Rice Krispies??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MakinMemories

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Makin Memories
Vessel Make
1987 41' President
There is a persistent "rice krispies" like noise only at certain locations when we tie up. Has anyone experienced this also?:confused:

get a net free lunch.

Shrimp eating Rice Krispies.

They only do it in Florida. Strange place.

Sarasota is the loudest and most consistent place to hear them in the whole SWFL region. Occasionally you get the "woodpecker", about 2 Hertz Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap... Sounds like a surveyors hammer.

Last edited:
I was told shrimp, but when I googled dolphins, I heard exactly the same sound. According to the you-tube video they are clicks made by dolphins hunting.

would bet the ranch its shrimp if it is faint ticking..... some fish will sound like tapping or grunts....

I have had lots of dolphin around in anchorages and have heard sqeaks snd loud clicks, but nothing like the faint ticking of shrimp.

If it were dolphins, I'd expect to hear them vent occasionally.

If it were dolphins, I'd expect to hear them vent occasionally.

Interesting, we've had many dolphins around the boat and they've never uttered an angry word! :)

Yep. Shrimp
Wished I had read a thread about this before we Looped. First time was Panama City Fl. Of course it was the middle of the night when I heard it. Went through the bilges of the entire boat with a flashlight in my pj's looking for termites.

Yep. Shrimp
Wished I had read a thread about this before we Looped. First time was Panama City Fl. Of course it was the middle of the night when I heard it. Went through the bilges of the entire boat with a flashlight in my pj's looking for termites.

Growing up on the water in the Tampa Bay area and then having our boat in Sarasota for the last 5 years it is just a natural sound for us. I bet it really did freak you out hearing for the first time on the loop

I get a similar tapping on my stern every morning but it is a pair of swans with 4 yearlings tapping my swim platform looking for breakfast.

I get a similar tapping on my stern every morning but it is a pair of swans with 4 yearlings tapping my swim platform looking for breakfast.

Hey, at least they knock first. Around here the otters just barge right in.:D

Marty...................

I heard the shrimp phenomenon in Hilton Head marina back in 2010 after I tied up my sailboat there. It had a clean and recently bottom painted hull as well. At first I thought it was an electrical arcing somewhere. Later conversation with the dock-master said it was shrimp feeding.

"Went through the bilges of the entire boat with a flashlight in my pj's looking for termites."

The real fear on a fiberglass boat is POLLYESTER MITES!

"

The real fear on a fiberglass boat is POLLYESTER MITES!

Ha Ha ! Your right! I didn't know what I was hearing but it was something I never heard before. When my sister-in-law visited us in Ft Myers, she couldn't sleep the first night because of them and joked that the next time we haul the boat we would see little holes in the bottom from something chewing. Fast forward to Charleston and routine cleaning of the sea strainers and these show up!!! My wife laughs and says "see, my sister was right"
DSC_0623.jpg

While anchored on the Hudson, I heard a gurgling sound that was like air and water venting through pipes. I looked for two days trying to find the source. When we got to Waterford, other boater informed me it was Bullfrogs.

If you want things that go bump in the night try the Great Lakes when the Carp are mating.

Fiberglasshoppers. Very common in that area.

There's no cure.

If you want things that go bump in the night try the Great Lakes when the Carp are mating.

Visiting quests wanted to stay over night on our boat docked slip in front of our house. Early am I was informed something was loose inside the boat and tapping against the hull. It was carp.

we have a local manatee that scratches her back on the boats that do not do regular cleaning

Back
Top Bottom