Surprise, surprise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Yesterday we went with some friends to Steveston in BC, which is a fishing port at the mouth of an arm of the Fraser River just south of Vancouver.* They have a big fish market which is comprised of commercial fishing boats backed up to the docks, and you buy directly off the boats.* In strolling around I noticed there were primarily two types of anchors popular in this fleet based on the boats I saw yesterday.* One, predictably enough, is the Northill.* The other is rollbar anchors, specifically big Rocnas and Manson Supremes.* And here I was thinking that rollbar anchors were only for yachties like the Dashews.** Go figure.

Attachments

• steveston 1.jpg
    steveston 1.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 93
You actually saw roll bar anchors on commercial fishing vessels? *Never seen one in Alaska. Anybody else seen roll bar anchors on commercial vessels?*

They built a lot of wonderful fish boats in and around Steveston. In the 70s I moored my boat accross the river in Ladner (Captian's Cove). I was one of the first boats there.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Monday 7th of November 2011 02:38:54 PM

nomadwilly wrote:
You actually saw roll bar anchors on commercial fishing vessels?

*Not a ton of them, but about as many as I saw Northills.* This is of the boats I saw. There were a lot more out in the commercial marina beyond the fish market boats and I didn't go out there.

I wonder if Rocna got a foot in the door while they were manufacturing anchors in BC?*

cheers,

I don't know. There appeared to be more Mansons-- I assume they were Mansons: they had the shank slot--- as Rocnas. The local commercial fishing store--- the one that sells things like gillnets, longline gear, and commercial crab and shrimp pots---- had both Mansons and Rocnas on the floor as well as other types.

You actually saw roll bar anchors on commercial fishing vessels?

Must have been a heck of a sale!!

Marin wrote:
I don't know. There appeared to be more Mansons-- I assume they were Mansons: they had the shank slot--- as Rocnas. The local commercial fishing store--- the one that sells things like gillnets, longline gear, and commercial crab and shrimp pots---- had both Mansons and Rocnas on the floor as well as other types.
Marin, Marin, Marin....they don't have shank slots in Rocnas.* You should know that.* You've got one for heaven's sake.* The only anchors with the shank slot are Super Sarcas, (like mine), and the knock-off copy of a sort of combination of the Rocna and Sarca, (concave fluke like the Rocna, and slotted shank like the Sarca, with roll-bar common to both), Manson call their Supreme.*

So, if they had a slotted shank, they were Manson Supremes....or....someone over there is now importing Super Sarcas.* If so, ya'all better go grab one now, asap, and you'll never regret it.*

Oh boy, sort of stuck the old neck out there a bit, didn't I.* However, sadly, I suspect they are Mansons, and if so I cannot vouch for them personally, but they should be ok, but they are not as good as the Sarca, or Rocna for that matter.

-- Edited by Peter B on Tuesday 8th of November 2011 07:32:21 AM

How old and what size where commercial boats?**

Peter B wrote:Marin wrote:
I don't know. There appeared to be more Mansons-- I assume they were Mansons: they had the shank slot--- as Rocnas. The local commercial fishing store--- the one that sells things like gillnets, longline gear, and commercial crab and shrimp pots---- had both Mansons and Rocnas on the floor as well as other types
Marin, Marin, Marin....they don't have shank slots in Rocnas.* You should know that.* You've got one for heaven's sake.*

*You missed the punctuation.* The sentence reads- There appeared to be more Mansons (that is I assume they were Mansons as they had the shank slots) as Rocnas.

I use dashes more than parantheses--- it makes it more obvious how the sentence should be read.* My publisher likes it, too.

In looking again at what*I wrote I should have said "...than Rocnas." but the meaning should still have been clear.

I know Rocnas don't have the shank slot--- we would never have bought one if it did :)

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 8th of November 2011 11:28:54 PM

Phil Fill wrote:How old and what size where commercial boats?**
They ranged in size from about 36' to perhaps 45' feet or so.* And all of them were old or old-ish*judging by their exterior condition.* Some were the classic troller-style boats (but they weren't rigged as trollers) with wood hulls and the ironwood bow protection.* There seemed to be a pretty even mix of wood, fiberglass, and metal boats.

Marin wrote:*You missed the punctuation.* The sentence reads- There appeared to be more Mansons (that is I assume they were Mansons as they had the shank slots) as Rocnas.
I use dashes more than parantheses--- it makes it more obvious how the sentence should be read.* My publisher likes it, too.

In looking again at what*I wrote I should have said "...than Rocnas." but the meaning should still have been clear.

I know Rocnas don't have the shank slot--- we would never have bought one if it did :)
*And you missed the tongue in cheek, Marin, 'cause you couldn't see it - I should have used a smiley.* I didn't think you would get that wrong really, nor change your - in my experience - misplaced view on slotted shanks.* However, I admit when you left out the 'than' I sort of mentally saw a 'with" so in my mind it read, "as with Rocnas"...

Peter B wrote:However, I admit when you left out the 'than' I sort of mentally saw a 'with" so in my mind it read, "as with Rocnas"...
*That's why I have an editor...... :)

The roll bar anchors are very common on our trawler fleet these days. (prawn trawlers)
A local machine shop knocks a lot of them up and they are very popular,our guys anchor up a fewdays in a row out in the deep water and trawl over the nights.
Stay out in some ordinary sort of weather but not extreme as it is hartd on the product especially if you are keeping your prawns in brine ice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom