First time towing the tender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k9medic

Vessel Make
420AC Sea Ray
We headed out Saturday morning for a trial "tender tow" run of about 70nm which ultimately ended up with us at the shipyard in Tarpon Springs for some scheduled maintenance.

The tender is a 16' Wahoo (Whaler clone) powered by a brand new 90hp Suzuki. The tow setup I have discussed here before but it amounts to 5/8" double braided nylon line connected to 10mm dyneema.

The plan was to run at about 8kts and the boat did great the entire time. I have tested this tow set up for short distances as 17-18kts. too.

Having the tender with us really came in handy as a friend of mine that was following us down had engine troubles on one engine. He was already travelling slower than us thanks to his copious amounts of barnacles so we were about 10nm ahead of him when he had the issue.

I unhooked the tender to go help my friend and left my 13 year old in charge of the big boat with instructions to continue south and that I would catch up.

By the time we got my friends boat back moving, my own boat was almost 15nm away! It was a short trip though at the speeds that the Wahoo can run.

Before anybody gets too excited, my 13 year old has had a Florida boaters license since he was 10 and has been running the big boat (to include docking) for 2 years. He's more capable than many of the the "captains" on the water today.

Overall the trip was great and we stopped in Turtle Cove marina for the final night for the planned bottom job the next morning.

The worst thing that happened was on when trailering the tender back home. I lost an axle bearing and had to McGyver some things to replace it.

29541196_10208674003087808_6234129414473879532_n.jpg

29570272_10208674003367815_1510726155614446974_n.jpg

29595356_10208682925830871_6140029482946048517_n.jpg

I unhooked the tender to go help my friend and left my 13 year old in charge of the big boat with instructions to continue south and that I would catch up.

By the time we got my friends boat back moving, my own boat was almost 15nm away! It was a short trip though at the speeds that the Wahoo can run.

Before anybody gets too excited, my 13 year old has had a Florida boaters license since he was 10 and has been running the big boat (to include docking) for 2 years. He's more capable than many of the the "captains" on the water today.

This isn't intended to be a finger wagging; think of it as forewarned to avoid being hassled by LEOs for improper operation of a MV. What you decide in relation to the law is obviously your own decision.

"No one under 14 years of age may operate any PWC on Florida waters at any time, even if such person possesses a Boating Safety Education ID Card."

https://www.boat-ed.com/florida/handbook/page/16/Who-May-Operate-a-Vessel/

This isn't intended to be a finger wagging; think of it as forewarned to avoid being hassled by LEOs for improper operation of a MV. What you decide in relation to the law is obviously your own decision.

"No one under 14 years of age may operate any PWC on Florida waters at any time, even if such person possesses a Boating Safety Education ID Card."

https://www.boat-ed.com/florida/handbook/page/16/Who-May-Operate-a-Vessel/

Good point but he’s running a boat not a PWC (sea doo, jet ski, etc...) so the restriction is no applicable.

Last edited:
Good point but he’s running a boat not a PWC (sea doo, jet ski, etc...) so the restriction is no applicable.

Perhaps also check your insurance coverage and get the answer in writing from your agent - it may come in handy.

Your boat insurance may stipulate an age and other conditions for operators of your covered boat(s).

Gotcha. For my policies, thankfully any person who shares a residence is covered as an operator.

It’s similar to an airplane policy. No need for additional named ensured.

From my policy “family means any person who resides in your household and is related to you by blood, marriage, legal domestic partnership, or adoption. This includes or any ward or foster child in your care who resides in your household.”

Last edited:
K9, nice photos and story. Especially the part about your son and his expertise with the boat. I have a 7 year old grandson who is already in training to run my boat and by the time he's about 10 I figure he'll be able to take full control.

Some kids "get it", some don't and some never will.

Yep, I was running a 26' Chris Craft Cavalier at 11 yrs old:thumb:

Some kids are naturally going to be better than their parents at running the boat. They just pay attention, absorb the techniques, quietly show their competence when required. Each of my kids were on the boat before they were born, so grew up learning.
The best judge of the competence of the 13 yr old is his Dad.
Good on you.

I think it's a great idea to tow a larger tender especially in protected waters. They seem to actually tow better and are easier to board in my experience.

Kevin

Looks like it is working well. I remember your posts researching options. Sounds like you have a solid approach.

Mark

I think it's a great idea to tow a larger tender especially in protected waters. They seem to actually tow better and are easier to board in my experience.

Kevin

I've been studying this as well. The trick are those unprotected waters between the protected waters. As in gulf stream exposure. The calmest prevailing winds seem to align with the highest percentage of thunderstorms and water spouts, as one example. At least in my cruising waters. We've had some exciting crossings in the middle of summer at 20kts, dodging multiple water spouts. Crossing at 7 knts with a 17 footer back there on a string will be a different experience.

I suggest that you make up a rig of "towing lights" to carry on board the big boat so if you ever get caught underway in the dark you can be legal, and be safer. I would also put a strobe light on the tender that would be more visible than regular running lights, and I would still have it on in the daylight.

Good input. I have had to search for a 13' whaler at night, in 3 to 4' seas. In the gulf stream..Tow line frayed.

IF you bring a larger tender in with you into the marina,
do they charge you an addition fee for added length ?

IF you bring a larger tender in with you into the marina,
do they charge you an addition fee for added length ?

I have towed larger RIBS for years and it varies where you go so calling ahead can be of help.
FWIW - if that is Clinton Ct when we traveled there they did not charge us , nor at BI, Mystic, some marinas at Riverhead etc.

Great story and thank you sharing even knowing you get a few people questioning.....Koliver said it best. I am heading to Alaska (Everette departure) with my son (turned 13 this month). While he has ran the boat and pretty much owns dingy duties including launch and shuttle. I hope to spend some quality time this summer with the rest of the skills needed to take over, including docking.

Hats off to you.

I'm just not sure if its a good idea to tow my 16ft flat
down the Miss and ten tom from Iowa.
It would be a great fishing boat and tender but not
sure if there is much extra expense at marinas and inconvenience in the locks.
I defer to more experienced boaters.

I have had mixed responses from Marina’s.

Some let it slide since it’s such a small boat and they realize we are not some megayacht.

Where we will be staying in the Bahamas, they will let us keep it at the dinghy dock since we will be there for about three weeks.

I like the idea of adding a strobe light to it when towing.

I think the strobe is a bad idea, and the Nav Rules say it should be avoided. The tender should have its prescribed running lights on at night.

I think the strobe is a bad idea, and the Nav Rules say it should be avoided. The tender should have its prescribed running lights on at night.

I checked the regs on this but don't see where the NAV rules say it should be avoided. If anything, it looks as though if the tender can't be lighted with running lights that it should have something else. hence:

"When from any sufficient cause it is impracticable for a vessel or object being towed to exhibit the lights or shapes [Intl] prescribed in paragraph (e) or (g) of this Rule, all possible measures shall be taken to light the vessel or object being towed or at least indicate the presence of [such / unlighted] vessel or object."

Look under the Rule 36 about getting attention.

"Any light to attract the attention of another vessel shall be such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to navigation. For the purpose of this Rule the use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided. "

And anyway, why would you have a tender that needed towing that didn't have running lights of any kind?

We run a bright white 360degree led when towing.
Dinghy also has auto bilgepump
Cheap reversing camera off eBay looking aft to do an occasional check.

I'm just not sure if its a good idea to tow my 16ft flat

down the Miss and ten tom from Iowa.

It would be a great fishing boat and tender but not

sure if there is much extra expense at marinas and inconvenience in the locks.

I defer to more experienced boaters.

I have seen aluminum flatboats swamped by tows quite often. At it will be a PIA in the locks. Hoist it if you can.

Very cool that your young’un is being trained so well and young! I have thought about towing our skiff too. One idea to consider is sticking a radar reflector on a pole in a rod holder, just in case you become separated at night. It would make it easier to spot!

Two points: first, it looks like you are towing a bit far back from the boat. We had the best luck putting the tender on the second wave aft of the transom. Also be sure that you use floating ski rope: it will stretch and absorb shock loads as well as staying out of your wheels.

Also be sure that you use floating ski rope: it will stretch and absorb shock loads as well as staying out of your wheels.

I used yellow three strand poly for this purpose when I fashioned a redneck towing bridle for our 13' Whaler. Worked great as described, with the added benefit of being quite visible when under way. However, as I determined through my version of scientific research, floating line does not stay out of the wheels when slack and the boat is in reverse.

Back
Top Bottom