Yanmar 4JH4-HTE impeller change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dude: I see your problem from the pic you posted earlier in this thread - talk about wallpapering your hallway through the letter box!

As others have suggested, remove the pump the first time around, then you will know what everything looks like if you do it in-situ the next time.

Take some digital pics if your memory is as bad as mine.

Greasing impellers makes assembly much easier, but petroleum-based grease, or the white lithium stuff, will soften them. Pure silicone grease is the stuff to use. A tube like this will last a long time.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054DWS1W

A Jabsco impeller-puller is a good investment. They make two sizes - you would need the smaller one.

Post #11 in the link below describes a little device I made some years ago for compressing impeller vanes prior to installation. It has repaid me many times for the 10 minutes it took to make.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/stuck-impellers-3848.html

Shoalwaters, I used your idea of a plastic sleeve and 2 hose clamps to make an impeller vane compressor yesterday and it worked very well. I let the impeller soak in a small cup of liquid soap overnight so it was really slippery. Once the engine was started there was a lot of soap bubbles in the exhaust for a few minutes, then all was good. Thanks for sharing that idea.

Last edited:
Just another typical boat job that would take five minutes with the engine sitting on a work bench, that ends up taking four hours because of where it actually sits.

My starboard engine impeller was almost impossible to change. The mechanic where I bought the boat said they drew straws to see who had to change it and the looser had the job. I bought a Jabsco impeller tool that extracts the impeller and had to make a new handle since the T handle would not turn to pull out the old impeller. The real problem was getting the new one in. Tried tie wraps, hose clamps, etc. no good. Found a thread on impellers on this site. Impellertool.com has a sleeve that you insert the impeller into and then the impeller just slides into the pump. Hold the impeller and pull out the sleeve. Works wonderfully. Best tool I own since I could not possibly change the impeller without it. Now it takes about 20 minutes to change it. I also installed Speedseal covers on both engines. They also are great. No affiliation with either company.

Not sure about the seal staying put on the cover, but the screws would be a lot easier to put in.

Glad it worked out for you.

I use Superlube to”glue” the O ring in place when installing the Speedseal cover. It works pretty good.

Plus 1 on Speedseal cover. Makes the job much easier.

This is the tool I use on my 4JH3E (rearward facing pump - have to work blind because you can't remove the pump without removing the engine mount!)

Link: IMPELLER PULLER

Just ordered one of these. Though I have access to the Jabsco puller, I don't have enough clearance to use it. The Needle nose style should work good for me on the Volvo. After spending 1.5 hours last week getting the old one out with Pick tools and screwdrivers.I realized in an emergency that was not acceptable. Also ordered some Knurl headed screws from Mcmaster for a do-it-yourself Speedseal set-up...

Keep a couple welding mirrors on board. Wrench in one hand and mirror in other. Seems to help better than just feeling for it.

Back
Top Bottom