally all get steaks or at least 80% will but tonight we decided as a group to explore the entire menu and did a lot of sharing. I'd had the lobster before but not the duck or lamb or snapper. Just had a couple of bites of each of them tonight. Everything super. Price annoys me with Bern's although we still go. They deserve a premium price but the prices they charge are ridiculous for FL. They're priced above Peter Luger and very expensive San Francisco and NY restaurants. :confused:

I'm a little late to the discussion, but I thought I would give you my $.02. In my opinion late spring/early summer is preferable to be in the Bahamas. The biggest problem with winter is the clocking of the winds to the west with the passing of cold fronts. In my opinion the best anchorages in the Bahamas are in the lee of the Exumas, and the out Islands like Conception and Long Island. These anchorages are spectacular when the winds are light and easterly. They are also untenable when the wends go west, which only happens with the passing of a winter/early spring cold front, which come almost weekly during that time. When the winter cold fronts approach, every boat in the Islands is heading for the relatively small number of marinas and anchorages that have protection from the west. It becomes a ridiculous game of musical chairs. June and July are very hot, but the cruising and anchoring options are so much better...in my opinion. The Abacos don't suffer from this issue because the entire Sea of Abaco is protected by Great Abaco, the problem is that the Abacos can be cold in the winter!

Bill

Please elaborate? Has something changed recently?

TIA

Whew, I thought they raised the entry fee agin.

We just delivered one from Sarasota seemed the same ole same ole

"beach set up fee" = $1000. LOL. The park's time has past. Sad. Lots of better places to be downstream from that. Boo Boo hill is just not worth that.

I think we will be passing them by next time, too. Rewarding this money grab will just encourage it in a lot of other areas.

What do you get for the "Beach Setup Fee" $1000?
What is an Internet Sheet?

I was trying to post a picture of the new Land and Sea Park fees.

Very pricey.

I’ll try again.

The problem is, Georgetown and everywhere else is going to be watching to see what happens. And, if they see people are willing to pay to anchor in open water, Ray Charles can see what is coming next.

For a first timer, cross West Palm to West End. Check in there and go through Memory Rock (or Indian Rock if your draft allows) and head to Great Sale for an overnight before heading on to the start of the Abacos proper.
Buy a Dodge Guide.
Glad this thread popped up as we are in the midst of planning our first Bahamas venture, specifically the Abacos. Our Dodge guide arrives today and as is usually the case, there are widely varying opinions on all aspects of this trip.

The bit we're trying to sort out right now is the point of departure for our crossing. We'll start motoring up from the Keys in the next two weeks and we're not on a schedule so regardless of where we stage we'll wait for as ideal a crossing forecast as possible. We have heard it suggested many times to cross from West Palm to West End which is appealing because of the relatively short distance across and proximity to the Gulf Stream on the Florida side. We're happy to travel the additional distance north within Florida if West Palm makes the most sense but should we also be looking at departing from Fort Lauderdale/elsewhere? We prefer to cruise at 10 kts.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

If you are coming from the Keys layover further south than Lake Worth (West Palm)and you will have more boost from the Gulf Stream to West End. Transient rates in Fort Lauderdale are lower at the city owned docks such as Las Olas and on the New River. There is a city mooring field by Las Olas Blvd, and a few other spots to anchor for a short term.

I agree Ft Lauderdale would be better. Last summer we crossed to Memory Rock from West Palm and still had to fight the current. On the way back we crossed from Memory Rock to Fort Pierce due to the current sweeping us along. We are only a 6.5 knot boat however.

We have heard it suggested many times to cross from West Palm to West End which is appealing because of the relatively short distance across and proximity to the Gulf Stream on the Florida side. We're happy to travel the additional distance north within Florida if West Palm makes the most sense but should we also be looking at departing from Fort Lauderdale/elsewhere? We prefer to cruise at 10 kts.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

The short distance is only an advantage if you're not taking into consideration current, which is certainly NOT the case. The current is the most significant aspect of the crossing, so why not take advantage of it. Crossing the shorter distance is moot if you're crabbing 35 degrees most of the way. Leave from further south, let the current work to your advantage and make the crossing in about the same amount of time. So, traveling the extra distance north in FL really imparts little advantage.

If your air draft is less than 32 ft, you could depart Baker's Haulover inlet. University Cove is just inside the inlet, it's a delightful anchorage next to a state park that has great trails. You can hang out there for a window. The inlet isn't one for bad weather, but if you're crossing, you're not going to have bad weather unless you're looking for a thrill ride to cross.

Bears repeating, don't cross with winds predicted with any northern component. Unless, you're looking for a thrill ride. It's a PLEASURE CRAFT, after all.

Safe travels!

Last edited:
Sounds like Ft Lauderdale makes the most sense - thanks for all of the great advice!

"beach set up fee" = $1000. LOL. The park's time has past. Sad. Lots of better places to be downstream from that. Boo Boo hill is just not worth that.

The beach setup fee is for the large charter boats that setup multiple tents and bring in multiple water toys for a beach party for their charter guests.

Not for your average cruiser who sets up a few blankets.

The beach setup fee is for the large charter boats that setup multiple tents and bring in multiple water toys for a beach party for their charter guests.

Not for your average cruiser who sets up a few blankets.

And, it appears that that is the clientele they are aiming for as their customers.

Back
Top Bottom