Deck Cranes and Dinghy Davits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sent you a PM on this, Ted. *Didn't want to Shang-hi this thread any more than it already was.

The best solution

Hello,

Here from Atkins & Hoyle Ltd. Reading your post I can see you are in need of some davits or a crane. Here at Atkins & Hoyle we offer a wide variety of cranes deigned to fit in any mounting situation. Please visit our website at Atkinshoyle.com and click on "Cranes" "Model 3000" which can either be through deck, or rail mounted. You can also see our "Rotating Adjustable Rail-Mount" davits which can be adjusted to mount on your rounded transom, the model "1400" or "1900" would work well for you. Feel free to call or email us, we are eager to hear from you.

Thanks,
Eric Atkins

Spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam /

hello,

here from atkins & hoyle ltd. Reading your post i can see you are in need of some davits or a crane. Here at atkins & hoyle we offer a wide variety of cranes deigned to fit in any mounting situation. Please visit our website at atkinshoyle.com and click on "cranes" "model 3000" which can either be through deck, or rail mounted. You can also see our "rotating adjustable rail-mount" davits which can be adjusted to mount on your rounded transom, the model "1400" or "1900" would work well for you. Feel free to call or email us, we are eager to hear from you.

Thanks,
eric atkins

spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam / vvspam / spam / vvspam / spam / spam / spam / spam / spam /

we used a 12 volt motor. We rigged it with a dedicated battery to prevent having to make long runs and to make it totally independent. we used a $40 solar charger from west marine to keep it charged and it worked like a dream

we used a 12 volt motor. We rigged it with a dedicated battery to prevent having to make long runs and to make it totally independent. we used a $40 solar charger from west marine to keep it charged and it worked like a dream

Smart

I run a fair amount at night and my biggest concern is hitting floating debris from cargo ships. If you are passage making, you are running at night. . . . I want a steel hull with a real collision bulkhead. IMO, if you are not running at night, you don't need a passagemaker.

Ted

I have traveled thousands of miles offshore and have never seen anything big enough to do damage semi-submerged (ie, too low to return a decent radar echo) in the water more than 20 miles offshore. Day or night, I regard the risk of hitting a container offshore as negligible, but even during the day, I suspect that I am unlikely to see a semi-submerged container. I may be wrong about the remoteness of the risk of encountering a semi-submerged container (and I am not sure how much damage would be done to my hull if I hit it at 8.5 knots), but if the risk is to great to disregard, wouldn't one need a steel hulled vessel, day or night?
By the way, if we hit something and start taking on water, my plan is to grab the ditch bag (containing an EPIRB, VHF with GPS, and sat phone) and hop in my life raft. (Actually, if conditions permit, we will hop in my (boat deck mounted) dinghy and take the life raft with us.

Last edited:
Nordhavens Quality

Hey guys, come on. Methinks the Nordhaven naysayers protest too much. Like any motor yacht Nordhaven have some great qualities and some flaws. I work PT at a local West Marine and all the owners I've met love them. Yes, a single engine can be a real challenge in a tight spot, but that's where good seamanship and a BIG bow thruster come in.

Nordhavens are too rich for my budget, but my wife and are in the process of selling our Cal 39 and buying a Jefferson 42. The comments on this string are very, very helpful. Especially since those dinghy cranes ain't cheap!

Eric,
Nordhavens are f'ugly. They remind me of Hummer SUVs, worthless. As far as a passagemaker, if you were going to buy a Nord, take the money and buy a real passagemaker (steel hull).

I run a fair amount at night and my biggest concern is hitting floating debris from cargo ships. Somewhere between 2,000 and 10,000 containers are lost from container ships every year. While most sink, some float because of their cargo. If you are passage making, you are running at night. If I'm going to be days away from help, I want a steel hull with a real collision bulkhead. IMO, if you are not running at night, you don't need a passagemaker.

Ted

-- Edited by O C Diver on Friday 7th of January 2011 11:07:01 PM
Being out offshore at night definitely keeps you focused. Especially if you can't afford a steel hulled boat.

I've always liked them. Do you really need them in the ICW or the Bahamas? Probably not. But if you like the look, get a boat that has them. If we all liked the same style, boats would be pretty boring. The immense variety of styles and owners' modifications out there is one of my favorite things about cruising.

Back
Top Bottom