Plumbing Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrissnCurry

Vessel Name
Criss & Curry
Vessel Make
Krogen Sillouette 42
Okay everyone, I am very new to this type of situation and any help will be appreciated. I am updating our 87 Krogen Silhouette head sink faucets and have found some difficulties.
1. City water connection leaked over time and needs replacement.. (Because I broke it messing with it) It is an older model Jabsco that gets terrible reviews. Bought a different brand but is about 1/4 in larger that previous.
Would you just make the hole bigger and how or try to get the OEM.
2. All sinks (3) are plumbed with brass fittings that seem to be a touch different than I have seen in my homes and stuff that Big Boxes are not very much help with.
Any suggestions would help

Of course I don't have any pictures of what I am talking about at this time but figured I would at least throw it out to see what I could find

If you had a problem with the oem and it gets bad reviews, upgrade to a better product. If you make a mounting hole larger, if going through wood, make sure to seal the wood with some epoxy. Welcome to the adventure of owning a new to you boat!

Ted

When I bought my boat it had a jabsco city water connector with pressure regulator, pressure regulator was not working so I bought a new one, 3 month after install the new one broke so I bought another new one for the next season. I installed it and it broke 2 month later. At 60$ up here these are just rubbish. I bought another cheap one (shurflo if I remember well) that looks far more solid for half the price. Anyway now I get used to not being connected to city tap and it allows me to refresh my tank more often.
I also redid the sink plumbing using flexible connection so it won't break with vibration.

L

I’m not a big fan of connecting a boats water system directly to city water. If something breaks you can sink the boat. A couple of ways around the danger is to disconnect from city water when ever you leave the boat or put in a device that shuts off after a set number of gallons have passed through it.

As for marine faucets and sinks, I like the stuff that Scandvik sells.
http://www.scandvik.com

Thank you Ted, I will make sure if I enlarge the hole I will also seal.

2. All sinks (3) are plumbed with brass fittings that seem to be a touch different than I have seen in my homes and stuff that Big Boxes are not very much help with.

1st off, unless the boat will be a pier queen and you really need a city water connection, like HopCar said, it's an invitation for calamity. Just fill the tanks and abandon the water connection. That said, if you need to enlarge the hole, try a dremel with a sanding drum, or use Larry M's double hole saw trick to make a larger hole that will be uniform.

I'm not certain about KK's, but some of the Asian built boats use metric plumbing. My boat had metric faucets, I changed to US faucets, they were a challenge to install and I had a complete service truck at my disposal!! You are correct, there are few sources for metric plumbing fittings, although you can buy online if you know what you need. The nomenclature will cross you up every time if you're not schooled in it. Your replacement faucets will have standard plumbing sizes, although the connections can vary wildly by manufacturer and even by the type of faucet. If you post some photos of the connections, someone here or myself can name the fittings using trade accepted nomenclature so you can ask for the correct fittings. Trying to find a wing-whang for a wally washer at a plumbing supply house won't yield very satisfactory results. :)

Not to hijack, but very closely related- if your faucet comes with a pop-up waste assembly, make sure your lav basin is inch not metric. Metric basins will use an 80mm waste assembly. A 1-1/4" conventional popup will be too small and almost impossible to get to seal in a metric basin, so if you want to replace the waste assembly, you may have to buy an 80mm waste, and they're not cheap.

Pictures!!

If replacing valves and faucets try to find parts wit ceramic seals.

Much of the water in traveling is very hard , the ceramic seals last the longest.

Okay everyone, I am very new to this type of situation and any help will be appreciated. I am updating our 87 Krogen Silhouette head sink faucets and have found some difficulties.
1. City water connection leaked over time and needs replacement.. (Because I broke it messing with it) It is an older model Jabsco that gets terrible reviews. Bought a different brand but is about 1/4 in larger that previous.

Our boat originally came with a Jabsco water pressure regulator on the dockwater side, said be be rated to 35 psi. It crapped out after about 15 years... FWIW, I suspect many of the "terrible reviews" were because the 35 psi limit wasn't popular.

So I replaced it with a new Jabsco unit, slightly larger and rated to 45 psi. There were two options for their current model, one with a straight and one with an angled tailpiece, so you can chose whichever might work better.

It meant enlarging the hole, which wasn't a huge deal... although it did take solving how to create a pilot for the hole saw. In our case, we were able to use the screw holes for the original pressure regulator to temporarily cover the original hole with a useful piece of scrap... so we could drill the pilot hole in the scrap. The larger hole had some advantage in that I was better able to reach and attach to the PEX hose buried back inside there.

I believe there are also a bazillion other ways to solve the pressure regulator issue, using relatively off-the-shelf products.

I'd bet you can change faucets and fittings on your sinks with whatever commercial products you like from big box stores. Moen, or Delta, or Kohler, or whatever. You'll probably want to do all the fittings on a given sink with the same product, though, so it doesn't look goofy. :) But it's just plumbing... although as Maerin says, it helps to know the dimensions you need and the correct name for all the gizmos.

-Chris

Last edited:
I'm not certain about KK's, but some of the Asian built boats use metric plumbing. My boat had metric faucets, I changed to US faucets, they were a challenge to install and I had a complete service truck at my disposal!! If you post some photos of the connections, someone here or myself can name the fittings using trade accepted nomenclature so you can ask for the correct fittings. Trying to find a wing-whang for a wally washer at a plumbing supply house won't yield very satisfactory results. :)

Pictures!!

I didn't even think about Metric, boat was definitely built in Asia. Pictures to come soon to hopefully help, as soon as I figure out how to post them LOL.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom