Relocating the tender - digression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BaltimoreLurker

Curmudgeon
Vessel Name
Moon Dance
Vessel Make
1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
While following the other thread the SO asks - why don't we get a pedal boat for a dink?* Well .... interesting question.*

Have any of you guys gone this route, or even considered it?

Attachments

• pedal boat.gif
    pedal boat.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 55
BaltimoreLurker wrote:
While following the other thread the SO asks - why don't we get a pedal boat for a dink?* Well .... interesting question.*

Have any of you guys gone this route, or even considered it?

That might work in an area with relatively low currents (or no currents).* But try get anywhwere in a pedal boat up here when the currents are running and one's progress will be to the rear (or to the side).* It's the main reason we swtiched from rowing our dinghy to getting a motor.* Nothing wrong with rowing but when we got caught in a current exiting an anchorage and were barely able to row out of it, that's when we decided to get a motor for the dinghy.* Particularly in an emergency situation you want to be able to get to where you want to be as quickly as practical.* Being swept off in a different direction despite your furious pedalling (or rowing) we decided was not a viable option.

Marin:

Yeah, I hear that!* I figure I have only 5 - 10 minutes of peddling in me. So if I'm fighting a current it's a problem.* We have located a candidate boat that has a molded-in bracket for a small outboard.* We have an ancient 2HP Seagull, or something like that.* Basically a weed whacker with a prop, that we can bolt on.

BaltimoreLurker wrote:*We have an ancient 2HP Seagull, or something like that.
Those are the best motor little motors you can get, if you can get them started!

And they are good at scaring bears away, too.

I suspect those pedal boats are quite heavy too.

BaltimoreLurker wrote:
We have an ancient 2HP Seagull, or something like that.* Basically a weed whacker with a prop, that we can bolt on.
Lurker -
My first o/b boat consisted of a 1.7 hp Neptune Mighty Mite on a fiberglass*6' Pixie dink... in 3rd grade.* I paid $77 for it brand new - I recall it well.* Dad already had the dink and I bought the Mighty Mite motor with money earned from working on dad's boat with him!* I used that combo for a couple years till I out grew it.* Chunky kid!* Barrel chested, as Mom would say... **I learned to service that motor myself... with a little initial help from dad!*
But I transgress... For a friend I recall working on a Seagull once too.* Early 60s Seagull were considered the upper echelon teenie/tiny outboard.* If you have problems starting your Seagull take the carburetor off and check the reed valve.* Probably has a crack in it so the pressure loss to suck gas is diminished.* Hope you can locate a new valve, its a flat metal piece with center flapper tongue, as I recall.* Ebay maybe?* That valve probably needs replacement.* On the*Mighty*Mite that valve was directly behind the tickle pin on the fuel bowl that*was in front of*the item they called a carburetor.* I think similar location on the Seagull* lmao! Memories!!*- Art

-- Edited by Art on Monday 7th of November 2011 05:21:00 PM

-- Edited by Art on Monday 7th of November 2011 06:02:48 PM

Hey Art. What is a Tickle Pin??

A little fuel pump in the top of the carby float bowl, in effect, which you 'tickled' up and down a few times and literally flooded the carby with it to start. Sort of in place of a choke I suspect. Many lawnmowers still used the principle until quite recently.

Forkliftt wrote:
Hey Art. What is a Tickle Pin??
Yeah, Steve - Just what Peter B Said!* Some times it is termed a tickle float.* In that the pin was directly atop the float for flood starting.* Dem little, old o/b's hds such simple mechanical configuration.
as per Peter B: A little fuel pump in the top of the carby float bowl, in effect, which you 'tickled' up and down a few times and literally flooded the carby with it to start. Sort of in place of a choke I suspect. Many lawnmowers still used the principle until quite recently.

this past summer we took our small inflatable dink to the USC marine biology campus near The Isthmus on Catalina Island (where we were on a mooring string).
It is a great way to spend an afternoon, it is a marine sanctuary but you are allowed to dinghy in there and beach it there.
We did snorkeling in the sanctuary and had a great time.

Later afternoon the winds had picked up and with my two kids in the dinghy while launching from the beach was actually a challenge.
The wind was straight onshore, on the way over to our mooring there were small white caps and we got drenched but got home safely.
We have a 9' Achilles with a 3hp evinrude.

I would not have wanted to be in that situation in a pedal boat.. just saying!

BaltimoreLurker wrote:
Marin:

Yeah, I hear that!* I figure I have only 5 - 10 minutes of peddling in me.
*Yeah!! buddy. you got that right.

It could be used to dink around the Marina. Between the floats.

SD

Back
Top Bottom