Finally new countertops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Did them myself!

Attachments

• B4B7B03B-A8D8-452F-9139-5AD3FC567CCD.jpg
    B4B7B03B-A8D8-452F-9139-5AD3FC567CCD.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 114
  • BA962EBE-69F8-4538-B28B-F2CCB8B2580C.jpg
    BA962EBE-69F8-4538-B28B-F2CCB8B2580C.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 121
  • 8E3F5CF8-FB6B-436E-A9D1-54DEDB227BF9.jpg
    8E3F5CF8-FB6B-436E-A9D1-54DEDB227BF9.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 128
Wow! They look great! Can you tell us what went into the removal of the old ones, installation of the new ones? This is something we've discussed doing in the future ourselves.

The entire galley came out awesome!!! Nice work.

Thank you! I have been working on her for 18 months now. Today I will start topside painting her.

The tile backsplash is something called smart tiles. Keeping weight in mind, the tiles are peel and stick interlocking. They look just like glass with no grout. It was one of the first projects I completed. They are extremely durable. The countertops are countertops are counter/shower vinyl. Waterproof. Not much prep involved except clean surface. On starboard side I had a piece of pearl marble cut in a matte finish so I have a cutting area that I don’t have to worry about. The vinyl went over Formica. This vinyl will not stain, lift or allow water intrusion. After months of research, I am happy with my choice. It was a fraction of the price of other material. That is except for the real piece of marble I had cut. It is a bit difficult to work with but all you have to do is take your time. I put it to the test when placing the marble and ice maker back as they are heavy for me. No scratching! I have even let cranberry juice sit on it. No stains!

Greeting,
Ms. D. VERY nice and well done! You wouldn't happen to have any spare time would you. We've got.....aw, um....

RT for you? Absolutely! Whatcha need done?

Wow! Looks great. I would be really interested in the counter top material you used. I used the same backsplash material and love the outcome! I was kicking around the idea of removing all the old laminate, but yours look really good.

Attachments

• C7F7C062-37A6-45FE-A100-45DB115138A6.jpg
    C7F7C062-37A6-45FE-A100-45DB115138A6.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 100
Wow! Looks great. I would be really interested in the counter top material you used. I used the same backsplash material and love the outcome! I was kicking around the idea of removing all the old laminate, but yours look really good.

Fantastic!! It looks great! Amazon. Search peel and stick countertop paper. All different colors patterns and offered in matte or shiny, I used matte. The nice thing is you can also the cleaner of your choice on them!

donna that looks great . I have a crack in the laminate on mine do you think it would show through ?
my galley overhead is also laminate and is cracked in several places do you think it sticks good enough I could remove the laminate and stuck it to bare wood overhead and it stay there?

I used that same product/pvc contact paper (lined an old wooden ice box-looks like its lined with marble!). Its a thin product and will cover small cracks, but larger cracks may show. It will definitely stick in an overhead application. Give it a try - it's not expensive at all. You can use it over plywood but make sure its smooth.
:thumb:

If you use the marble pattern in whatever color you choose, I do not think he will see minor cracks as I had them too. It will stick on anything. I didn’t find it to be particularly thin. In fact I found it much heavier than other papers I have worked with. The outcome really is stellar. Looks like a whole new boat

Amazing result! Very well done. Thanks for the photos and the tips.

Yep, thin was not a good word to describe the product - my bad. Beefy for contact paper. And if you have large cracks they can be filled prior to applying the new pvc paper. I would simply use spackling, let it dry and then sand smooth - then apply the new counter top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom