Adding chain w/o weak link

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitkofisle

Vessel Name
MITKOF ISLE
Vessel Make
'76 CHB 34' DC
I have 150' of 5/16" G4 chain on my anchor and would like to install additional chain. *All the links I can find to splice the two lengths together would result in a weak link having considerably less strength than the rest of the gear. *

I want a link that will work in my windlass gypsy. *Any ideas?

I've considered having a link welded and galvanized but I thought there might be an easier option. *

Norm

Rick,

Thanks for the reply and supplier links.*

The Kenter Connecting Links are the type of link I'm looking for but it appears the smallest size they make is for 1/2" chain. *

I may have to do this the old fashioned way; get on the telephone to suppliers.*

Norm

Thank's Rick. Great links especially wescovan.

nomadwilly wrote:
Thank's Rick. Great links especially wescovan.
*Pun intended?

HAHA *......I'd be proud to say it was but ......................

Rick,

Thanks for the links on links.*

The Kenter connecting links are the type of link I'm looking for but it appears they don't make them for anything smaller than 1/2". *

I may have to do this the old fashioned way - get on the phone to a supplier. *

Thanks for the informative reply.

Norm

(This is my second attempt at a reply. *Maybe I'm doing this wrong?)

-- Edited by mitkofisle on Sunday 6th of November 2011 11:56:48 PM

I have been asked for this many times and have never found a good answer. The best I've found is a forged stainless link made by Suncore Stainless. It's pretty close to the right size but it's about half as strong as G4. http://www.suncorstainless.com/forged-connecting-link
I think the problem is that G4 chain is heat treated after it is welded. I wish someone would make a G4 size and strength link but I've never found one. I'll be watching this thread to see if any of the smart folks on this forum can find them for me.

HopCar has just about nailed it.

The other alternative is a titanium D shackle.

Odd link size and difficulty in finding shackles is one of the reasons some choose 3B over G4. I have found Chain Supply's website and personnel most helpful in trying to work around*odd links and shackles. They stock*hard to find alloy and forged*shackles.*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom