Captain or Truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sully11060

I am looking into buying a boat in Quebec Canada and bring it back to east coast ( Rhode Island) Anyone know a Captain to hire and how the process works at border or easier to have it hauled back bu truck !Thanks

What size?
Able to inland route to NYC?
It's a wonderful trip...Richleau... Lk Champlain & NY canals to NYC
Consider floating it w experienced help or a Capt as a training trip.

I would run it home. Not truck it if I could help it.

I would not take the FB off for a distance that short. Go the delivery route.

Tough to give an ETA, since the NY state canals can be unpredictable early in the season. There are a lot of locks along that inland route too. It's a trip I'd love to make though. I'd figure at least 2 weeks without stopping to smell the roses or have fun along the way.

We did NYC to Detroit in 2 weeks (Erie/Oswego/Welland), so as mentioned 2 weeks would be a good estimate. We also spent a day on each end disassembling/assembling to meet the 20-foot requirement.

I have to believe hiring a captain w/expenses would be less expensive than taking off the FB and running gear, along with the shipping cost.

Last edited:
Depending on your experience, and budget, you could hire a captain for the first week, then do the second week on your own.

We did NYC to Detroit in 2 weeks (Erie/Oswego/Welland), so as mentioned 2 weeks would be a good estimate. We also spent a day on each end disassembling/assembling to meet the 20-foot requirement.

I have to believe hiring a captain w/expenses would be less expensive than taking off the FB and running gear, along with the shipping cost.

Not to mention all the leaks and electrical problems you will induce by removing a flybridge if it has one.

Not sure I can agree with this.

Sorry if you disagree. Good friend of mine lived on his Californian for 20 years. Had it trucked from California to Texas. He had leaks that were never there before. Had electrical problems that took him almost 2 years to trace and fix. And he had the most recommended yard do the disassembly and replacement and still had a myriad of problems. He didn’t have much of a choice as to shipping it or running it to Texas, the boat didn’t have anywhere the legs to run it on it’s own bottom so he shipped it. Given the relatively short distance and the superb cruising I would run the one in question 100 out of 100 times unless the boat is not in running condition.

Oh and by the way, I used to move boats cross country for a living.

Sorry if you disagree. Good friend of mine lived on his Californian for 20 years. Had it trucked from California to Texas. He had leaks that were never there before. Had electrical problems that took him almost 2 years to trace and fix. And he had the most recommended yard do the disassembly and replacement and still had a myriad of problems. He didn’t have much of a choice as to shipping it or running it to Texas, the boat didn’t have anywhere the legs to run it on it’s own bottom so he shipped it. Given the relatively short distance and the superb cruising I would run the one in question 100 out of 100 times unless the boat is not in running condition.

Oh and by the way, I used to move boats cross country for a living.

I think Bob is assuming that you are not going to put the fly bridge back on. Which is normal proceedure for him :)

Mainship 390 How long of a trip?
Following best guess w/o log book in hand and running longer days vs sightseeing
Quebec to Lk Champlain via Richleau 2-3 days
Lk Champlain to Whitehall 1-2 dys
Whitehall to Troy 1-2 days
Troy to NYC 1-2
NYC - RI ?? Haven't done that but guess 1-2 dys
You could probably do it in wk to 10 days if necessary. And if reqd leave it on lower Hudson or CT to complete the trip next wkend?
If you could take 2 wks it would be an easy decision...at least for me.

I have to agree... removing & replacing bridge best avoided if at all possible.
Can be expensive and problematic... even though it's done all the time doesn't mean it's EZ.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom