View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #91
Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
RE: What would you do?

Marin, if I could afford to upgrade, to be honest, the main reasons I would get another boat would be....

1. To get a bit bigger, for better functionality, but not much bigger.

2. By far the main reason, to get newer. Ok, maybe newer still starts wearing out, but it takes longer, and frankly at times I get sick of there always being something that has to be done because it is old, and no longer working properly/looking good/as reliable as it should be. Like just today I have had to take my (thankfully able to be serviced and got working again) anchor winch, which never let us down - until now, down to re-install. One upside was while doing this I discovered why my hot water system was not heating. The circuit was plugged with crud, which I finally managed to clear by threading curtain wire through each side, then setting up a flushing system with hose and a few cunning temporary connections, and flushed it all over the side. Another problem solved, but in a newer boat it would have been unnecessary. To top that off, having not long ago re-painted the whole boat (the hull professionally re-sprayed with 2 pack), I have identified a possibly suspect patch in one cabin wall, which was not evident when I repainted, and may well mean a soft rotted patch which will require a section of the cabin wall to be cut out and replaced. Yes, with timber you can do it, but it costs, and one always fears it might become a 'can of worms' when you start a job like that. Oh, for a solid fibreglass superstructure, like the hull. Later models all are. Is the superstructure of your GB 36 fibreglass Marin, or just glass over ply? If the latter then that alone in my view, is a sound reason for not sinking a lot of money into a re-fit. Just sayin'....as they say....
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote