Old 04-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #14
ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatscott152 View Post
Right now our housing allowance for Honolulu is $2600 and with a boat payment of around $500-700, insurance, and a $600 slip/liveaboard fee, I'll be easily able to save into a separate boat fund for repairs, maintenance, and to maintain payments If I am unable to sell immediately upon leaving.

It seems that trawlers in general come up and sell relatively fast here and if I had a liveaboard slip to rent out or transfer in the sale, its that much more marketable. Right now I'm just burning $2000+ a month into rent and getting no return whatsoever, so even selling the boat at a large 'loss' at the end of five years would be no different than if I had been paying someone else's mortgage via rent.

Thanks for your service, Scott.

Consider that you're not spending your time doing any maintenance at the place you currently rent. From your pics, the boat looks like a "maintenance every day" proposition, much of that maybe being about identifying/fixing incessant source of leaks and some about all that electrical spider web... and then there's all the other issues that come with a boat, even a new boat. I doubt you'd ever get it completely dry, and mold is a bad thing.

IOW, my guess is that boat will cost you more than you're paying now, either in money (if/when you have to hire somebody) or time, or both.

But then I'd suspect many boats would fall into that category, not just that one.

-Chris