View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
greatscott152

City: Honolulu
Thank you very much Donsan. The intent would be for resale upon leaving, however a lot of pilots have been able to go to advanced training and return to Hawaii with an extension to four or five years which would be the plan for me.

Right now our housing allowance for Honolulu is $2600 and with a boat payment of around $500-700, insurance, and a $600 slip/liveaboard fee, I'll be easily able to save into a separate boat fund for repairs, maintenance, and to maintain payments If I am unable to sell immediately upon leaving.

It seems that trawlers in general come up and sell relatively fast here and if I had a liveaboard slip to rent out or transfer in the sale, its that much more marketable. Right now I'm just burning $2000+ a month into rent and getting no return whatsoever, so even selling the boat at a large 'loss' at the end of five years would be no different than if I had been paying someone else's mortgage via rent.

As far as cruising goes it would just be island hopping in the local area to Molokai, Maui, and Lanai or the circuit around Oahu.
greatscott152 is offline   Reply With Quote