Orange Beach for spring break (overnight suggestions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
We’re taking the Rose to Orange Beach for Easter/spring break. I would like to anchor around Robinson island but I would love some advice, this is our first trip to Alabama.

You could try Pirates Cove in Josephine or go a little further and try the big lagoon .The cut into Pirates Cove might be a little tight for the Rose . Have fun wish we were there .

I’ve been looking on google maps, looks to be some small islands east of ono island

IMG_0788.jpg

There used to be a wood boat builder behind Pirates Cove marina that had a couple of cool boats.He may still be there.

Many people anchor between the Channel and Robinson island or bird island next door. Deep water there. Anchor in stern first. Be careful as there are bars around the area but there is a section that is deep in the area between the channel and the islands. Get there early as I am sure others will be trying to do the same.

Does the current run hard through there, I’ll have people swimming and kayak riding, don’t want to loose anyone

Last edited:
Yes, it does run on a tide change. There are places around the island that are less prone to the current. Overall not the best place to swim. As someone else mentioned Pirates Cove is better for that. Nice lagoon area and pretty much no current.

There are a couple of small islands around Tacky Jacks which is on the west side of the channel. Current is far less there. Not such a great area for deep draft however.

It's not the beach, but Ingram Bayou, mile 164 and Robinson Bayou, behind Pirates Cove mile 165 are nice anchorages. This week just about everything down here is pretty busy, lots of boat traffic of all sorts.

Sorry for a late reply. We live on Ono. Those islands to the east are in pretty shallow water. What do you draft? If you head a bit west on Old River, you will be in a pretty good anchorage 10 - 12 ft (right across from our house). Traffic is steady but not terrible.

I draw about 4.5’. We’re dragging a 25’ cc to get around in but I wanted to be close to something the kids could kayak too and hang out

Hey I think your best bet would be smack in front of Robinson Island then. Right across from Boggy Point boat landing. You can get in close to the island (water is pretty deep). You are paddling distance from marinas and restaurants. It gets pretty crowded but good folks mostly. And it's no wake. But there is a current swing so mind your rode. I've seen big boats at anchor here often. Great place.

Attachments

• anchor.jpg
    anchor.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 124
Our favorite anchorages there.

Ingram Bayou
Roberts Bayou (just past Pirate's Cove). Stay close to the west side of the narrow entrance channel. Watch out for swimmers.
Just south of Pirates Cove. Lot of wakes but good holding.
South of Ono Island, near Florabama.
We took five feet of draft into all of those places.

Terry Cove is nice after dark. A million wakes in the day. A lot of skinny water coming in, but charted well. At least on our Garmin.

It's going to be wild everywhere on weekends there starting about now.

And Barber's has great transient rates if you want to tie up, but it's isolated. The Wharf is expensive but worth it. Bear Point is rough, but really fun at night, at the Broken Oar with all the dolphin cruisers. Sportsman's is nice.

Last edited:
Well we stayed here, great spot
IMG_0808.jpg

We saw several trawlers from MS around the island. One from ocean springs I thought was you! But it was the It'a Do. Glad ya'll had a good time.

The depths were shallow where I stayed, 3-4’ and we left this morning on a low tide and drug bottom for a while to get out, next time I’ll move in front of zeks marina

Thanks Hjorgan Thursday was the best, we bar hopped in the little boat, we cut out trip early due to the inclement weather headed this way

swampu did you bat hope to pirates cove ?

Paul, if it is a family trip, Marty's suggestion of Big Lagoon is a good one. You can anchor right behind the Gulf beach. You will be in a dinghy ride to the Oyster Bar, Rusty's, and I like Triggers Restaurant. If it's spring break time in Orange Beach you don't want to be there---especially the Flora-Bama.

The depths were shallow where I stayed, 3-4’ and we left this morning on a low tide and drug bottom for a while to get out, next time I’ll move in front of zeks marina

That's what I was afraid of. Too skinny for us!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom