Fly bridge mesh wraparound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmck

After lurking here since last September and asking several questions about twins vs single and fresh water vs saltwater boats we going to Ohio to sea trial a Mainship 400 that we put a deposit on in January. One of the things my wife wants to add is mesh on the aft end of the fly bridge. I have seen many pictures of trawlers with this. We have small grand children and this seems like a good idea. I don't know what it is called,what fabric is used or how much it will cost to have it done or how it is attached. Any information would be helpful.
By the way the boat has only been in fresh water and is a twin. Thanks for your help.

Sometimes called Spray cloths. Traditionally canvas. More commonly made out of sunbrella. They are lashed onto the rails. Any marine canvas shop can make a set for you.

If you want a mesh surround, look at Pfifertex or Pfifertex Plus. Sailrite sells it. Very easy to work with. You can buy 2” Sunbrella facing and make a binding for the edge. It folds over to give you 1” to put snaps or grommets in. The Pfifertex will sew on a home machine.

Rochfordsupply.com
http://rochfordsupply.com

Also sells several different meshes.
They frequently have some good prices on seconds and overstocks. Worth a check if you want to try a DIY.

There are a couple of TF threads re DIY canvas projects.

pmck, the replies you have gotten are good, if that is the type of thing you are talking about. You may also be talking about a netting that is sometimes put between rails/lifelines. This can keep small children and pets on board. That is a different type of product.

If you want a mesh surround, look at Pfifertex or Pfifertex Plus. Sailrite sells it. Very easy to work with. You can buy 2” Sunbrella facing and make a binding for the edge. It folds over to give you 1” to put snaps or grommets in. The Pfifertex will sew on a home machine.

:iagree: What he said!

Mine doesn't have the canvas binding but that would make it even better.

Fishing netting would be strong and adaptable.
At the second hand marine stores used netting in good condition can be found.

I've not used it for that but for other odds and sods.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom