catapiller 3208 engine zincs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sea Wind

Hello.

I have two cats 3208's and I don't have an engine manual and there are no maintenance records to tell me when or where the engine zincs are and how many of them are there. The diesel book that I have does not address* the issue.* Any one have an Idea?

worried

Larry

Larry, Take a look at Boatdiesel.com. Browsing is free. For anything more you need to buy a $35 annual subscription - excellent investment IMHO. You should find everything you need there, including (probably) where to buy a sevice manual.

There's a lot of 3208 arrangements out there...so no one source may explain where all your zincs are.* Do yourself and the next owner/mech a favor and paint the zinc plugs a contrasting color from the engine.

Mine had 7 per engine...2 in exhaust elbow, 2 in oil cooler, and 3 in the heat exchanger.* The first 4 were easy to see they were zincs, the other 3 is where*I thought 1 or 2 were overkill over the 3..*but when I pulled all the plugs on the heat exchanger..all had threads for zincs.

The zincs are in*nice locations...*as pull them all...crack the plate on the back of the sea water pump and the engine is drained for winterization..at least mine was.

-- Edited by psneeld on Wednesday 9th of November 2011 06:15:55 AM

thanks to all who responded.
That site boatdiesel.com has a lot of good answers.
Iwill take your advice, and paint the heads of the zincs green
Nine zincs replaced? How many engines do you have?
I just ordered the manual and service manual, both for around $275.00.

Thanks again for your responses
Larry

I just pulled my heat exchanger apart there are 3 zincs Two small ones on the port side of the engine one on the starboard. They are located on the end caps of the heat exchanger. The port 2 side ones are located on the front and the starboard one is on the bottom of the bonnet

This*is with a drystack. I don't know about a wet exhaust. The zincs have a square dead on the bolt.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 14th of November 2011 01:20:29 PM

Back
Top Bottom