Summer Storage in N. or S. Carolina?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Rive

Vessel Name
currently boatless
While browsing on Active Captain I have discovered that marina rates in the Carolinas (for example around New Bern NC) are a LOT cheaper than anything down here in Florida. So I am starting to think we should haul out for the summer somewhere north of FL.

The priorities we have are, in order of importance,
1. Covered storage on land, or
2. Covered storage in the water
3. Hurricane protection
4. On a fresh water access to the AICW (up a creek)
5. Access to maintenance services if needed
6. Reasonably close to a major airport
7. And obviously a good reputation.

So for any East Coast veterans - where would you recommend? Thanks a lot. :)

David & Maria
M/V Loons Nest
currently in Marathon, FL

• There is very little covered storage in NC. There is some in Wilmington and there used to be some in Washington, NC... that burned down.
  • On the Neuse, hurricane holes where you can stay in the water during storms are Northwest Creek Marina, Pecan Grove, and River Dunes. Most of us haul out during named storms in nearby yards anyway. That is usually required in the lease agreement. (even though not TOTALLY binding). There is one or two in Wilmington. BBY is one for sure, but I don't know if the new Port City Marina is a hole or not. It may be.
  • There isn't much freshwater around here. Almost all are brackish or salt. Brackish from Elizabeth City to Beaufort... Salt the rest of the way to the SC border.
  • There are yards all over. Just about anywhere you end up, there will be a yard nearby.
  • The biggest airport is in New Bern. There is a smaller one in Beaufort, but I don't pay much attention to airports. We live close enough to drive.
  • Reputations vary by experience. I could type all day giving my opinion of every town, marina, and yard in NC (and we have seen a lot of them), but it doesn't mean spit because I will like different stuff than you :)

I'd be happy to chat with you on the phone if you need more info. Just PM me your contact info.

Covered storage for a boat that size is pretty much non-existant.
The other reqyuirements are widely available.
Define "major" airport. I can get anywhere by air from New Bern, for instance as long as I fly to Charlotte or Atlanta first.

I see Tom silmul-posted. I'd add the airports in Wilmington, Jacksonville, Myrtle Beach are all no less than new bern service wise.

https://www.bradleycreekmarina.com/ has some bigger covered slips. We viewed a 45' Californian there when we were shopping. But I would imagine they would require you to vacate for hurricanes. You'll want to check to be sure.

I'd add the airports in Wilmington, Jacksonville, Myrtle Beach are all no less than new bern service wise.

Oh right. Forgot about ILM. Whoopsie! :thumb:

I will add that SC north of Georgetown is fresh/brackish and probably hurricane holes (Osprey?), but Bess and I don't have a ton of experience with that area. Our specialty is NC :blush:

Hurricane Boatyard in Bayboro, about 30 miles east New Bern airport is one of the cheapest places to store on the hard in the area. Check elevations though. You need to be on the upper half to be sure of not floating off in an Irene type hurricane- the property slightly slopes down towards the water.

David

With any of the marinas, you need to check what their hurricane policy is. Many require you vacate; we always had ours hauled at Jarrett Bay, many yards have a program for this so plan ahead. The nice thing about the general Morehead City/Beaufort area is there are so many nice cruising and day trip grounds very close at hand, and lots and lots of marine service and product suppliers. Plus wonderful beaches. That's why when we stopped cruising we nestled down there.

Hurricane Boatyard in Bayboro, about 30 miles east New Bern airport is one of the cheapest places to store on the hard in the area. Check elevations though. You need to be on the upper half to be sure of not floating off in an Irene type hurricane- the property slightly slopes down towards the water.

David

But not covered per the OP request. Hurricane is good folks, but for that set up I like Wayfarer's Cove in Minnesott Beach better. I guess if the owner of the boat is not going to be in the neighborhood, adjacency to civilization or cruising grounds is not a big deal.

I used to leave my boat in Wilmington at Wilmington Marine Center off the Cape Fear river. My boats rode our Fran and another one (cat 3) without a scratch. Very good management and a yard on site. Haven’t kept a boat there in years but it is a known and proven hurricane hole

Does your insurance offer discounts if you summer further north? My insurance is heavily discounted if I remain north of Southport, NC during hurricane season. Laying up will be cheaper than wet slipped as well.

If wet storage might be an option, Osprey Marina in Myrtle Beach (actually Socastee) offers good rates. Dunno what their hurricane status -- risk, viability, etc. -- might be.

-Chris

If wet storage might be an option, Osprey Marina in Myrtle Beach (actually Socastee) offers good rates. Dunno what their hurricane status -- risk, viability, etc. -- might be.

-Chris

Anything along the Waccamaw River will be well protected from wind and wave action. Wacca Wache Marina in Murrells Inlet, just south of there wouldn't be bad either.

That is all Low Country down there. You're apt to get some storm surge. I've seen the water up into the parking lots there with some fixed docks under water. I haven't specifically been to Osprey to comment on it.

I'd be more concerned with flying tree limbs and debris at Osprey and Wacca Wache, down at water level they have excellent protection, seen it first hand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom