Which one? Nordic Tug or Taiwanese Trawler.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reel Grace

Vessel Name
Great Commission
Vessel Make
1988 Grand Banks 32 #793
So I'm planning on starting the Great Loop next year from SW Florida. Looking at used boats now. Regardless of what I buy, I'll probably sell a year after I return. They will each bet equipped the same. Looking for advice on a few boats. 32 (34) Nordic Tug maybe with bridge or a 34 Marine Trader 32. Both will be in nice condition. NT with cummins, MT with 135 Ford, purchase at market price. I will be single handling most of the trip with a few fly in, ride for a week or so and fly out guest(1). Obviously they are not priced the same. Resale price, ease of resale, trip comfort, ease of single handling are my concerns. So I'm hoping for the forums input here. I need easy access around the decks for docking. I'm 59 and have cancer that gives me a few physical challenges. Thanks for the help.

Many owners of each brand at this site. I don't own one, but I'm partial to Nordic Tugs. There are lots of these in the PNW and their owners love them. Built well and good resale value. Many travel to Alaska each year.:thumb:

The NT 32 has very narrow side decks. This is one of the reasons we bought the Eagle 32, 6" more beam and wider side decks. Good luck on the buying and safe travels.

The NT 32 has very narrow side decks. This is one of the reasons we bought the Eagle 32, 6" more beam and wider side decks. Good luck on the buying and safe travels.

I have a friend who recently sold his NT 32, his first comment upon looking my Willard over was about how wide the rail was around the outside of the cabin.

His biggest complaint about his boat was that the engine was too large for the way he cruised the boat, too fast at idle to fish trolling, and it sooted up when run slowly for longer periods of time.

Fit and finish, as well as support from NT and the owners group were outstanding!

I am not terribly familiar with the Marine Trader. Lots of NTs around the PNW and I’ve always thought they were very nice boats. The NT will likely have great resale value after a year of the loop.

Coming from sailboats, I was very interested in large, accessible side decks. I ended up with a boat that doesn’t have them and has a very high freeboard. Even with it, I can single hand the boat just fine.

Wide decks are good. Chose not to purchase a smallish NT because the decks were too narrow. Prefer wide, 180-degree decks.

Attachments

• raccoon strait south.jpg
    raccoon strait south.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 228
Greetings,
Mr. RG. Welcome aboard, if I've missed you. One thing you may consider and I don't know IF this would be available in any of the models you're looking at, is doors on both sides of the lower driving station to allow immediate access to either side in short order. As well, safe travels...

I own a marine trader. Not my first boat, but my first big boat. I totally love her.

OP: Sounds like you're gearing up for a real adventure! That's awesome. I think the NT 32 will hands down beat the MT in terms of fit/finish and equipment. Resale would probably be easier too. The Nordic Tugs have an almost cult like following.

Seems like a big gap in purchase price too. What's your budget? A newer NT 32 is in the $200k range and the older ones are still low $100k's. The MT 34 seems like it can be had for well under $100k.

Thanks so much for the great response!
The NT may have a buy price of $125k
The MT is $50-$60
Both are in great shape with electronics, AC, Gen Etc .My problem is I like space and and quality. Two cabins and two heads would be nice.

The lowest priced boats have the greatest market.

To do a zero round trip (purchase price - later sales price) is a good goal.

The simplest way to do this is to purchase in a very very low price area , Florida, and sell the boat in a much higher priced area like the NE.

Simply cleaning , polishing and keeping older but functioning equipment is best.

"PAINT SELLS THE BOAT" The walk up and see a dream is the constant.

The next owner will not value an install of " electronic upgrades" as most will be out dated after a year.

I did the loop last year, solo. Would take a long hard look at getting from the helm to either the floating bollard or lines in the locks. Certainly wouldn't want to have to hurry down from a flybridge to throw a line on a bollard.

Ted

The MT is $50-$60
Both are in great shape with electronics, AC, Gen Etc .My problem is I like space and and quality. Two cabins and two heads would be nice.

space and quality usually come at a premium.

sometimes its design over function, which becomes more of a personal choice as smaller boats have less flexibility in design.

unless you get some type of a distress sale, I would normally expect the higher price on the tugs because of build quality and age.

of course you can pick up old trawlers cheap if "pretty" and "not leaking like a rain forest" arent high on the priority list.

met a guy the other day who just bought a Bristol 42 off craigslist for something like $7500 or $8500. might be the deal or disaster of the week depending on a multitude of coming details about the "real" condition of the boat.

"Would take a long hard look at getting from the helm to either the floating bollard or lines in the locks."

YES!!!

And as the boat will use a single point tie up , the cleat used , just outside the entry, should be LARGE. VERY LARGE 15 or 18 inch would be nice.

Your line end is cast on the cleat , at about 10 + ft is long enough to loop over the bollard cleat and is taken back onboard.

Then the engine is secured.

On departure the line is hauled from the bollard and taken aboard.

The line should never be long enough to reach a prop or shaft, if dropped Overboard.

The MT is $50-$60

I would say don't limit yourself to just these two boats. While they are also on my shortlist (at least for now), my list also includes Island Gypsy and Grand Banks as well. An Island Gypsy Europa is on the top of my list.

If you want two heads, they its pretty much a 36 foot, tri-cabin for the IG and GB.

The NT doesn't have walk around decks (which I think is a minus) but it does have port side and starboard side doors at the pilot house and a wider saloon.

Jim

Dont discount the American Tug.

I looked at a 34ft, it had everything I wanted and needed, bought it even after a walk through of the next size up.
Remember, at least one separate shower compartment. Wouldn't have it any other way. I COULD HAVE stopped right there but, refitted it to make the boat MINE.
Washer/dryier was next. SHOULD HAVE stopped right there but the ball was 'rolling' and I was recycling the money in my checking account. No need to have old musty money in the bank.

Last edited:
I’ve developed a new fondness for the NT type tug boats myself. Not to change the subject too much, but form those in the know, what’s the largest type tug that is still trailerable? I’m also thinking of single handling future and like the ability to skip open water runs and stay river bound. Trailering could be a big advantage for me due to the fact I like up north (Wisconsin). Thoughts??

An Island Gypsy Europa is on the top of my list.
And thanks to that tip, it's now on my list, too. The 'Europa' style in general really rings my bell, though I much prefer a low hp single engine, and that doesn't seem as common as twins.

I’ve developed a new fondness for the NT type tug boats myself. Not to change the subject too much, but form those in the know, what’s the largest type tug that is still trailerable? I’m also thinking of single handling future and like the ability to skip open water runs and stay river bound. Trailering could be a big advantage for me due to the fact I like up north (Wisconsin). Thoughts??

Once you go over 9 1/2' width trailering becomes problematic, with permits required and pilot car or cars. Also the weight of larger vessels makes the tow vehicle something other than your pickup truck.

I have a friend with a NT 32, he owns a delivery truck he used to tow his NT. It still required the vessel to be loaded with slings onto the trailer ($500 a pop) and a pilot car. Launching off a ramp isn't going to happen...

I met a couple that trailered their 29 Ranger tug from N Dakota to Florida for the winter with a non dually pickup.

not sure I would but it has possibilities....

Ranger has a 31 that is trailerable with a big diesel pickup, probably a dually. You would need a wide load permit. Same beam (10 feet) as the 29, almost 2 feet longer, 1000 lb heavier.

I did a portion of the loop in my MT34. It was two months long, two countries and 100 locks. The door next to the helm made docking and locking much easier. Only used the flybridge occasionally to dock but never to lock. If you are going to be by yourself, a thruster would be a good addition for docking in marinas. I don't have one but I have my wife. She is more versatile. You don't need a thruster for anything else.

For the waters you are planning both boats are safe. The speed of the 120 Ford Lehman was perfect for the canals but it would have been nice to go faster in open water. Three separate cabins and two heads were nice when traveling for months in close quarters. After several rainy days everyone is on edge and it's nice to each get a cabin alone for a while. Say what you want about "teaky tacky" Taiwanese wood interiors but they make for a nice cabin to spend some months.

Alormaria I agree. Teak or other wood bring 'warmth' to the interior of the boat.
Exterior teak brings out the check book twice a year.

Most states don’t require chase vehicles until you are over 12’ wide. You do need a permit over 8’6” ( some states 8’). I have towed a 36’ bt 12’ houseboat with a 1 ton dually turbo diesel. Not something I would do regularly but up to 10’ beam you just have to deal with the permits.

The other advantage of the NT 32, is that due to its height it can fairly easily be hauled.

This is another reason it stays on my short list. :)

Jim

I think I would have to look at an Eagle 32 or even a Grand Banks 32 but that’s just me . The Nordic 32 would be easier to sell when your done . Our boat is a 32 ft and the Nordic 32 doesn’t seem to be as heavy built as ours , the Grand Banks or the Eagle but then again the Nordic may just be perfect for the loop . Tough decision.

Great information.........thanks! As much as I like the NT, I think I have to have two separate cabins with heads and showers. My wife says we need them for guests. The MT will be less of a risk as far as dollars lost when I get ready to sell.
So now I keep looking. It would be great to find a nice MONK 36.

The other advantage of the NT 32, is that due to its height it can fairly easily be hauled.

This is another reason it stays on my short list. :)

Jim

Another advantage of being without a flybridge. :D

I have a 2000 NT 32 and find it very easy to single-hand. I have a bow thruster but no stern thruster and have never felt I need one. Docking and locking (Ballard Locks, Seattle) are both fairly doable alone as long as you have a good plan and lines laid out. However, I would not want to lock thru alone in bad weather.

For the trip the OP is planning, he has identified two completely different boat types.
The NT is small interior spaces, MT is large (relatively)
The NT is fine fit and finish, MT not so much
The NT is expensive, MT not so
NT running Cummins will use more fuel than the MT running FL
Twins v Single? May both be singles, the OP's description isn't that clear.
The resale after a year's use, ????? nobody knows if the NT will continue to depreciate from its higher initial value at the same rate, therefore costing more for the year in absolute terms, or not. Or will the MT continue to depreciate at the same rate from its lower initial cost, thereby costing less.
Once guests arrive, the larger spaces in the MT will pay off. As will the flybridge.
IF his bragging is about how much he can save, the MT will shine. About how fine a craft he has, the NT will shine.

Back
Top Bottom