Pasquotank River, North Carolina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
Does anyone have recent experience with water depths in the upper reaches of the Pasquotank and Turners Cut, south of the canal? The chart colors suggest at least a fathom at MLW, but no soundings north of mile marker 40 that I can see. Thanks.

This is a recent release after they opened the Dismal last November. I am going through in 2 weeks,.

a) AIWW-Dismal Swamp Canal currently has a controlling depth of 6 feet at centerline and 50 feet wide except at The Big Entry Ditch (MM #13) and the Feeder Ditch (MM #22) where the width narrows to approximately 25 feet wide. These shoaled areas have been marked with green and red stakes to show the channel. Due to the narrow channel, only one vessel can pass in these two areas of the canal at a time.

b) AIWW-Turners Cut Channel just south of the South Mills Lock currently has a controlling depth of 5.9 feet at center line and 80 feet wide. A remaining shoal south of Joyce Creek has been marked with green and red stakes to show the channel where the canal narrows to approximately 40 feet wide. Due to the narrow channel, only one vessel can pass in this area of the Turners Cut at a time.

c) Norfolk District Corps of Engineers crane barge will working at the Big Entry Ditch and Turners Cut this spring. Additional dredging is scheduled for this summer in the Dismal Swamp Canal at the Feeder Ditch.

when I bought my boat I was planning to bring it home that way Dec 2017. everything looked doable but there were reports of the duckweed being so bad people had to clean there strainers every half hour .so I went the VA cut. did the great freeze kill off the duckweed .

Duck weed dies off by late fall to early winter. Have not had a problem with it from October through April. When I go back and forth to Hatteras in June, it still doesn't seem to be bad.

Ted

I live off the Pasq tk river, I saw a few boats going North and South this week so it's doable, I know a few people along there and they say they haven't seen any depths less than 6ft.

Back
Top Bottom