Accumulator Bladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
I blew out another one . I thought I had everything winterized just right but when I filled my water tanks and turned on my pressure water I blew the bottom out of my accumulator bladder. This is the second time for me :banghead:. It’s a Jabsco. My badder is facing down , does this matter ? It’s about an 80$ fix . I don’t want to go through this next year .

Can you replace it with a metal only tank, or do they all have bladders?

I had a jabsco accumulator tank bladder have leakage issues .
I glued the split shut with generic brand super glue and reinstalled next day
Over 12 mths of daily use since and still OK.
Might be worth a try?

I blew out another one . I thought I had everything winterized just right but when I filled my water tanks and turned on my pressure water I blew the bottom out of my accumulator bladder. This is the second time for me :banghead:. It’s a Jabsco. My badder is facing down , does this matter ? It’s about an 80$ fix . I don’t want to go through this next year .

The outlet needs to face down. Cycle the pump a couple of times to make sure there are no water pockets. I let the pink stuff come out of the faucet into a plastic container and poor it back into the water tank.

Ted

BTW, a home water heater expansion tank can be had for under $50.

Ted

Use an Extrol ST-5. It'll have a 3/4" MPT connection, you may need to adapt it to the existing piping. As others mentioned, it's not a bad idea to have the connection pointing down, but if the tank is set up correctly, when the system is opened, e.g. pressure shut off and drained, the tank bladder should displace the entire contents of the tank regardless of orientation. Having the outlet down improves your odds against winterizing freeze damage.

This is the type of pressure water system I have , but it is installed completely ass backwards of this . The bladder part is down and the screen is down . I didn’t use the pink stuff this year . I was thinking that maybe it was damaging the bladder . I drained the tanks and all lines , even blew all the lines out with air pressure. I guess with bladder down water was still lying in the bottom. It blew the top off the bladder ( in my case the bottom)

Attachments

• EFFF43CD-ACB3-4476-9D2E-5F3C44CC957F.jpg
    EFFF43CD-ACB3-4476-9D2E-5F3C44CC957F.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 79
Ours is that system, upside down from your pic. There's a bladder inside the accumulator canister, and if that had been ruptured, you might have had fresh water in there too... which might not have been flushed out as you pumped air through your system.

Was yours older? If so, and if the internal bladder was ruptured, it may have been on its last legs anyway...

FWIW, I winterize with air pressure, too, but when all that's done I run a little pink stuff through the strainer/pump/accumulator anyway (disconnected at both ends) just to protect the pump a bit more, mostly... but that would also add some belt and suspenders to the accumulator winterization.

-Chris

"BTW, a home water heater expansion tank can be had for under $50."

For a few bucks more you can get a 6-10 gal tank , if you can figure away to mount it.

This IS a case where bigger is better as the larger the accumulator the fewer off on cycles the pump will need to make.

And the easier it is for the system to handle the volume changes from a HW heater.

"BTW, a home water heater expansion tank can be had for under $50."

For a few bucks more you can get a 6-10 gal tank , if you can figure away to mount it.

This IS a case where bigger is better as the larger the accumulator the fewer off on cycles the pump will need to make.

And the easier it is for the system to handle the volume changes from a HW heater.

I had a 11 gallon water heater and no expansion tank on my last boat .if you pressurized the system and then turned on the water heater it would bust one of the water lines. we started turning the pump off and releasing the pressure then it worked fine after the initial warm up. it was on the list to add an apartment expansion tank.

This system works good for our little boat and the way we use it . I guess I can’t get away with not using a little of the pink stuff in the system .

Last edited:
This system works good for our little boat and the way we use it . I guess I can’t get away with not using a little of the pink stuff in the system .

FWIW, we just bump the pump for about a second or so, with both ends disconnected and the antifreeze source just before the strainer... and that shoots enough pink through so that it begins to come out on the accumulator end.

Then in Spring, flushing with fresh water the same way -- disconnected from the whole system at either end -- gets all the pink out without affecting the water heater of the rest of the system.

Our easiest inject point for winterizing with air pressure is the dockwater inlet. My theory is that in this method the air then approaches the accumulator and pump from the wrong direction, doesn't necessarily get all the water out of those nor out of the strainer at the opposite end.

It's easy enough to empty the strainer, but that wouldn't clear the pump and accumulator, I think. Or I could change the air pressure source to just before the strainer... or I could just bump the bump with no water source at all attached, guess that'd work... maybe... (not sure it'd drain the accumulator)...

But it's easy, given the QEST quick-connect snap fittings, to just bump a little pink through.

-Chris

Well here it is .

Attachments

• D39B5DCB-74AE-44B7-A030-87AD3E7476FE.jpg
    D39B5DCB-74AE-44B7-A030-87AD3E7476FE.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 67
If the tank was almost empty I don’t see how freezing can do this. Forming ice would have enough place to expand without damage, like a half full bottle in a freezer. When you did blow air in the line was it highly compressed air?

L

If the tank was almost empty I don’t see how freezing can do this. Forming ice would have enough place to expand without damage, like a half full bottle in a freezer. When you did blow air in the line was it highly compressed air?

L
Maybe it was just time to go .

You may reach out to jabsco... the plastic tank may had a built fault in the plastic that made it fail, nothing to loose to ask them about warranty.

It blew 20 minutes after I filled the tank and got all the air out of the lines . We had good water pressure and we had just fixed us a drink, high fived each other and boom she went . Maybe I trapped some air and over pressurized the bladder.

Marty, bring your boat to Miami and you’ll never have to winterize again, and you can take me for boat rides.

As per my earlier post where I superglued the bladder split together we also had a split in the plastic tank.
Superglued the split then sanded the plastic and wrapped it in epoxy resin and a couple of layers of 5oz cloth.
12 mths of use on a daily basis, no problems.

The things you do when shops are not around the corner. (-;

Marty, bring your boat to Miami and you’ll never have to winterize again, and you can take me for boat rides.
Now that’s a plan.

As per my earlier post where I superglued the bladder split together we also had a split in the plastic tank.
Superglued the split then sanded the plastic and wrapped it in epoxy resin and a couple of layers of 5oz cloth.
12 mths of use on a daily basis, no problems.

The things you do when shops are not around the corner. (-;
Dude you are pretty handy .

"Maybe I trapped some air and over pressurized the bladder."

NO , air compresses so is no problem , expanding water just keeps getting to a higher pressure , so blowout.

Winterizing be sure to get to the sink diverter valve and hand spray , theycan freeze and leak too.

Dont ask!

"Maybe I trapped some air and over pressurized the bladder."

NO , air compresses so is no problem , expanding water just keeps getting to a higher pressure , so blowout.

Winterizing be sure to get to the sink diverter valve and hand spray , theycan freeze and leak too.

Dont ask!

Air compresses but if pressure in the tank exceed tank maximum the tank will blow. Not sure what is the max pressure for these tiny plastic tanks but should not be very high.

L

If the accumulator tank is mounted incorrectly with the filler top most then it cannot drain. It also will not blow out.

That means water will stay in it almost full. Even though you winterize there may not be enough A/f to fully protect it so it freezes.
Even though one would think the pressurized bladder would push the water out maybe it cannot do so enough to prevent damage.

When it freezes the result is a burst accumulator.

Remount the accumulator. It may need some different fittings and a bit more hose but better than bursting the unit. But the outlet/filler needs to be the low point.

Of course I could be all wet.

Last edited:
In Pack Mule's post #7 he indicates the pic is upside down. IOW, his units are mounted correctly.

-Chris
Maybe I wasn’t clear.Mine is mounted opposite of the picture with the bladder facing down . If I have enough room under the deck for the bladder to face up , I could just flip the whole unit over .

Last edited:
Maybe I wasn’t clear.Mine is mounted opposite of the picture with the bladder facing down . If I have enough room under the deck for the bladder to face up , I could just flip the whole unit over .

Yes, bladder facing downward -- i.e., Schraeder valve underneath -- is correct.

-Chris

Yes, bladder facing downward -- i.e., Schraeder valve underneath -- is correct.

For other readers, I just told Marty in our PM exchange that I probably really should have instead said that his mounting position is workable and apparently not uncommon. I don't think there's a mandatory orientation. Jabsco's literature shows the accumulator mounted one way, the pump another, etc... Happens ours is mounted like his, too, likely a builder's decision based on PEX routing and overall mounting considerations for the three-piece unit, strain relief, and so forth (just guessing).

-Chris

Another point is the expansion tank does not have to be located near the pump or HW heater.

Any place in the FW line will work , perhaps in a different location a larger bladder can be used.

We mount the house style tanks with the water hookup on the bottom , aith quality SS reinforced hose.

To winterize , the hose is simply disconnected and the tank drains.

KISS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom