Mainship 350 Questions--New owner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beekeepergreg

Vessel Name
Mayrose
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 pilot
Hopefully the survey goes well and we close.

Boat is in NC and we would homeport in Manasquan, NJ

I would have to install a new GPS and Radar.

This year I figure that I have to install the transducer inside the hull until this winter when I put the boat on the hard, then maybe install a thru hull transducer.

Is there a good location for the in hull for the transducer?

Any tricks to running the wires from the bilge to the upper Helm?

Any tricks to running wires from the Mast to the upper Helm, never had a radar?

The head may need a new pump.

Does anyone know what pump or head model number?

The swim platform doesn't have inspection ports.

How do I know if there's water inside?

Hope to see you all on the water.

Rosie and Greg

I would have to install a new GPS and Radar.
This year I figure that I have to install the transducer inside the hull until this winter when I put the boat on the hard, then maybe install a thru hull transducer.
Any tricks to running the wires from the bilge to the upper Helm?

The head may need a new pump.
Does anyone know what pump or head model number?

GPS and wires from the bilge is a little confusing.

But if you meant depth-sounder... If the boat had a depth-sounder and transducer (not working now?) you might be able to identify the path it takes from bilge upward. And from helm(s?) downward. That may give you some ideas about where to look. I'd suspect there's a major wiring chase where almost everything runs.

If the toilet is electric, I'd guess it's a Jabsco model. If so, you can cruise through the Xylem website to match model to yours, depending on whether it's raw water or freshwater flush, etc. Jabsco's Quiet Flush, electric, freshwater, was a common OEM for Luhrs Group boats. If your's is a QF and if you have decent access, changing the macerator (pump/motor assembly) is easy.

OTOH, if it's a vacuum pump, I think that's maybe a Sealand product. (I forget...)

-Chris

Last edited:
Chris,
Thanks, The day of the sea trial and survey I will explore more. It sucks being 9 hours away and trying to plan and prepare the boat for the trip up north.
I am really looking forward to trip up the NC intercoastal and then up the Chesapeake Bay.
Greg

The surveyor should be able to answer those questions and more. Cover them in advance to make sure they look for them "while they're in there".

Who are you using for a surveyor down here?

In order to run a cable from the mast to the upper helm, the mast needs to be dropped. There are barrel nuts fiberglassed into the deck. They simply need to be removed. The cable runs down the mast, then into a hole in the deck. The path is then across the roof of the solon, inside of the chase where the ceiling grab rails are. They run to the windshield, then up into the upper helm console.

From the Engine compartment, wires and cables run up the Stbd side. they go through the bulkhead separating the engine compartment with the forward bilge space (under the sole hatch right at the helm. From there, they run straight up. You can pull the kiddie-corner panel the shower head and mixing valve is mounted on. Behind that, you will see a chase that runs straight up. There is also a chase in the "B" frame beside the lower helm between the side door and that triangular side window.

The pump should be a Jabsco Pump, and they make rebuild kits for them. I'll have to dig for the model number. I rebuilt the intake side last year.

Incidentally, regarding the swim platform. You don't need to check for water. I guarantee it's full of water.

This was a recall by Mainship. You are going to need to cut three holes in the swim platform. There is are two bulkheads in that space. 1 at 1/3 from the STbd and one at 1/3 from port. You will need to cut a hole in the swim platform in the middle of each compartment, then 'hog' out all of the wet nasty foam. We had a small bilge pump installed in there to handle discharging the water. I don't have a float switch on that pump, so I need to manually run it once a week to empty the 1-2 gallons of water.

George, I am using Steve Duncombe.

Shrew, Awesome--great heads up.
I will be in your neck of the woods this weekend.
Love that area.
Thanks
Greg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom