I'm Losing My Desire for Boating....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly right, Moonstruck....spot on.

i'm still alive! In the mountains of Arizona....Hate typing on this iPad...Will make a post when I get back...Tell Swampe not to worry, I can afford it...very interesting posts...I've done this bfore with a 54' sport fisher donation...so far, haven't changed my mind....I can certainly understand the doubt some have about my sincerity, like my son. He couldn't afford the yearly upkeep if he wanted to...loved the outright offers to take it off my hands...just getting rid of the boat is easy! Asurring it gets in the right hands is much more dfficult. More later.

SeaHorse II wrote:
i'm still alive! In the mountains of Arizona....Hate typing on this iPad...Will make a post when I get back...Tell Swampe not to worry, I can afford it...very interesting posts...I've done this bfore with a 54' sport fisher donation...so far, haven't changed my mind....I can certainly understand the doubt some have about my sincerity, like my son. He couldn't afford the yearly upkeep if he wanted to...loved the outright offers to take it off my hands...just getting rid of the boat is easy! Asurring it gets in the right hands is much more dfficult. More later.
*Glad for the update. I don't know you but can relate on many levels. Wife and I have given away items we've enjoyed to people we felt would appreciate them in the past as well. (nothing quite as valuable though) I have had peers and family members call me everything from foolish to stupid for doing so. It's a shame that they will never know the feeling one gets inside when one gives away something treasured to someone deserving of it and willing to maintain it.

The mountains of Arizona are a great place to noodle out what's on your mind. Enjoy.

SeaHorse II wrote:
i'm still alive! In the mountains of Arizona....Hate typing on this iPad...
*Walt--- you can buy a regular keyboard for the iPad. Either docking or a Bluetooth.* This is what I'll do when we get our iPad 3 next year, or whenever it comes out.* I agree, the iPad's on-screen keyboard is near worthless.

I am sort of in the same situation as we been a live aboard for 15 years, we are talking about retiring, 2014, and we have talk about what to do with the boat as my wife wants to travel and maybe live on land but in a warmer climate for 9 month of the year. We own a condo which we never moved into so we have it rented.* However, I can not justify the cost and time of owning the Eagle if we did not live on her.* The 3 remaining months of the year I would probable spend maintaining her, which I presently enjoy more than taking her out.*
Being the Eagle is 33 years old, sort of custom ugly trawler which requires a lot of TLC, the potential buyers are limited.* **Also I plan on being some what picky about who buys the Eagle being there are only five 58 Roughwaters left.* So it would take some one that enjoys maintaining and can afford her.

My wife says she/we are moving to a warm clime during the winter for sure.* So in a couple of years we will either move her back onto Lake Union/Washington which are fresh water to be stored or move her to a warmer climates.* However, the best place to sell her is probable in the PNW as that is what she was designed and fitted for as a last resort.

My ex wife gave me a choice her of my 1967 Olds 442.* Sadly I made the worng choice.* I sold the car and my ex divorced me 2 years later.* DAM, I miss the car!
hmm.gif

SeaHorse II wrote:
Tell Swampe not to worry, I can afford it...very interesting posts...I've done this bfore with a 54' sport fisher donation...so far, haven't changed my mind...
*I must say Walt I am going to enjoy watching where this goes. *I love a good story and I see someone is going to be very very happy. *Hopefully someone on this forum or one like it. *Most of the people I've met are very sincere and full of great advice. *

So you are back.

after*time spent* reflecting over your. Shall we say delema. What did you come up with.

We are all dieing to know. At least I am.

Having never been in your position. I can't imagine what I would do.

As someone said it was quite a bomb to drop on the forum.

We're waiting.

What ever you come up with. It is a great story to tell the boys down at the harbor.

SD

Walt,

What ever you do w that boat you better make sure you stay active on the forum. Wish I was out in the sun w you. Someone said it rained 30" in the last 30 days here. Someone else said October is our worst month. Looking at a blog from Columbia about a guy and his friends building a 12' punt in his apartment and then lowering it down from about the 4th floor on a rope. I do'nt think the boat had a single thing marine on/in it except a small OB. But all the smiles and group fun was everywhere in the blog. Also they obviously know a lot more about computers than both of us put together.*

By way of a comment on what has transpired since I first brought this subject up, I offer the following. Keep in mind that I did not assign a time table to the matter in my original post.

A lot of water has gone over the dam in the last 3 weeks. I've been admonished by my wife (who is almost never on the boat) and will have no vote* in the matter, I've been PMed by fellow Forum members, throwing their hats in the ring, 3 or 4 people on the dock have "stopped by" to say hi and demonstrate their interest, in a gift, not a sale, and I have been in contact with one Forum member who shall remain nameless. (That is, unless he/she prefers not to be.) During this time I holed up in my house in Sedona for about eleven days.

The whole process is quite interesting and most don't believe I'll actually do it. (Right! SWAMPU?)* While conducting my search I've maintained the boat, added some new stuff and am presently having her lazarette & shower sump compartment cleaned and painted. The swim platform is also in need of another coat of teak sealer & oil. If I decide to change the swivel on the anchor to one that Marin suggested (I can't remember the manufacturer) the boat will be as perfect as I know how to make her.* Within reason ($$$) of course.

As things unfold I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

Attachments

• img_0185.jpg
    img_0185.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 62
Walt, I have not been paying much attention to this thread, and have just read the begining and cannot believe it.

My little IG 32 has quickly won a place in my heart. We have only had her about three years, and she is old and slow but I just like owning her.

I too, spend time aboard doing little and not so little projects or just putsing about.

My Wife has enjoyed boating with me for more than a couple decades but now is not into it as much as in the past.* Mind you she has been there and put up with a lot on some of our cruises.* She still talks of taking this boat to some of our past haunts but I do not really know if it will happen.

I still enjoy owning the boat, we go out on small trips and sometimes I just go solo, it does not bother me I like "messing around on boats"

It seems to me, money is not an issue for you if you can give the boat away, but I say keep her.* It does not matter how much you use her, if you Love owning the boat it is like any other possession, Artwork, Cars, etc.

Keep the boat, continue to enjoy taking care of her,* So it is a hobby that is independent of your Wifes interest--So What!!!!

Thats why lots of boats were and are named "Mistress".

Just because you said you are thinking of giving her away, does not mean you have to.

I hate to say it but your perfect "owner" will probably sell her faster than you think.*

Just my thoughts!*** JohnP

JohnP wrote:
I hate to say it but your perfect "owner" will probably sell her faster than you think.

Interesting comment as I have gotten that feeling from two guys I've talked to. The bottom line though, is after the gift, I have no control over when that person sells it. I did get one really interesting idea from a fellow Forum member that I can't go in to just yet. There may be a way to really "qualify" the recipient.

Thanks for the kind words John.

SeaHorse II wrote:
If I decide to change the swivel on the anchor to one that Marin suggested (I can't remember the manufacturer) the boat will be as perfect as I know how to make her.* Within reason ($$$) of course.
*Walt--- The swivel is the WASI Powerball made by Swisstech and it's sold or distributed by Swisstech America http://www.swisstech-america.com/

While this is reputed to be just about the strongest and best anchor swivel in the world, it's not cheap and unless one anchors out a lot*under pretty extreme conditions it's probably not worth the investment.

As I've stated before we have not yet found any value in having a swivel between our all-chain rode and our anchor.* After observing that all the boaters in our marina around us who have*a lot of anchoring experience don't use swivels at all, and reading*about their "weak link" aspects,*we got rid of ours.*

While a swivel might be of some use in turning the anchor to line up with the pulpit during retrieval, we've found that simply twisting the chain between the rear and front pulpit rollers accomplishes the same thing.* And we have never had an instance of a twisted or kinked anchor rode even after three days of rotating around the anchor in our constantly changing currents and winds in the islands.

So unless you just like the look of a big hunk of polished stainless between your chain and the anchor, I'm thinking a swivel is a kind of waste of time and money.

As to your notion of donating your boat to a deserving person or organization, that can certainly be a satisfying thing to do if the financial aspect makes sense or doesn't matter.* But the comments above about the recipient turning around and selling the boat bear consideration.* Unless you get a legal document stating that the recipient won't do this, or won't do it for x-amount of time, you have no control over what the recipient will do.* Even a person who appears to be ideal as a recipient of your generosity can have circumstances in their life change to the point where the boat has to go.

So the only way I think this can work is if one approaches this idea with the notion that once the boat is gone, it's gone forever and you don't want to know anything about it anymore.

When Augie Busch (one-time CEO of Annheuser Busch) was forced by his greedy, self-centered children to sell his beloved, Rhodes-designed, 120'*yacht "A and Eagle," he stipulated to the broker that he didnt' care what it sold for but an absolute reguirement was that it be sold to someone who would take and keep the boat somewhere where he would never see it again.

In this case, the buyer was The Boeing Company, and the yacht was taken from Florida to Seattle where it was renamed "Daedalus."* And Augie never saw it again.

This is what I think you might want to do if you proceed with your dontation plan.

(For anyone interested, "A and Eagle" is the official name of the Annheuser Busch logo, hence Augie's choice of the name for his yacht.)

This is the boat Augie loved so much he never wanted to see it again after he was forced to sell it.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 3rd of November 2011 08:35:05 PM

Attachments

• daedalus.jpg
    daedalus.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 61
nomadwilly wrote:
Walt,

What ever you do w that boat you better make sure you stay active on the forum.*
*Amen Eric, in perusing this forum's search feature I have found much wisdom and humor in your contributions. Good luck in your quest.

Thanks, Marin, for the link. You're right, $228 is a little steep for an anchor swivel! One hell of a catalogue though.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 3rd of November 2011 08:48:14 PM

Attachments

• powerball.jpg
    powerball.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 85
Walt,* The point I was trying to make is for some people, taking care of the boat is how they enjoy the boat.* A lot of boats just sit with no one even visiting them for months and years.* Just look at most marina's, only a handful of people have time for their boats.

If you have been on your boat 3 or 4 days a week, you are way ahead of most people. I*don't see how this qualifies as lost boating desire?

The other day I was bringing some tools and material down the dock to work on my boat,* A neighbor said " John, you should be heading South down the ICW, you never have any fun!"* I gave him the benefit of a "your right" reply, but I was having fun, I was doing what I wanted to do.

Keep the boat or sell it or donate it, but do not feel guilty if are not actively using it.* You may be enjoying your boat a lot more than you think.

JohnP

JohnP wrote:
...for some people, taking care of the boat is how they enjoy the boat.* A lot of boats just sit with no one even visiting them for months and years.
There is a GB36 the same vintage as ours in one of the port's older open-front shed boathouses in our marina.* We have been in this marina for over 13 years now and this boat has never moved, never had anyone on it, has not changed one iota.* An acquaintece recently got into the boathouse to look at the boat and he told me it's a mess, at least on the outside.* Yet the moorage fees are paid every month and the owner obviously has insurance or the port would have kicked the boat out.* I learned recently that the same owner also has a GB32 somewere in the marina in exactly the same condition.

Aother fellow in a large boathouse near our dock has been working the same amount of time (13 years) on a large 50-something foot wood cruiser.* Much of the work has been hired out but he works alongside the shipwrights.* This boat has been completely rebuilt at least three or four times since we've been observing this, and has never left the boathouse except for being turned around occasionally.* Lord knows how much money he's put into the thing--- I guess it's near perfect as one can get.* It's finally finished to his satisfaction..... and is up for sale.

OK Walt,*I can take her off your hands but.**The qualifier is that you would have to agree to coming on the trip up to Prince William Sound Alaska. I wouldn't even think of shipping her up here. She would have to come on her own bottom. Think of that voyage. What an adventure.*A sort of last hurrah.

We could stay in touch with the forum on the way and even hook up with all the boaters in the PNW on the way. I would love the opportunity to meet Marin up in the islands and Eric in Thorn bay.

We could do the trip in about*2 month. perhaps*3 if we do a little fishing along the way.

You see, this would let you get the boat as far away as possible and I can tell you now my Admiral says she could make an effort to get on the boat. Just a few modifications to make her more handicapped friendly.

I can guarantee this she would be well used well loved and kept till I can't do it anymore.

What do you say want to go for a long sea voyage.

I wouldn't be able to do it till the spring. That would give me a chance to sell my boat(chok chok). and have the money for fuel, food and scotch. Oh yeah and bait.

Oh and we would have to install an Espar or wabesto. Even in the summer it can*get cold out on the water here in Alaska, Especially by the glaciers

SD*

skipperdude wrote:
* The qualifier is that you would have to agree to coming on the trip up to Prince William Sound Alaska. I wouldn't even think of shipping her up here. She would have to come on her own bottom.
*SD: Nice try but no cigar! You've brought up the very thing that I'm losing my desire for....a long boating trip! Besides, I don't want to consign her to the frozen north. Sorry about that, all you guys in the frozen north. Incidentally, I don't consider Seattle and the Puget sound area to be the frozen north. In fact, I'm giving that area a lot of thought lately. (Another member of the Forum has counseled me on a possible route to go.) It's funny though that I've had no interest from that region even though she would be a great little trawler for two people. (let the PMs fly!) :juggle: :whisper:

Now that's funny Walt. People actually PM you and ask for your boat.

I was just funnin.

It sounds like one of those shows about how the lottery changed my life.

And wow it really sounds like you Have lost your desire for boating.

*Sad I hope it never happens to me.

But then again if you are able to give away a boat as valuable as yours. You have the wherewithal to pursue anything you desire. In that case I envy you good luck my friend. May you find Peace and contenment. It has been a pleasure.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Friday 4th of November 2011 03:36:12 PM

skipperdude wrote:
*In that case I envy you good luck my friend. May you find Peace and contenment. It has been a pleasure.
I knew you were putting me on, so I went along with it. The quotation above, however, seems rather dark & final. I have peace & contentment which allows me to even entertain the thought of gifting the boat. Think about it for a minute. If I sell it for what I think its worth, the buyer will be strapped with a considerable tax bill, (depending on which state he or she is in) while a gift is a gift! (One of you tax attorneys can step in here at any time.)
It's my understanding that, as a gift, the recipient has no tax liability. If the boat goes any distance, the freight bill will be bad enough which the recipient will pay. He has to have some skin in the game! Now, if I can find some deserving party down here, (San Diego) the problem is solved. So far, no one in this area measures up but I have not published my intent in this area either. As I have stated all along...I have no time table and I am carefully working my way through the matter.

Attachments

• img_0192.jpg
    img_0192.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 63
It's my understanding that you can give away about 10k per year without tax issues. I'm no attorney though.

skipperdude wrote:
Now that's funny Walt. People actually PM you and ask for your boat.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Friday 4th of November 2011 03:36:12 PM
*That was my second thought after reading his post SD.
I'll admit my first thought was to check my PM history and make double sure I didn't do something that*gauche on an evening after enjoying an extra glass of scotch.:relax:

swampu wrote:
It's my understanding that you can give away about 10k per year without tax issues. I'm no attorney though.
*Actually it's 13K/year to multiple recipients, if desired, but the gift law is more complicated than that. Everyone has a one time gift limit of 1 million dollars that need not be transacted at one time. You can give various amounts over the years but the sum total cannot be more than 1 million, cumulative. Currently it's $5 million but that ends next month. Thanks Congress! (Again, that's my understanding but I'm open to being corrected should a writer surface with information that is in direct opposition to my own understanding.)

CPseudonym wrote:I'll admit my first thought was to check my PM history and make double sure I didn't do something that*gauche on an evening after enjoying an extra glass of scotch.:relax:
*I have received some PMs by people throwing their collective hats in the ring which I don't consider to be gauche" at all! I have lived a good portion of my life by going against these PC practices. Most of the PMs I've received are anchored in the belief that I will give the boat to the most deserving candidate. If that's your "pitch", then I haven't made myself clear.

I'm not out to give a gift to someone who is down on their luck or has dreams of owning a boat that they otherwise can't afford. Should a multi billionaire contact me with a passion for boating that I can truly buy in to, he's got it!

SeaHorse II wrote:CPseudonym wrote:I'll admit my first thought was to check my PM history and make double sure I didn't do something that*gauche on an evening after enjoying an extra glass of scotch.:relax:
*I have received some PMs by people throwing their collective hats in the ring which I don't consider to be gauche" at all! I have lived a good portion of my life by going against these PC practices. Most of the PMs I've received are anchored in the belief that I will give the boat to the most deserving candidate. If that's your "pitch", then I haven't made myself clear.

I'm not out to give a gift to someone who is down on their luck or has dreams of owning a boat that they otherwise can't afford. Should a multi billionaire contact me with a passion for boating that I can truly buy in to, he's got it!

*FWIW, It was meant to bring a little levity is all. I will admit that I looked up your boat brand and model on Yachtworld when this thread started and decided it was outside the comfort zone as a first cruiser. No "pitch" intended or implied.

One or two boats from now I may change my mind
biggrin.gif

Too small for me and I'm not 100% convinced you're serious, not just messing with our collective heads, but whatever the motivation you're providing lots of entertainment.* And so far it hasn't cost you anything - gotta love that too, no matter how much money you've got.*

I've got a Malibu Response LX that has served us really well but hasn't been in the water for 2 years now.* We're not ready to get rid of it but I can guarantee that when we are no freeloaders need apply.* It will either go to a kid or to the highest bidder.

A friend with a trawler told us to check your posting. Wow, sorry to hear that you are loosing interest in your boating.* We have been boating with our 1986 Bayliner on the mid-BC coast for 3 years now.* We love it.* My husband grew up on boats on rivers, lakes, and the ocean in the SF Bay area of California. We live on a lake in B.C. and are avid water people for over 30 years.* The transition to the coast and ocean waters has been a natural for us.* We both love being out exploring, fishing, kayaking the protected waters of our mid-coast.*

Obviously, we will need to find a better boat so that we can cruise for more lengthly stays and comfort too.* We are interested in finding a trawler and if you wanted to discuss options we would be honoured.* This includes purchase, not simply a gifting.* My husband enjoys maintaining and mechanicing on our current boat, I would venture to say as much as we do boating...but likely that is a stretch!

We are traveling to N.California for Thanksgiving to visit aging parents and could try to connect in San Diego during this time as we have a nephew and his family living in that area too.*

If you are interested in any further discussion, let us know. The BC coast is an amazing place and somewhere you surely would enjoy coming to explore.* So regardless, do contact us and we can inspire you to explore this area along with us...

-- Edited by sundog on Friday 11th of November 2011 02:17:49 PM

Sundog:

I appreciate your response to this thread but in all honesty there are about 10 peope I'm considering giving the boat to. 5 are on this Forum!

Thanks for the reply, though.

Update from my CPA

I ask if the recipient would have to pay a sales or use tax when he or she receives the boat as a "gift."

Here is his reply:

Attachments

• boat gift tax question copy.jpg
    boat gift tax question copy.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 71
sorry to hear about your troubles.

She is a beautiful boat and whilst others think you should send her off to far of waters, I think San Diego is a perfectly great place for boating.
We are in Long Beach and enjoy cruising to nearby ports as well as Catalina.

I have a counter proposition - I will pass on the buck so to say.
I mean, what would I use two boats for? So I would simply give away my 38' California in the same manner.
Being in Long Beach, you would obviously be welcome to visit her anytime.

Per wrote:
I mean, what would I use two boats for? So I would simply give away my 38' California in the same manner.
On the other hand, if you sold your Californian you would then have sufficient funds to keep Walt's boat in the condition he is hoping it will be kept in for as long as you had the boat.* You could even hire out things like waxing and boat detailing if you're too busy to do it yourself :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom